Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2year old active EB and share a beach house with a couple who just had a baby. The other couple are not huge dog fans but we all get along fine. I am not sure how to slowly introduce their baby to my baby. Milo is a jumper and gets very excited when ever we have guests. He has been around other children, but they are older and have dogs of their own. I am open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If it was me and I knew my friends were not big on dogs to begin with I don't think I would bring my dog into the mix then. Especially if he's a jumper and there's a young child around. My philosophy has always been why put them in a situation where's there is a chance of anything happening. We as the humans have to be the one's to not let our loved ones be put in situations they are not meant for.

If there were no young child and they were not big dog lovers but would tolerate my dog then I say heck give it a try. But not where there is a small child. And for sure if the small child were around I would have my dog on a leash and in my control at all times.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you...our plan is to keep them separated, I would never leave them alone. We can keep him in our bedroom or outside. Just looking for suggestions to slowly introduce him to the new baby, so that at some point we could calmly be in the same room.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How old is the baby? Usually really little babies just eat all day, and are attached to mommy anyways (laying on laps, or being carried around). I have a 1 year old, and she started sitting and wanting to be on the ground at about 6 months. She did also like to go in her swing, and bouncy chair, but all you have to do with the bouncy chair is put it up on a big sturdy table. The only thing they won't be able to do is put the baby on the ground, or leave the baby unsupervised when your pooch is around. If they don't have a problem with your dog coming, then I wouldn't really worry about it. Babies also usually find dogs to be VERY entertaining, so I'm sure that they will love that your dog keeps their baby amused, LOL.

As for introducing your dog to the new baby.....it's usually good to just let him smell one of the baby's blankets first, so that your dog isn't overly excited. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
You said that you share a beach house, well to me that means they are going to meet sometime. It would be better thast they meet on your terms. I would slowly introduce them to each other. Most likely the dog will be a little excited but you will be incontrol. Let the dog check the baby out sniffing etc. I truely believe if you do it this manner the dog will become the baby's best friend and be protective. What I mean by that is he the dog will be able to alert you or mommy that the child is in trouble (getting into things, etc).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I certainly agree with keeping your dog on-leash & letting it sniff soemthing that belongs to baby. Also, if Harley's going to be around a very little one, she's in a down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts