Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking over the care of a friends English bulldog permanently, and my friend is telling me something that I think he may be just being over protective. I know they are heat sensitive animals but what kind of cold temps can they handle? He is about a year old and I am looking for any other tips and pointers for English bulldog care that I can get.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Not over protective...

Your friend is right. English bulldogs are fairly intolerant of any temp other than *mild* Their short muzzles, heavy flews, and labored breathing all add to a dog that cannot regulate his temp as well as other dogs. In cold weather, their muzzles just aren't long enough to warm the air before getting into the lungs, which can lead to respiratory problems. Add excitement, stress, over exertion while playing.. and you have a dog that has trouble catching his breath, and can easily overheat.

As far as other health concerns to look out for, the primary issues that most bulldogs have is nose rope/wrinkle irritation, and tail pocket problems. Just get some unscented baby wipes and some A&D diaper rash ointment. Wipe his face, under his nose rope, and in his tail pocket daily to prevent infection in these areas. Moisture, oil, dead skin and dirt build up there, and can cause a problem. If it does get a little red and itchy for him, use the diaper rash ointment to help heal and block out moisture. Not every bully has such deep facial wrinkles that they will have problems, as well as the tail pocket. Each little cute corkscrew tail is different, and it depends on how close it lays to the body. I have 2 bullies, one doesn't have a tail pocket, and one does. His tail lays so close to his body, that I can't get a finger between his tail and butt.

If allergies flare up, get him on a grain free diet to eliminate any food related skin problems... if he still has allergies a few months after getting him on a grain free diet, you can better determine it's cause. (pollen, a protien source... some dogs are allergic to chicken and chicken fat....grass.. even a wool rug or sweater)

Keep him flea free, flea bite dermatitis is common in bullies... I use Sentinel so there is nothing topical on the skin to cause irritation, and it controls heartworms, hookworms and fleas.

Hope it helps =)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another ?

I have heard it is ok to let them pull weight like other bulldogs but not to let them over excert.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have never heard that... there is a reason that they are classified as NON SPORTING in AKC. They just aren't working dogs. It doesn't take much to overwork an EB. 10 min of NORMAL play will whup my 6 month old girl. I think it is just asking for trouble.

Yes, they COULD, any dog COULD, but they really shouldn't. The dog's used in pulling weights are very athletic dogs of their breeds, and an EB is far from athletic.

There is an EB male that lives down the street from me, I see the owner take him to the end of the street and back, and by the time he's done, his dog looks like hes gonna fall over.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not trying to push the limits but what are mostly the highs and lows in the temp that he should be able to handle

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Temps over 80 degrees can pose a threat to an Enlish Bulldog. You being in GA, you have high humidity, so that has to be taken into account as well.

Cold.. Dunno.. Im in Houston and it just doesnt get cold here. I'd say less than 45 degrees outside the dog needs to be supervised. Warmer than that, I'd GUESS the dog could be out a while, providing the dog can have a warm dry place to retire to if he gets too cold. Certainly not without you home and checking on him every 15 min or so, and never, never leave him outside while you run errands or go to work.

English bulldogs aren't yard dogs, regardless of the weather or temperature.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: another ?

Towmater said:
I have heard it is ok to let them pull weight like other bulldogs but not to let them over excert.

nope, you heard wrong..their hips and knees couldn't take it

over 70..outside just to go to the bathroom
lows... hummm. i can't covert... but anything lower than -15c. it's strickly in and out..
warmer than that they can stay out for 10 minutes or so..depending on the wind chill

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you mean to really put that - on the 15 and because i am in the united states i don't do C we do F but from what i know that is at least below freezing if you meant to put the - on the 15. let me know

·
Registered
182 Posts
Towmater said:
did you mean to really put that - on the 15 and because i am in the united states i don't do C we do F but from what i know that is at least below freezing if you meant to put the - on the 15. let me know
yes i did mean to put it in.
im in Canada and we are in Celcius..and I don't covert worth a darn.
I live where it will be -27c. tonight..it gets as cols as -45c. here in winter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found a converter online and that makes it 5f here and that is cold my friend i would not even leave some of my other dogs in that cold and plus that cold is very rare in the part of the US i live in maybe once ina blue moon would that happen. and 70F seems kind low for the high i mean in the winter i have been in house that are at around 72F that is 22C. let me know because -15C seeme like pertty harsh weather. but this is my first sensative animal like this

·
Registered
182 Posts
Towmater said:
found a converter online and that makes it 5f here and that is cold my friend i would not even leave some of my other dogs in that cold and plus that cold is very rare in the part of the US i live in maybe once ina blue moon would that happen. and 70F seems kind low for the high i mean in the winter i have been in house that are at around 72F that is 22C. let me know because -15C seeme like pertty harsh weather. but this is my first sensative animal like this
70F, with humidity, is too hot for a bulldog to be walked or exert it's self for anytime.
It was -30c. here last night..with windchill...-42c. and winter is just starting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have not been able to find the life span on the internet the closest i have found was a short life span, can someone get me some numbers

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
being overprotective is great and all, but you do not need to heed all warnings....

it all depends on your dog. my girl is over a year old now and will run circles around you all day long.... she literally wears us out. we have to force her to go to bed at night by taking away all her toys.....

if we take her for a walk, 2 miles isn't enough to wear her down.... so far, we've been really lucky....she doesn't seem to have any breathing problems and i have left her outside during work hours and the temp has gotten near 100. she never seems to have a problem....

and i'm sure that will pi$$ a bunch of ppl off..... but i do right by my girl, so before you start in on how i raise her, please know, she's not in any harm.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
snarky said:
being overprotective is great and all, but you do not need to heed all warnings....

it all depends on your dog. my girl is over a year old now and will run circles around you all day long.... she literally wears us out. we have to force her to go to bed at night by taking away all her toys.....

if we take her for a walk, 2 miles isn't enough to wear her down.... so far, we've been really lucky....she doesn't seem to have any breathing problems and i have left her outside during work hours and the temp has gotten near 100. she never seems to have a problem....

and i'm sure that will pi$$ a bunch of ppl off..... but i do right by my girl, so before you start in on how i raise her, please know, she's not in any harm.....
Glad that works out for you..best of luck..

my bulldogs ..right now.. range from 7-11 years old.
they ..in their younger years did, conformation, obedience and agility..so are quite athletic.
Having almost lost one of my most athletic dogs at a trial..from heat stroke..in 70F weather i do not think i am over protective... i just have found in 30 years of living with them, that sometimes it's better to error on the side of caution.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i do agree....always be cautious.... when the temps have reached near 90 i flip out, but she has more than sufficient shade and plenty of sprinklers to run in..... we also turn the patio mister on during the hot hot days....

i would rather her be inside, but it's just not allowed when we are not home.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Every dog is going to be different, of course. These are generalities for the breed as a whole, well... because the VAST majority of the english bulldogs can't handle the heat/humidity, have poor hips and elbows, have breathing issues of some kind, and generally tire out in a short period of time.

Average lifespan is 8 years, but the average is lowered by the many dogs that die early from things such as heat stroke, over exertion, whelping issues, ect, ect. The bloodline that I got my 2 from the average is about 11 years, with the oldest being 15 years.

Until you know the dog's health without question, then you need to watch him in the heat and when he plays. Even then, I wouldn't leave the dog out in even moderate heat, or extreme cold.

He's a life, why gamble on it? The odds are definately stacked against him healthwise.

JMVHO :wink:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I pretty much think if it's too cold outside for me to stay outside and play with Lincoln its too cold for him to be there playing himself.. in and out for sure.

Last night it was about -3 c (also in Canada) and we played in the snow for a while, he thought it was a buffet!!! loves the snow! Last night he didnt even want to come back in the house. But when it is cold and windy, he looks uncomfortable... and he can come back in as soon as he wants.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts