Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious as to what kind of food all of the EB dog owners feed their dogs/pups on this board. We aren't getting one yet, but are considering it in the future..

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
With all the allergies EB's tend to get, I stick with a grain free diet. My 2 are currently on DPV Duck and Potato, but Bella has soft stools, and will be changing over soon-ish. I can't find a puppy food I like... and the ultra-uber food says its not recommended for puppies, because of the high protien.

I'm still working on it, though.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Mason has been on DVP duck and potatoe but were making the switch to Canidae Lamb and rice formula because his stoools are soft on DVP... weve tried Royal Canine and Authority Harvest baked already...

Mason loves the DVP, no problems with it other then it makes his poo soft..

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
RC bulldog for several months, and now DVP duck and potato...

they like both.....i only switched to give them a change.... must be boring eating the same food all the time. :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nutro Lamb & Rice right now - no tear stains, great skin/coat, firm stools.

Have tried RC, though she didn't love it. Solid Gold Holistic Blendz was good, too. Canidae made her into a soft serve machine, so that's when we went back on Nutro as it's the one that seems to be her fave and also takes care of her itchy skin probs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically it just all depends on the different good quality foods, and what doesn't make your own dog have soft poop?

We have found a breeder that has puppies that will be ready to go on December 3rd and while we weren't actually looking to get one at this time, I have really fallen in love with one particular puppy. She feeds her puppies Nutro Max and Bil Jac ( :silent: ), which I have heard Bil Jac isn't that great of a food.. She said she gives out a sample carton of the Bil Jac puppy food and coupons from both Nutro Max and Bil Jac.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had Lola on Bil-Jac for a very short amount of time. It's rated terribly, though the rep at PetSmart will tell you with enthusiasm that it s a "great food!" and proceed with their little demo. Anyway, she got an incredibly bad case of itchy skin, complete with hair clumps falling out and patches of skin turning pink/red. After researching foods and narrowing down which ones are rated highly, I put her on Nutro and within a very, very short amount of time she stopped scratching herself silly and the hair grew back (well, with some help from NuStock cream). I then tried the Royal Canin and she disliked it (wasn't digging into her meals as heartily). I tried Canidae and while she loved it, I don't know if the protein level was too high for her or what, but she was a soft serve machine for days and days. Then I put her on Solid Gold, which worked really well for her, but again, she just wasn't very enthusiastic at mealtimes. Hence going back to Nutro Lamb & Rice.

My bottom line was that I had to kind of experiment with different brands until I found the one that she not only enjoyed eating, but cleared her itchy skin problems. There are a lot of great dog foods out there and a lot of differing opinions on them. I'm by no means an expert, so I'm just sticking to the brand that has worked for us.

Good luck. I have puppy fever, too, and have been searching for another English Bulldog to add to our family. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've wanted a EB for as long as I can remember, and we are finally in a position where we can get one.. I just don't know if it is a wise decision with 2 pit bulls and a chihuahua already in our family.. The pit bulls love each other and they both adore our chihuahua, but I do know that could change when the younger pit bull gets older.

Here is a picture of the little bully baby..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not even going to claim to know what is the best way to introduce a new dog into your existing pack, though there are folks on this board who own more than one dog ... I'm sure you would do well getting advice from them. I only have the one English Bulldog right now and know if we get a new puppy it'll be another English Bulldog, though probably male (not to breed - mine are pets only!) this time around just because I've heard so much about same-sex dogs not always getting along well, though I definitely am going to research this more prior to adding another puppy to make sure we have a good fit.

Is that pup from a local breeder?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Obelisk said:
Mason has been on DVP duck and potatoe but were making the switch to Canidae Lamb and rice formula because his stoools are soft on DVP... weve tried Royal Canine and Authority Harvest baked already...

Mason loves the DVP, no problems with it other then it makes his poo soft..
Try cutting the amount of DVP you are giving him. Kate gets soft poo if she gets too much. It is a lot of nutrition for their body so too much can throw it off

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
I remembered you saying thats what you did to Kate..I only give him one scoop as it is.. I dont want to under feed him.. It does flucuate though so maybe it is the portions... might have to start feeding him little amounts more times a day?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
depends on what one scoop is.... like what the size of the scooper is. I could be totally wrong and it could just be the food. If you could tell me the exact measurement of what one scoop is...

·
Registered
361 Posts
English bulldog owners

I feed mine Royal Canin. I have had them on Pro plan Lamb and Rice before and they like it. A lot of Bulldog breeders I know have theirs on Pro plan or Purina One, Lamb and Rice. They like both.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I fed Purina One Lamb& Rice for about 10 yrs. I switched to Nutro Max ..and I have to say there has been a real difference in their coats...no hot spots at all..thicker glossier coats.
I still feed about the same amount.
I feed it to both the bulldogs and mastiffs and they are all doing great on it

·
Registered
361 Posts
English Bulldog owners

I tried Nutro and they turnedtheir nose uo yti it so Ifeed Royal caninfor a month then switch back to Pro plan, It doesn' upset their tummys, and I hadn't noticed any hair loss adverse reactions. or other

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
It's really trial and error with food. For example - Sweet Lola, you said you feed the Nutro Lamb and Rice and that their coats are great. Annie has been on the Nutro Lamb and Rice since she left the breeder and her coat sucks. It gets coarse and it's dry and dull. Her stools are frim (most of the time) and the gas factor is almost none existant. I think Im going to look into switching her to something else tho. I just don't like her coat on the Nutro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts