Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that really bugs me is when i see a person asking for a "cheap" or "free" english bulldog. These dogs come with a high pricetag AND high vet bills, there is a reason they cost so much. I'm fearful that if someone won't shell out the money to buy the dog in the first place, what are then chances they will be willing to shell out all that money for vet bills if (and when) there are complications. The pricetag hopefully makes people more aware of what they are getting themselves into, cost-wise and they will educate themselves before purchasing a puppy.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
On the flip side of this,
How many bulldogs end up being PTS or sent to the pound because of the vet bills? At least there are people willing to take them in. I see where you're coming from, but just because they aren't willing to pay the 800-1000 for the dog, doesn't make them a horrible pet owner. I understand where you are coming from, but there is more than one side. :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
What happens when you can afford to buy the EB, but not take care of them! Poor thing...
i would never take on the responsibility of having a dog if i could not afford the entire package, ~in sickness and in health ~

also, i feel like this thread was directed at me cuz i'm not completely familiar with ALL the health issues of the EB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, not at all.. my point was that there are lots of people, who don't research or understand the health issues of ebs but get them because "the one they saw in the movies was sooo cute".. i was just saying if they came free, or cheap, more uneducated people would probably have them.. the price tag hopefully makes people look more indepth into the breed.. don't get me wrong at all, i LOVE ebs, i would definately own one in a heartbeat if i was financially prepared for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand that point exactly.

In a former married life of mine :roll: we had dobermanns and we bred a few times with a pair of exceptional working dogs. When our prices were 800-1200 we had so many people griping, and they went , I'm assuming, and found themselves a dobe from a BYB for a much lower price. My justification was that not only is vet care, ear cropping, proper food, etc. a consideration, but if someone cannot pay that kind of price for a pup perhaps resue or adoption was a better option. A well bred dog is not cheap to produce, nor to care for . Crates, vet bills, training, it's an investment across the board.
On the flip side there are millions of great dogs that need homes and cost little or nothing to aquire so that monies can be spent on day to day care instead. The dobes we had were expected to be trained to work, which is costly in itself. A good agitator alone is easily 30 or 40 a session, multiply that by number of dogs and numbers of sessions, well, it can add up to a car payment pretty quickly.

I think it depends on what the future doggie owner is looking for.

When I got divorced and had to leave my beloved four leggeds behind I knew I wanted dogs again so I contacted a breeder of Crested, my fave of the little dog breeds, and waited until she had a rescue, and then a retired show bitch that needed homes. When I was ready for another (like potato chips these dogs), I was able to purchase exactly what I wanted in a pup, pet quality , and knew what I would have to pay.

My English Bull puppy is the dog I have wanted for a long long time but I felt I ahd to wait until I not only had a home with appropriate flooring for potential potty training struggles, but enough money aside for the pup and all the first years vet bills, just the basics and a little emergency stash just in case we have health issues that arrise, and money for training and everything else it entails.
I saved for the dog like I saved for my house, with a clear perspective of what expenses may arrise.

Rescue is a perfect alternative I think, or finding a breeder that has pups that will be sold on limited registration for a lower cost.

I just think that any investment is worth taking great care and consideration before commiting to. Lot's of dogs are put down because vet bills were not expected and not an option.

That's just my two cents and I hate to sound like I'm ranting becasue I'm new here and don;t want to get off on the wrong foot at all. I have spend the past two weeks justifying to my partner why Iw ould spend on a dog what could have been a new flat screen TV for him...lol...But I have my bully now, and he'll be cared for like my son is cared for, with exoense not being the primary concern becasue he is family and will HAVE to have his needs met regardless.

OK, I'll be quiet now

K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts