Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am moving into a new place and am thinking of a english or british bulldog i have seen it used both those ways dont know if there is a difference or not but have research the english and found that i think its the dog for me. i do alot of studying and work on the computer and i would love a dog that likes to sleep and cuddle on the couch and doesn't need to much excerices. by what i have read here and else were this dog is a stubern pain in the ass that snores but is friendly to kids and people which is great because i have little girl cousins that would love to play with it. i mean its basically the perfect sounding dog for me.

please correct me if i am wrong so far gathering information is time comsuming. but they require care with cleaning the folds in there skins and there eyes.

Do they play well with other dogs if you introduce them to other dogs when they are younger. i have heard different things that they do not get along with the same sex but all ways refered to as the bull breed and wondering if that is true for the english.
i mean my parents have a cockerspanel male and i eat dinner and do stuff over there and would like to take my english over there and would like them to get along.

also prices i have seen a huge range of prices. from 1000-4000 dollars. i would like a female becuase people tell me they bond better to males.
i have heard alot about how bad these back yard breeders are does anyone have a good place to go to in the newengland area. what should i really expect to pay.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know very much about the EB, but just so you know they tend to have a lot of health problems. I would be very careful on finding the right breeder. Maybe look into a Victorian Bulldog. I have heard they have less health problems.

You are on the right track though, keep asking questions! :D

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
English Bullies are VERY expensive to own! Most (not all but MOST) have some health issue or another at some point in thier lives. And they are VERY expensive to vet as #1 - not all vets are EB experianced and #2 - EB's don't do well under anesthisia which means a simple spay surgery will probably cost alot more on an EB then say a Lab or whatever.

A great number of EB's develope entropion and cherry eye. Both of these issues MUST be fixed surgically. To not means the dog lives in pain/discomfort and eventually goes blind.

Regardless of how well you clean your EB's wrinkles, it is possible they will still get infected.

Alot of bullies have allergies. Allergies mean a special diet (if it's a food allergie), and/or meds if it is environmental.

Some bullies also have issues with their tails. If the tail is in a tight twist, you will have to clean that several times a day. Some EB's with a tight tail twist have to have the tails amputated (removed) to aleviate any troubles they have with it.

It is also pretty common to find EB's who suffer from spina bifida. Most quality/reputable breeders will cull these pups shortly after birth - but some BYBers will sell them anyways. Spina Bifida causes the bully to be incontinent of both bladder AND bowels. Not fun, but it IS managable just takes alot of paitence and yes it DOES get expensive because you need to buy diapers for the dog as well as enzymatic cleaners to clean up messes. Spina Bifida is NOT fixable.

EB's do not tolorate extream heat and cold very well. They need to be kept cool in the winter, and warm but not too warm in the winter. Their compressed muzzles and restriced breathing makes it very difficult for them to cool themselves down.

I would expet to pay $1500-$2500 for a pup from a reputable breeder. This cost does NOT include shipping, shots (although most pups will come with at least one set of shots), health records, and any supplies the pup will need (food, crate, toys, collar/tag, bedding, cleaning supplies, and a visit to the vet to ensure a healthy pup). Be sure to ask about any health testing the breeder will have done on the parents, the results of the tests preformed, health garuntee for the pup, any titles the parents have earned, etc, etc. If the breeder does not have, or refuses to supply you with any of the mentioned things (or anything for that matter) RUN! You don't want a puppy from them.

Oh, and just because the breeder says the pups are AKC CKC or UKC registered (or registered of any sort) doesn't really count for anything. Almost any breeder - reputable or not - can register their dogs with the above mentioned registries.

EB's really arnt the healthiest of the bully breeds. Although it does happen - but is extreamly rare - some EB's (from extreamly good lines and top notch vet care) can live up to 10 years. The average life span is about 7 years.

Yes, most if not all bullies are stubborn and will push your buttons just to see what they can get away with. As soon as they get away with something just once - they will do it all the time and expect it to be ok.

Most bullies are wonderful with childern - especially if the child is well behaved and respectful of the dog. Regardless of how the dogs gets along with a child though, NEVER, EVER, EVER leave a bully (or any breed for that matter) alone with a child unsupervised. Accidents DO happen.

Most - although not all bullies (of any type) will have some sort of dog agression once they hit maturity (about 2 years old). There are many many accounts of 2 dogs (both bullies or one bully and another breed) who grow up together and are just fine until one or both reach maturity. It only takes one fight - and the bully will never be able to be trusted around the dog s/he fought with again. If that is the case - then you will have to crate and rotate the dogs or break someones (dogs) heart and rehome one. Then their is the other side where you will have 2 bullies (or whatever) who never have an issue with eachother. It's kinda like a catch 22. You never know what you'll get - you just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I've blabbered on long wnough for now. If you have any more questions - please ask!

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I'd try a basset hound if your looking for a truely lazy dog!
Bulldogs arent necessaraly lazy...the EBs on this board are
active and not at all the typical couch potato.

I was looking into getting a basset hound and from what i gathered
they take the phrase "couch potato" to the next level :lol:
and they dont need alot of exercise and are kid friendly.
Plus they have all the wrinkles like an EB.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
I'd try a basset hound if your looking for a truely lazy dog!
Bulldogs arent necessaraly lazy...the EBs on this board are
active and not at all the typical couch potato.

I was looking into getting a basset hound and from what i gathered
they take the phrase "couch potato" to the next level :lol:
and they dont need alot of exercise and are kid friendly.
Plus they have all the wrinkles like an EB.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry to burst your bubble - but bassets are not all that lazy! The 5 we've fostered have been insane, flying all over the yard, michievious buggers who know how to counter surf the minute they are born :lol:

Here's a pic of an aquaintences basset.

Floyd lives with 3 Newfies - they drop long before he does! It's a common misconception that Bassets are lazy.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble - but bassets are not all that lazy!
Well, that just goes to show ya...there are always dogs that go
against the grain.
All dogs are different...even within the same breed!
Just cause people say..."bulldogs are lazy" or "this kind of dog is lazy",
doesnt mean the dog YOU get will be.
Everything i hear about sheepdogs is that they will "herd" people, not mine...she had NO herding instint.

Just make sure you see the pup's parents and ask about temperment.

Ok, ok...now i am pretty sure greyhounds ARE couch potatoes??

·
Registered
320 Posts
LOL.....my Eb is FAR from being lazy too!!!! He actually pushes my daughters stroller up to the front door now and then sits under the counter where his leash is and barks/whines so that he can go for a walk. At first we were trying to take it "easy" on him because of how much we heard about not over doing it with an EB, but he was getting depressed, and weird.....and so we started doing more exercise and it did the trick!!! He is ALWAYS up for going for a walk, and running around in the back yard (we can't keep up with HIM). He is pretty mellow in the house most of the time, BUT if he doesn't get out and get his exercise he will start trying to wrestle everyone down. He goes for two 30+minute walks everyday, and he's only 3 months old. Max seriously has more energy than any dog I have ever owned!!! He's also the smartest pupp I've ever owned!!! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
YOUR BULLY BARKED!!!?? ours still hasn't barked she is 7 months old and we have had her for about 2 weeks and she has not barked yet what kind of bark do the make???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bark!

I don't know about the others, but Vito barks in so many tones I think he has more vocal chords then any other dog. His "manly" bark is very nice... sounds like a "big dog"... scares his mama! He also has some nice whines, growls, snorts, etc... that will about make you fall over. Anyway, I posted in the "new" thread about my experiences with the English Bulldog... I think that making sure his/her parents are healthy is imperative when picking one out. He's a great dog!

PS... Zeitler... are you a Marine?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Max barks whenever he wants something.....he actually doesn't ever bark at other people, or at random things though. But he looks right up at us and starts barking when he wants to play, or wants to go for a walk, or if we stop walking and he wants to walk some more, or wants us to pick him up, or if he needs to go potty, or wants a toy up on the shelf.

He is starting to get a pretty deep bark (and he's only just over 3 months)....it's about as deep as a 6-7 month old rottweiler's bark, and quite loud....definetly NOT a yappy bark though. Now, I've never heard him just whine EVER, and I think that he substitutes barking for whining. He kind of throws a bit of a whine into his bark, but doesn't ever actually whine/cry. So he mostly uses his bark to communicate what he wants, it's not at all an aggressive bark though.....it's just to get our attention to what he wants/needs instead of whining. He doesn't go around barking all day, but probablly barks about 4-5 times a day.

Before I had him and I did my research it said that they pretty much never bark, but not this one. I actually belong to a bulldog meet up group as well, and there are lots from there that are MUCH bigger barkers than Max is, and most bark to get attention too (not like they all don't get enough, but you know the way EBs are, LOL).

·
Registered
886 Posts
my dog barks when he is confused, and has the dumbest look on his face (like when he hears people walking up the steps, or knock on the door).

·
Registered
3 Posts
My English Bulldog loves to run, and demands constant attention. He HAS to be petted constantly, also he does get his spurts of energy here and there, where he runs across the house @ top speeds when he gets excited or when company comes. Generally, a small walk of about 3-4 blocks is enough to make him pass out and sleep for a couple hours.

Aside from that, he was simply a joy to get, he had no problems getting housebroken ( he had 0 accidents in the house)

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
where he runs across the house @ top speeds when he gets excited
That is called "the ZOOMIES" :lol:
or i call Orson's the "Butt Scoot Run" :lol:

loves to run, and demands constant attention. He HAS to be petted constantly
Same here! He constantly wants attention, i have never met a dog that
is more needy! I guess i was just used to my sheepie who was perfectly happy if she was just in the same room as me, but not Orson...he has
to be in same room AND for you to pet/play with him. :?
But, that is why I love him...he's funny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank for all your replys lol we had a basset before and we actually had to give it to a friend who owned a farm we have four acres but he would run off every time a little kid road there bike past the house he would want to follow and we would get a call from 4 streets down. he actually every time we let him out went 3 houses down were there are two little kids that are home schooled and played outside alot i mean he just liked to run and we didn;t have the room. i hated when my parents did it but hes better now over 100 acres and plenty of room to run.

but thanks for all your replys and i have decided right now would not be the time for an english with there high purchase price is a turn off but i could do it, its the vet not really the price of the vet bills but the fact that my baby would be suffering in a way that something i loved was sick alot and in pain. i cant really explain it but im sure you dog owners get what i am saying. i still would love one but currently looking into the old english type sorry i know i messed up the name or something with less health problems.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Good for you! Most people dont consider the cost of having a dog...vet
bills, emergencies, sickness...and esp. a bulldog. They could
cost alot more at the vet's than most dogs!
There will always be a dog out there, just get one when you feel you are ready.

·
Registered
361 Posts
English Bulldog Question

Hi, I do have EB's, and a boxer and a Valley. All but 1 of my bulldogs get along with the others. We are working with her and so far have actually ,managed them to walk together, be in the same room with us, so they can be trained. My boxer and 4 EB's stay together along with the Valley. My 1 bulldog that only doesn't get along with the Valley (she's 7 mos), the EB is 5 yrs old. She and the boxer has had their spats but for the past month they are fine together. I beleive if you get a puppy under 1 yr. old it would do fine with the cocker spaniel. As far as health, out of 6 EB's I've had one with problems, all the rest are fine. She got spayed! So do research the breeder or ask for references from people who have bought from them before. A GOOD breeder will give you names of previous owners. Any questions feel free to ask. You can look at mine on http:stellabulldogges.tripod.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a EB and a pitbull and they get along just fine... we've had hem together for 3 months but that is kind of a short time. But EBs are great dogs..they do require a good amount of attention when it comes to maintaing them ie. cleaning their folds etc... My EB is a sloppy drinker. Whenever he drinks water he spills all over the place. When I got my bulldog I thought he was going to be lazy but he turned out to be the opposite. He seems to have more energy than the pittbull at times. so theres my feedback let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tinkerbell,

I know this is an older post, but thanks for posting it. It's exactly the kind of information I came here looking for. I want to learn more about the English Bulldog, both good and bad, before I purchase one to make sure it's right for my family, so I'm here to do some research. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts