Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know that EB's dont need alot of exersize but how much is to much?? We will not be getting our girl for 8 weeks since she was just born on the 10th but i really want all the info i get. We walk a mile total between my house and my sons school is that going to be to much? or will i need to put her in the stroller ????

·
Registered
60 Posts
It will be some time before your EB is up to walking a mile and back - if ever. Hopefully your EB will not be affected by the heat/cold sensitivity, lack of stamina due to multiple respiratory problems and hip issues - all fairly common to the modern AKC EB. Once your puppy is ready to be out of the house you can start slowly and see how much he can tolerate.

Good luck with your new puppy!
:)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
my EB is a total freak of nature, she can walk forever.... she's only 7mo right now, but we've walked her since about 3 months ago and haven't had any problems.... heck, when we get home, she's still playing!!!

we usually walk a mile, and it's not flat either! now our AB, she'll just stop and lay down on the street if she gets tired. no warning just plop! :lol:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i don't walk her in high heat, and no i don't bring water.... if we go get something to eat at the cafe then we get water there, but usually no.....

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i didn't start taking baylee anywhere until the vet ok'd it, which was around 4 months of age. you'll be able to judge the distance when you get her out there. each dog is different, just b/c baylee can handle it doesn't mean your EB can..... you'll know.

also, the stroller will be fine, i remember when i would walk my rotti pup, i'd end up carrying her back.... :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
EB's

I don't think that ebs have as many limitations as people think i know a lady who has them in geargia and they run the fences with her abs all day long she even has a male that will hit a sleeve(protection, bitework). Also the #1 dog in the 40lb class for weight pulling ranked by dogg power is a EB his personal best is a pull of 2100lbs. not bad for a 38lb dog over 55x his body weight. not saying that every eb will do all these things but they do have alot more in them than meets the eye. (the old never judge a book...lol) and if your truly worried about over heating the little guy there is always this for exercise.......

lol....

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
DK

that pic is too freaking adorable!!!

i agree entirely with your statement, although my girl is only 7 months, she show no signs of being "limited or insufficient". yesterday while playing in the yard, she jumped for a toy so high i thought, where are the springs lol???

she easily topped 4ft, and kept coming for more!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ebs

no that is not my eb just a pic from someone i know but i love the pic it is too funny.. i will try to get one of that dog pulling it is truely incredible. good luck with your pup i wish you all the best.

thanks
Evan

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are talking about the Kong toys then YES - they are excellent. They are the only toy that Sarge hasn't been able to shred. There is a pink/white one for teething pups, red and black. Black is the 'toughest' and most likely you will end up working up to the black fairly soon from what I can tell. Sarge is 12 weeks and works the red one very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree

My four y/o EB, Pudge will go and go. We walk or jog almost every day, 1-2 miles and he never poops out on me. It all depends on the dog, Pudge seems to prove all the text book examples of lazyness and health problems wrong.

I do take a bottle of water along for me, and Pudge has learned to drink from the bottle, so he gets little drinks along the way when I do.

And the spring thing, yup, they can jump. I think a lot of owners are way too restictive on their bulldogs because of what they have read in books. I understand that you have to be more careful with them, but I believe in letting the dog set most of his own physical limits, unless I can see that something will obvously not be safe for him.

jump shot, well, I took the pic too early, but he loves to jump on command...

·
Registered
10 Posts
ScottB, you are a little rude to point out all the extreme negatives of the EB breed. I haven't read anything on this website about the AB being a vicious, aggressive, over glorified MUTT.

When I got Stuart he was very over wieght from the crap the breeder fed him. He could only walk the 2 blocks to the park and I would have to carry him home. Eventually we built up his stamina and he got into better shape. Now, he does 4 laps around the park and still has energy to run and play in the yard for an hour.

Make sure you get your puppy vaccinated before you start walking him. The virus' his vaccines will protect him from are invisible so just because it looks safe and clean, but it doesn't mean a sick dog hasn't recently been around. After your puppy has all his shots, let it decide how far he wants to walk.

I love DK's picture of the swimming dog! Stuart loves water, but he sinks like a rock. I even bought him a life jacket and he still sunk. A plastic little kiddie pool is perfect for a bulldog.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts