Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you own English Mastiffs? I'm thinking about getting an English bulldog, and I'm here doing research.
I wonder how well these two breeds would get along? One breeder told me she wouldn't sell me a bulldog, because I have mastiffs. I don't really get that. I would think that they'd get along very well as they've been together
throughout history and have similar personalities and traits. Both breeds are also intolerant of heat, are prone to be lazy, stubborn, and they drool and snore, have an intolerance to anesthia, and have potentially big medical bills. LOL!

My baby girl, Rose, 4-years old and 240 pounds, was born crippled, and both legs have had major surgery. We've spent thousands on her medical bills, but they tell me she will nevertheless have elbow dyplasia. She has been otherwise healthy though and has done so much better than the doctors ever expected. She rarely limps at all.

We also have Belle, 3 years old and 200 pounds. Thankfully, she has had no major problems so far.

Our dogs are like children to us. So I want to make sure this is the right decision before I bring a puppy home.

I love the English Bulldog's wrinkles. The wrinkles are one of the things that endears the English Mastiff to me...oh, and the expressive face.

Thanks,

Bobbi

·
Registered
317 Posts
It might be the size difference that is the biggest concern. EB's go between 30 and 50 pounds on average I think, so you are looking at a huge difference in size. An EB would probably play pretty rough with the bigger dogs and maybe get hurt? I can't imagine temperment being an issue, or at least that a breeder would deny selling you a dog because of it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I own both.. 2mastiffs, 4 bulldogs.
They are very much alike personality wise.
the only problem we have had is a size/age problem. 5 of these dogs are over 7..and the mastiff pup is 190 lbs. and 18 months. he leaps, trips, spins and twirls and knocks into the older dogs..which makes them all grumble.
if the bull was the younger dog you would not have that problem. we recently placed a 35 lb. female bull with a family that has a 210 lb. male mastiff...she is now in charge and things are going great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts