Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I have an 18 month old OEB. He is no genious but does quite well at obedience, never had real behavioural problems.

Lately however he starts whining from the moment he wakes up until he sleeps... its relentless all day long. I ruled out health issues with the vet.
I cannot say there were no changes since my father died recently and I have been dating a new girl and spending more tile with him at her place. Whining started tehre but now he got used to her place as well and got the whining home. Everyone keeps telling me is because of my father but they were not always together honestly I dont think he even know what happened.

I dont cave in just in case its excessive attentionseeking. he whines even after long play sessions so I dont think its attention seeking.

Any ideas things I might not be thinking about? I tried rewarding when he is quiet, sometiles I loose patience and shout at him to shut up but obvously he has n clue why I am angry and he keeps going on and on and n.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
I dont think he even know what happened.
That may be the issue and so he is waiting for your father to return. Plus dogs hate changes (new girlfriend & her place).

When my husband goes out the door to go to the store, my dog, Clara will whine until he gets back. She has also been known to do this when we go on a trip and she stays at home. So it could be your father that he is missing and he is waiting for him to come back home. Does he sit in any particular place when he is doing this. Clara will sit by the door. It is very difficult to get them to stop. With Clara, we make her sit somewhere else and that helps to break up the whining/waiting.

Right now, attention is probably just what he needs to make him feel safe and feel better. This way he can trade his longing for your father to being happy to be with you. And please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i agree i think it has to do with the father. if oeb are like eb then they dont like change at all and perhaps taking him to her place is not helping matters. is a distraction but still have to come home to no father. maybe she could come to your place some to help with the transition so to say. might be better till things calm down. im thinking this is a change in the household issue and not perhaps that he was all that close with your dad. he does know someone is missing. perhaps just short trips out and then back home for now. have gf come to your house so he knows she belongs there. i would maybe give a little extra love now and maybe some distractions in the house such as playing or maybe sitting in another room. good luck and sorry about your father i lost mine in 2014.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He copes ok with change in general, like changing house or different sleeping arrangements, even with feeding time, i never feed him on a clock. Wll give him more time and will be more patient, its somewhat of a bigger deal here. Cant expect too much too quickly thats the first rule in training but sometimes I forget.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Cant expect too much too quickly thats the first rule in training but sometimes I forget.
You are not alone. Patience can be hard at times. Like right now, as I am typing
and my dog, Kodi, is wrapping his leash around my feet because he wants to go to
another part of the house. ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
He copes ok with change in general, like changing house or different sleeping arrangements, even with feeding time, i never feed him on a clock. Wll give him more time and will be more patient, its somewhat of a bigger deal here. Cant expect too much too quickly thats the first rule in training but sometimes I forget.
well keep us updated on how things are going. im thinking dogs process loss different than we do. some get over it quick some take a long time

·
Registered
11 Posts
It takes patience, Sophie has been Mama's girl from day one...nine years ago. But there are times like I'm eating or I've decided to go in the bathroom by myself. Miss Whiney Puss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts