Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need some advice;

My 5 m old female pup (pit/rott) “plays” with an 8 year old hovawart (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hovawart.htm). When they meet, the hovawart excessively dominates my little girl, its not just once or twice on occasion, he constantly keeps pounding her, even if she steps a side he continues. These “attacks” are just a little more violent but more intense compared to what I experienced interacting with other dogs. I’ve never experienced this kind of behavior with male dogs though. 9/10 males gives her all the leeway she wants and the rest just ignores her. The hovawart is male dog aggressive but gets along with most females and I know he gets intimated by kids his own height, other than that he’s good dog I guess. My little girl is submissive with mature females, but snaps back if they get to aggressive with her (with the hovawart too). They met a couple of times and it’s the same thing every time (even when she was 9 weeks) and, I don’t know if it’s my imagination or due to her exhaustion, but afterwards she seems different in her behavior.

I m a little worried that the excess behavior from the hovawart could trig some kind of dog aggression (male, color, size etc) in her or will she kick the crap out of him when she gets older. I don’t know if should let her get a little bit older before they “play” again or just keep it up. The hovawart is owned by someone close to my family, so there is a small rudeness factor involved, which seems like a small price to pay if my little girl is better of as an adult dog.
Any advice?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would just not let them play. The older dog might not "bring out aggression" but he definitly will teach her "the okay way to be around other dogs" which is definitly not okay! but he also might bring out an aggression if, as she grows older, learns to not tolerate this behavior. The owner of this other dog should realize this behaviour is not acceptable either (not acceptable all the time after the intial bout of dominance to establish their place). So maybe for family functions, you guys can trade off who brings their dog so you can have a peace and calm get together

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
There is no need for them to play if he is mean to her.....She will be just as happy without him.....If he keeps going after she prob has no respect for his space & keeps challendging him...IMO

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I wouldn't let my dog play with any other dog, if i wasn't comfortable with it. It's your dog, you get to decide who she plays with. If this goes on for an extended period of time, it may have some negative consequences, that you wouldn't want.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If you are so worried about this why do you keep letting your dog play with other dogs?

Dogs do not need dog to dog interaction. They can live a totally fine and happy life without it. Honestly, why would you want your girl to be constantly dominated? I want a confident dog myself, not one that is constantly being knocked down. By putting your pup in this type of situation you could actually be be creating dog aggression because she is going to learn that other dogs means she will be dominanted so she may start lashing out when she is older as a means of defending herself.

Spend your spare time playing and bonding with your dog yourself. Teach your dog that you are the centre of its universe. You are what brings it all its fun and joy. What do you think would happen in a few months if your girl decided to fight back? Who do you think would be blamed in the eyes of society? Of course it wouldn't be the hovawart! It would be the pit/rottie because of their reputations! Why take such a chance? Sersiously, your dog does not need this sort of interaction. It is not only risky for the dogs invoilved but it can also be counter productive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts