Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think if a AB don't get enuff exercise he won't feel the need to eat ?
I was told to walk him about 20 mins a day as his only 5 months so i just walk him for about an hour every other day...thats out in the woods , park or summit as playing in the garden don't count

he don't eat lots of food...He eats small bits and it makes me wonder if his hungry...he gets a great selection of food but he don't care lol

Any help ?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You should probably be feeding him twice a day (morning and evening) in measured amounts of the same food. Dogs don't need daily variety like you and I.

Don't leave food out for him all the time. Put his bowl down, make sure he knows it is there, give him 5-10 minutes to eat and then take it away. Don't offer food to him again until the next scheduled feeding time. When he gets hungry enough, he will eat whatever you put in front of him. It might even take two or three days for him to figure it out, but he will. No dog has ever starved himself to death on purpose.

Basically, you need to teach him that he can either eat what you give him, when you give it to him, or he goes hungry. I promise, he will choose the former.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Thanks for the information. Our Atticus doesn't express a desire to eat, either. I've kind of noticed that he tends to eat when I'm around (so does my cat). I almost have to be petting them, as if reassuring them that it's ok. However, we leave it down all day, and let him eat at his own pace...therefore he's not eating.

Thank you!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It sounds as if free feeding is your problem. Here is a copy of a post I did about free feeding awhile back....:

There are a few reasons why free feeding can be harmful.

1) It can lead to finicky eating...after awhile, many free fed dogs turn thier nose up at thier food, and panicked owners start coming up with creative ways to make meals more enticing. This can lead to some major health issues.

2) If your dog is ill and needs meds, it can be more difficult to disperse those in a meal or even a treat.

3) It can overtime lead to obesity.

4) Dogs can stress out on trips and not eat if they are used to having food in front of them all the time...not eating can stress them out more. This is especially difficult for show dogs...they stress and don't eat at the show and don't show well.

5)It can lead to the bully "selective hearing.. if you aren't in control of thier food, they won't respect you.

6) Dogs in the wild do not get a meal every day..it's unnatural to thier digestive system. I fast my dogs one day a week. Free feeding keeps a constant supply of food in thier system..dogs can become lethargic and unresponsive.

7) If training, your dog will lack drive on a full belly. Witholding food and dividing meals into training treats is a great way to teach your dog respect and how to be responsive...a hungry dog makes a much better worker.

My dogs are fed once a day. If they are training, thier meals are fed as treats while training. They eat whenever I ask them to with no hesitation...I could put thier bowls down in the middle of a parade, and they would eat! They are healthy, lean, happy, responsive dogs, and it's so much easier to have them on a schedule...no stress to myself or the dogs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
WOW

Wow Carrie, that's some damn good advice and well outlined. That really helped me, I hope it helped the original poster. I also have a pup that doesn't seem to want to eat all of her food. Although I don't free feed, I do feed her twice a day. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts