Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 3 and half mnths old. His name is Calvin he is sooo hyper, jumpy, VERY vocal. He barks at everything. I can control him at home (some what), and I am trying to train him to be calm and listen to me. But in the car....forget it. I take my two other dogs in the car a lot. Car rides are a daily thing for my two other dogs. But Calvin, who we have only had for a little over a mnth, he is really bad in the car. He likes to put his head out the window and tries to jump out of the window. He jumps on my lap in the middle of driving. I cant even have my window down or he will try to jump on to me to get to the window.

Exiting the car is a whole other problem. When I open the door to leave my car, my other dogs do not exit the car ONLY when i tell them to. When I open my door I say to Calvin "NO, you stay! STAY!" but he jumps over me before I get out of the car! When he jumps over me its SO frusterating because I feel he is trying to dominate me and he scratches my legs....grrrrrr. :banghead: I feel like i have not made any progress with him over the past mnth...he is WORSE than he was.

Calvin never had a problem with drive thrus. Today I was talking in the speaker, everytime the person talked back to me Calvin was barking, barking and barking. He was trying to jump over me to get out the window to get to the speaker. When we drove up to the window I was trying to hand them money. Calvin was barking and squealing and trying to jump over me and get to the people in there. Meanwhile i was hold the skin on the back of his neck and he is so hard to restrain, very strong for his size. It was terrible and embarrassing:oops: ....my other 2 dogs never had this behaviour in the car. Calvin seems to be getting worse and worse.. I have been thinking about getting a doggy seat belt....but I am scared he may chew it because this dog cannot stand to be restrained...any advice?!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Seat belt harness, or kennel the dog. If he chews through the seatbelt restraint, get a wire basket muzzle.

If you don't restrain the dog, you both are just an accident waiting to happen. How would you feel if you were in an accident and injured someone because your dog hampered your driving? Or if he jumped out of the vehicle and ran into trafic and got hit by a car? Or bit someone trying to give you a burger and fries??

Restrain your dog, its better for you and him. You can not make any progress in training your dog to behave while in a vehicle you are driving.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Maybe take him on a long walk(for his age) then take him in the car. He's puppy and puppy's are not calm! My Legend was a nutcase. My mom used to watch him at my house while I went to work(on the days Legend didnt go to work with me) and when I came home she was wore out my other dog was wore out and my house was a mess!!! lol. Try wearing him out first before you go in the car. And at his age its very hard for them to learn to stay. It's going to take some time and alot of patience! :D

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CowBella said:
Seat belt harness, or kennel the dog. If he chews through the seatbelt restraint, get a wire basket muzzle.

If you don't restrain the dog, you both are just an accident waiting to happen. How would you feel if you were in an accident and injured someone because your dog hampered your driving? Or if he jumped out of the vehicle and ran into trafic and got hit by a car? Or bit someone trying to give you a burger and fries??

Restrain your dog, its better for you and him. You can not make any progress in training your dog to behave while in a vehicle you are driving.
I KNOW!!! This is what I am terrified of, getting in an accident, him jumping out of the car in the middle of traffic!!! Thanks, my next purchase is going to be a seat belt restraint and a muzzle!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
LegendsMami said:
Maybe take him on a long walk(for his age) then take him in the car.
Do this!!! this will get him used to the car while he is tired and calm.

·
Registered
932 Posts
just get a harness dear!

it worked on patch... i only used it a few times and he HATED it... now, i dont use it anymore and he stays in the back seat and chews on a chew toy.

you only need to use it a few times before they realise they better be good or they're gonna be in the harness all the time!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Harness, Sam will lie quietly in the back but Storm jumps around everywhere. I've used a harness on her and it's so much easier and less stressful.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Crate or harness...you can't have her jumping around, she's a danger to herself and to you...and possibly to others if you get involved in an accident...

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Seat belt, seat belt, seat belt!

Take treats with you in the car....he goes for your lap, tell him no. He backs off, give him a treat.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Also keeping him on a leash - which is seatbelted in the back helps alot! Tie knots in the leash to shorten it. This prevents him from being able to get into the front with you and it also prevents him from bolting out the door or window. Wont prevent him from chewing the leash - either get him a basket muzzle or a chain type leash. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Well - the first thing to remember is that you are working with an untrained puppy.
Calvin needs obedience training to know sit means sit, quiet means quiet and lay down
means lay down. Until Calvin is ovedience trained I would not take any chances.
If you take him in the car, he needs to be crated for his saftey and for yours and
for the sanity of the next "drive-thru checker". :wink: :D Good luck

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I have this same problem with one of the dogs I walk, except he's three years old! He's jumped on the windshield and climbed over the front window, he's almost climbed onto my mom's lap when driving, and he makes soo much noise in the car.

I would say, stop it right now before it get's worse when he gets bigger! A trainer may be a good idea, if you find him hard to handle. If you have an SUV, a dog crate is a great alternative. Sounds like there could be some anxiety/hyper activity with Calvin (as well as the dog I walk :roll: ).

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Another thing I forgot. Take him on a practice run in the car. Have someone sit in the back with the pup. When he starts jumping around have the person sit or lay him down. Praise him and maybe give him a treat. Go thru the drive thru. He starts barking have the person tell him quiet and make him settle down. It may take a couple of times before he gets the hang of it. Just be patient and consistent. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
how about putting him in a crate? This past Monday, I saw a pup running across Main sreet, apparently he jumped out of the car & the owner did not even notice. Luckily, a young man stopped, called Animal Control & stayed with the dog til the ACO arrived!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
His name is no longer Calvin. He was Calvin for less than 2 weeks, we have now found a better and MUCH MORE suitable name Ruckus....because he causes such a friggin Ruckus!

Anyway, instead of spending money on a crate, seatbelt harness and so on...I did what one person suggested I tied his leash to the headrest on the car seat. He has limited room to move. He is learning to STAY and only exit the car until I say so....but we still have to work on that more.

I think it was LegendsMiami who suggested to do "test drives"

I had someone sit in the back with him and made him stay....we gave him treats when he would stay, be calm and not bark.

After working on this I realized what REALLY made his behaviour bad in the car....my female pit Brooklyn.

He loves her too much to stay still, he always humps her and play fights with her in the back while I am driving.

So when he is on the leash his space is to limited to reach Brooklyn.

As for Ruckus jumping on me to get stick his head out the window....he still does this....so I intend to KEEP using the leash.

One day I hope I won't have to use the leash.....thanks for everyones suggestions! Its getting a bit better, just thought I'd let everyone know. :D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm glad things are working out!!! Just be very careful with the leash being attached to his collar(If thats how you leash him in the car) if you can get a regualr harness if thats the way you do it. Just so if you make a sudden stop it doesnt jerk his neck to hard! But I like his new name Ruckus!!! :D Keep up the good work! He'll be fine in no time and can ride w/ you alot more! :wink:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LegendsMami said:
I'm glad things are working out!!! Just be very careful with the leash being attached to his collar(If thats how you leash him in the car) if you can get a regualr harness if thats the way you do it. Just so if you make a sudden stop it doesnt jerk his neck to hard! But I like his new name Ruckus!!! :D Keep up the good work! He'll be fine in no time and can ride w/ you alot more! :wink:
Thank you LegendsMami!!!! You are always such a sweetheart.....always the first one to respond and give me advice to my posts! I like the name too! Thanks for all your advice :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts