Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
I did some back-reading and saw lots of interesting stuff about fear agression. I thought I would post our story to get some input. Sasha is about 1 year old, bully mix. We got her at 6 months, she was found chained up in a bad part of town known for it's dog fights. She weighed about 17 lbs. In just 2 months she put on about 20 lbs and grew "up" about 6 inches! (today she weighed 53 lbs!) When we took her to our former vet, she acted fine, very submissive, almost to the point of falling asleep.
Well, she had a problem with being housebroken in that she would pee on herself (and the couch) when she napped. Never in her crate, never in her bed.... just when she was napping. We mentioned it to our ver and he put her on phenylpropalamine (sp?). Well...things rolled along for about a month and on New Year's Day we came home from in-laws, fed dogs (and I gave her her meds) and I left the lid not comepltely screwed on (dumb dumb dumb - could've killed my own dog!). Next thing....I come around the corner and there is Sasha making a meal of the PPA pills. We called Humane Society poison control, they walked us through inducing vomting (with hydrogen peroxide) but the pills that came out were partially disolved. Next, her hair started standing on end and her skin turned bright red. So we rushed to Med Vet where she spent the next 72 hours - it was touch and go for awhile but she pulled through and everyone there loved her (after the $1500 vet bill I suppose they did!). But the discharging vet remarked that when he examined her she howled like crazy and they had to muzzle her.
Skip to more recent times, we took her to get spayed and our new vet (we left the old one after Med Vet questioned why he put a 6-month old pup on PPA for a behavior issue) had some of the same issues when examening her.
Skip to today and we took her in for boosters and it was awful - she was muzzled and growled and would've bitten my husband, the vet, me....everyone.
We start obediance class Thursday.
To most strangers she growls at them if they "stare" at her (best way I can desrcibe it) but if they are non-chalant she is fine.
Sorry this is so long.....
Thanks for the input!

PS- she is not aggressive about food, toys, being bathed, or even handled roughly by me or husband.

·
Registered
979 Posts
sashasmom said:
Hi all-
I did some back-reading and saw lots of interesting stuff about fear agression. I thought I would post our story to get some input. Sasha is about 1 year old, bully mix. We got her at 6 months, she was found chained up in a bad part of town known for it's dog fights. She weighed about 17 lbs. In just 2 months she put on about 20 lbs and grew "up" about 6 inches! (today she weighed 53 lbs!) When we took her to our former vet, she acted fine, very submissive, almost to the point of falling asleep.
Well, she had a problem with being housebroken in that she would pee on herself (and the couch) when she napped. Never in her crate, never in her bed.... just when she was napping. We mentioned it to our ver and he put her on phenylpropalamine (sp?). Well...things rolled along for about a month and on New Year's Day we came home from in-laws, fed dogs (and I gave her her meds) and I left the lid not comepltely screwed on (dumb dumb dumb - could've killed my own dog!). Next thing....I come around the corner and there is Sasha making a meal of the PPA pills. We called Humane Society poison control, they walked us through inducing vomting (with hydrogen peroxide) but the pills that came out were partially disolved. Next, her hair started standing on end and her skin turned bright red. So we rushed to Med Vet where she spent the next 72 hours - it was touch and go for awhile but she pulled through and everyone there loved her (after the $1500 vet bill I suppose they did!). But the discharging vet remarked that when he examined her she howled like crazy and they had to muzzle her.
Skip to more recent times, we took her to get spayed and our new vet (we left the old one after Med Vet questioned why he put a 6-month old pup on PPA for a behavior issue) had some of the same issues when examening her.
Skip to today and we took her in for boosters and it was awful - she was muzzled and growled and would've bitten my husband, the vet, me....everyone.
We start obediance class Thursday.
To most strangers she growls at them if they "stare" at her (best way I can desrcibe it) but if they are non-chalant she is fine.
Sorry this is so long.....
Thanks for the input!

PS- she is not aggressive about food, toys, being bathed, or even handled roughly by me or husband.
I don't think he gave her ppa for a behavioral problem. Peeing in your sleep is incontinence, that's why he prescribed PPA. I would go back to the vet she liked. And I would also just visit your vet's office for kicks and treats and no other reason and see if you can get her back to her old self.

Paula

·
Registered
35 Posts
MIne can be the same way we one changed vets ...... and two always put a muzzle on him at the vets office. I know that his issues stemed from a vet that shoved a themometor up his rear end and then did not stop even though he was growling .... Basically what my vet told me is that because the vet didn't stop the behavior after bo warmed him that now Bo doesn't know how to react so part of it is we have to train him what aprpriate responses are. She also said that the vet should have stopped immediatly when he started growling.I also sometimes wonder if the vets at the humane society or just the issue of being there has something to do with it. When we got bo he was a submissive pe'er but is much much better now I don't think he has had an incenebt in about 6months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts