Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just home for lunch and had Baylee in the house with me.....she was content chewing on her ball when one of the construction workers walked in the back door....

she immediately went on high alert, did the bark but not quite a bark, and moved forward and just stood there....

then 5 minutes later, the 2nd worker comes in the same door and off the floor she goes, doing the huffing and puffing thing....when the worker whistled for her, she got all wiggly butt yet continued to be in this state of afraid/confusion/protection....

she never went to him, so he just continued upstairs.... she layed down about 2 feet in front of my with her chin on the floor but with her ears up....

i'm sure she's more of the fear biter type, but i really kinda liked the way she acted..... i like the idea that she can be perceived as aggressive... especially when i'm alone in the house with constructions workers....

is that wrong?
and if i should have corrected her, how would i have gone about it?
but, since i liked the behaviour, how could i continue it?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
you know it's all just a he said she said thing when it comes to dogs ! ...bottom line there an animal just respect them love them and witch ever way works for you and your dog go with it that what i say !

·
Registered
320 Posts
So true alphamale!!!

I don't think you need to encourage protective behaviour (in a house pet)....it just comes naturally to dogs. :D

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I see where you're coming from Snarky.

Years ago, my house was broken into and i was home alone during the day.
The guy broke down the back door which woke me up, but my
RIP sheepdog slept thru the whole thing!!!!
Luckily the cops came before he got upstairs.
She would have welcomed anyone into my home!

Now Orson will welcome anyone into my home also,
but him being a bully breed i would suspect anyone would turn and run.
He hardly barks but sometimes in the middle of nite when he hears something he goes halfway down stairs and barks very deep.

But I neither encourage or discourage that behavior. Of course,
I am thinking to myself "good dog!"

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree with you Orson and India,

i'm really happy that she's taking a stance, i really don't think she'd do anything but run and hide if truly threatened, but i like the front she puts on to non family members and (non)friends...

:wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep an eye on her

Don't ever assume that she will turn and run. Skillet, my 1 1/2 yr old male AB was the same way. He only barked if the other AB barked and loved everybody.
My boyfriend and I came home one day acompanied by a friend, Chris. Jay was still outside so I was alone in the house with Chris. I let Skillet out of his room and he went straight for Chris, growling and showing his teeth.
I have always praised the boys for being vocal and letting people know they are there to protect us but they are also trained that they are to back down and shut up when I say "enough". Which is what I told Skillet when he went after Chris and it worked. Skillet backed off right away. Make sure she knows a stop command.

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
What I find with one of my dogs, is that he puts himself in between me and what he feels he needs to protect me from. He is St. Bernard/German Shepard mix. I would think in doing this he is on guard to see what is going to happen. I never get the feeling that he will charge, just that he is not going to let something happen to me. He stands his ground as if they are going to have to go through him to get to me. Have to admit, it does make me feel quite safe.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
"Have to admit, it does make me feel quite safe."

I agree. Even if it is a false sense of security (hopefully I'll never know), I do feel safer when Harley's with me :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't discourage it, but I don't egg him on either. There is no way an intruder would survive breaking in to our house. When Bam bristles and growls it's not an act. People who aren't me don't touch my wife, without him pitching a fit. He loves Becky's mom to pieces but not when they hug. He stiffens all over and watches the other person like a hawk. If it's a man he will growl. One word from her and they're deadmeat. We didn't teach this to him. I think it comes natural to these breeds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts