Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old OEB and I feed him 2-3 times daily or sort of. When I feed him (Jerry) he nitpicks and never finishs his food in a sitting. Should I leave out the food or take it away and try again a few hours later. :?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Definately pick it up. That discourages "free feeding".

·
Registered
932 Posts
Really??? I didn't know free feeding was bad??? I usually let Patch eat whenever he's hungry... if i put his bowl out and he wants to sit with us instead i usually let him... then later when he is hungry he usually finds his way to the bowl...

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
Look at that little guy. He surely does not look like the kind to nitpick. I guess it depends on how much you are putting down for him to eat at one time. He will probably not eat more than a half a cup at a feeding plus he also has baby teeth to consider. What size pellets are you putting down for him? The food theory is mixed feelings here. Some will put food down for the day and some will put food down for 15 minutes and pull up what is not eaten after that time. For my adult dogs, I put down two cups per dog per day. I have two large (100 lbs), low energy dogs and two meduim (45 lbs), high energy dogs - they all consume the same amount of food per day due to the differences in their energy levels. As long as your pup is drinking water regularly, I would measure and write down the amount you give him per feeding and how much he eats of it.
This will give you the info you need to see if he is eating enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I agree with the no free feeding. Most resources say to leave their food out for them for about a half an hour. We leave ours out for about twenty minutes. If she don't eat she waits until next time.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There's a few different reasons to not let free feed, for US in our house, it is because we have multiple dogs and they'd steal each others food.
But we also do it because food is one of the best "resources" with which to remind your dog that YOU control the resources! Because if the food just lays around the dog can access it anytime. There's no "magical" quality to the food.
If you keep the food up and only feed at certain times, and have the dog "sit" before feeding, you become the "alpha" in your dog's mind, because you're giving it the resource (the food) AFTER it performs a task.
That's a small part of NILIF (nothing in life is free).

·
Registered
932 Posts
I try to implement NILF as often as I can... e.g. he sits before we give him his food, etc.. but with the feeding, sometimes I come home and pop out a bowl full of food and I've got to duck out again, or i'll leave his bowl out after our cuddle in the morning and i go to work...

So sometimes I'm not even there to wait around for 20 mins to take the bowl away.

I guess you can only do what you can!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Patch said:
I try to implement NILF as often as I can... e.g. he sits before we give him his food, etc.. but with the feeding, sometimes I come home and pop out a bowl full of food and I've got to duck out again, or i'll leave his bowl out after our cuddle in the morning and i go to work...

So sometimes I'm not even there to wait around for 20 mins to take the bowl away.

I guess you can only do what you can!
Oh yeah it isn't like a science. Sitting before eating is a biggie!
You know, in my ACO training classes, a dog trainer came in and said that if you only taught your dog to SIT, if that was the ONLY thing you ever taught it, that would be good. Because many people don't even do that :shock:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your replys, I will pick up his bowl after 30 mins or so. And getting him to sit before he eats is a great idea,& i will do that to. Im also going to cut back on how much I give him, I read the food package (Authority Harvest Baked Puppy) and it says 3 1/4 cups which seems to be to much, at most he eats half that in the morning, so Ill just give him 2 cups and see how it goes.. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree. Freefeeding is not something I would do.

1. It wreaks havoc with house training.
2. It can complicate weight control.
3. In a mult dog household you won't know if somebody isn't eating.

Paula

·
Registered
122 Posts
We feel Gus (10weeks as well) 2 cups 3 times a day and he knows when it's time to eat. He has also never left an empty bowl. We were going to increase his food to 3 cups a day but like you it seems like WAY TOO MUCH! I found too that if you look at how much they poo that's a pretty good way to guage they are getting the nutrition out of the food they need and not just adding excess bulk that they'll just poop out and have useless calories added to they're already overweight prone bodies. Gus started making less poop a few weeks ago so we gradually added about a half a cup a day. Hope that helps.!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Personally, I think 30 minutes is too long to leave food down. Both my dogs eat their food immediately but if any dog I owned even so much as walked away from their bowl I would put it up. This may sound mean and controlling to some but there are reasons I do this. I want my dogs to eat when I say they eat not when they feel like it. If you are currently free feeding and start putting it up as soon as the dog loses interest sure it may go hungry for a few days but no dog will ever intenionally starve itself. They will learn quick that they must eat when the food is put down! I find it goes a long way in terms of respect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I second what Lisa said. My dogs (all of them) eat whatever I put down immediately..no hesitation, no breaks..they just eat it. Put your dogs food down in the AM..if they don't eat within a minute..put it up and offer it for the PM feeding..continue picking up what they don't eat until they eat it. As Lisa said, no dog will starve themselves. I have seen dogs go 4 days without food before they realize I control the food and they eat when I say they eat.

Free feeding is just something i never recommend. It can lead to the problem you are having... finicky eating, as well as obesity (many bull breeds do not regulate themselves well), not knowing exactly how much your dog is eating, terrible times when traveling (free fed dogs tend not to eat on trips or it's difficult for you to allow them to eat on trips). If your dog is sick it can be harder to give meds, etc. I just don't advocate free feeding at all really.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm glad someone mentioned the Pack Animal Philosophy. I thought about mentioning this but some people look at me as if I may be soft or something. To often we try to get results with our dogs by treating them like people. We have what is going to be a large AB female. The last thing we need is a dog her size having any questions about who is in control. She gets her food after the alphas eat and for as long as the alphas allow. Not being mean... just dominant.

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
Carrie & Lisa

I know we have discussed this before, but just for the record for this post, what would your
recommendations be as far as amount of food for bully pups up to 6 months of age? Thanks, Pat
:D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Amount really varies per dog..if you have a super active pup that just burns through the calories, 3-4 cups a day may be needed (maybe more on a Giant sized breed). A less active pup may only need 2 cups. I generally use the bag as a guideline and see how your dog does..if after a week or so you see them really fill out, I would cut back by 1/2 to 1 cup. If you notice your pup seems too thin, increase by 1/2 to 1 cup..I always let the dogs show me where they are at as far as food.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I tend to agree- put the food down and if he turns up his nose or doesn't eat, take it right back up. He'll eventually eat or he'll be hungry.
He will get the message. This is what we're doing now with our mini Aussie, who is around 8-9mos., we set the food down, if she doesn't eat or act interested, she should be next time! The only thing is, sometimes we feed her an HOUR later, or try again that is. Your pup doesn't necessarily have to wait until the next meal.

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
Carrie said:
Amount really varies per dog..if you have a super active pup that just burns through the calories, 3-4 cups a day may be needed (maybe more on a Giant sized breed). A less active pup may only need 2 cups. I generally use the bag as a guideline and see how your dog does..if after a week or so you see them really fill out, I would cut back by 1/2 to 1 cup. If you notice your pup seems too thin, increase by 1/2 to 1 cup..I always let the dogs show me where they are at as far as food.

Thanks for the guidelines. it helps to have something to follow.
:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts