Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be bringing my pup home in a few days and they have been eating regular food for about a week now. My brother has been feeding them nutro large breed puppy food which i think is ok but i'll probably switch to something better. my question is what is the best way to switch foods?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I prefer Nature's Variety Prairie. My 13 weeks old pit pup gets 1 patty a day (8oz) mixed with 1 cup of Verve (by The Honest Kitchen). This totals 1 1/2pounds of food a day, which I split into two feedings.
Zeus (6yr, Akita) and Eros (6yr, AmStaff/Rottie mix) get half Nature's Variety Dry and half Northwest Naturals Raw.
Matieca (10yr, Kelpie/Chow mix) and Cuda (5yr, Min Pin) are on Nature's Variety raw, mixed with veggies and oatmeal.
Nature's Variety has worked best for us, because of their high quality ingredients and varieties available. Their raw is available in: organic chicken, chicken/turkey mix, beef, lamb, venison, and rabbit. Their dry is available in: chicken/rice, beef/barley, lamb/oatmeal, venison/millet, salmon/rice, and raw instinct (chicken/tapioca w/no grains). The also offer canned and freeze dried.

Check them out at:
http://naturesvariety.com/
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'd simply suggest buying a new bag of better quality food, once the bag you have is currently 1/2 full or lower. If you don't currently have the food, then purchase one of the smaller bags. Gradually over a week or two time mix them in together until eventually the small bag or remaining food is gone, and all he is eating is the better food. When I switched my Schnauzer over from IAMS to the DVP, I just said screw it, after a few days, and fed the IAMS to the wild animals outside, lol. He was only a few months old, and never had any problems. The food he was going to be eating was MUCH better for him, and his stool was immediately better not worse. I probably could have just switched him cold turkey, and he would have been fine. Recently I switched foods again to see how they do, and didn't gradually introduce it at all. Just finished one bag, and opened the next. They didn't have any problems at all. Though they weren't tiny puppies either.
It sounds like your puppy is still very young, and probably not old enough to be leaving it's mother and siblings yet. The pup should be eating food a lot longer than a week before coming to your home though, just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes she is a pit. I was planning on switching just wasn't sure about it at first but I think I'll try jen's suggestion

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
When Heidi was a pup, I switched her cold turky and she got horrible diahrrea and blood in her stool. It took several weeks to get her back to normal. It might work for some dogs but not all. I would be careful of that one!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
When Heidi was a pup, I switched her cold turky and she got horrible diahrrea and blood in her stool. It took several weeks to get her back to normal. It might work for some dogs but not all. I would be careful of that one!
word on that. when i switched tank from nutro to DVP duck/potato, he had soft stools for 2 weeks. but that's because i switched it immediately, without mixing in to the old food cause there was none left. :protest:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gus is on the small breed Nutro puppy chow and has been since he was at the breeder. He loves it and his poop is never hard, and he never has had diarrhea (just that typical loose puppy poo but that was for the first few weeks anyway). It doesn't score bad either on the "food rating scale" here on the forum, Hope it helps!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't recommend large breed formulas, but overall, Nutro Natural isn't a "bad" food. If you want to stick with Nutro Natural (NOT MAX), I would go with the regular puppy formula and then switch to adult at about 6 months of age or so. Do any change gradual over a week...while some dogs can handle cold turkey, I don't recommend trying it with a housedog...diarreah is not a fun thing to deal with in the house!

It's your choice on what brand of food you want to feed..there are some good threads on food here..just browse through them all and make up your mind. Also, what may be great for one dog, may not be for another..they are all different. Just stick with a food free of corn, wheat, soy, by-products, etc. and you should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts