Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cuts of meat and type of meat should I be asking my local meat market/butcher about?
I was also curious what a reasonable price per pound would be.

Or would I be looking to by it in another form? By the slab? or maybe by the carcus?

I've read a few website concerning feeding raw but I didnt see anything concerning how to purchase it other than the website selling frozen patties.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The prices of meat vary depending on where you live. I joined a feeding group in my area and I rarely pay over a $1 a lb. for meat now. If you get an extra freezer, you can take advantage of sales at local supermarkets or you could join a group and buy stuff at wholesale prices. Pretty much any cut of meat is fair game. I stay away from the large weight bearing bones because they aren't really edible. If you have a great butcher or access to hunters, you can get great deals or free food. I don't really have either of those out here so I mainly rely on ethnic grocery stores and sales. Most of the grocery stores in my area have sales on Foster Farms chickens once a month for $.57 a lb. I stock up on those and just cut them into 4 pieces. The meat to bone ratio is much better on a whole chicken than just the cheaper necks and backs.

Buying a book on raw feeding would be a great way to get you pointed in the right direction. If you don't want to buy a book, you could join some groups. I'll list some so you can check them out.

http://www.sundaysaver.com/#3 this site has all the circulars for local grocery stores so you can see what's on sale. I love this one!
http://www.dogwise.com/search.cfm several books, I love the 1st one. It makes the diet very easy to follow.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier/?yguid=174678837 you can find local suppliers here
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/BARF-lite/?yguid=281066113 these guys have a lot of great tips for starting out
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#co-ops there are two groups in colorado listed here for raw feeding

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Can I just go to the meat depart of like a stater bros and ask for marrow bones or what? Im going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow night for the wife so maybe ill look up a raw feeding book..

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Obelisk said:
Can I just go to the meat depart of like a stater bros and ask for marrow bones or what? Im going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow night for the wife so maybe ill look up a raw feeding book..
My local Ralph's sells marrow bones for really cheap. But some stores don't sell them out here. Lots of high end pet stores sell them too but they are more expensive that way. I would definitly ask the butcher though, you'd be suprised at the stuff they have lurking around back there!

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
So just walk to meat depart and when they ask me if I need anything just ask if they have any marrow bones for my dog?..lol I just dont want to look stupid!!!

I have a ralphs close by too!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Keep an eye out for "fryer season" when you can get whole fryers for about a dollar. Comes with all the yummy giblits too <<gag>>

I buy the 'tube o' meat' .... the ground beef that comes in a big 5 lb tube like breakfast sausage. I can find that on sale sometimes, and stock up. No need to get the low fat ratio mix, I buy that stuff 78/22 for my satin balls recipe for my skinny girl.

Also, don't be afraid to buy the "manager's specials" for meat that is coming up on expiration, as long as you freeze it, and use it with in a day or two after thawing, the meat will still be good, but not necessicarily appealing for us to look at. (brown spots, ect)

If you keep your eye open for deals, you will find that it can be cheaper than premium kibble. Add some Green Tripe (not bleached) too, thats cheap, and wonderful for nutrition. Beef hearts, liver, tongue, kidneys if you can find it... all cheap cuts and perfect for a rounded barf diet. You may find some better choices at a secondary grocery, kind of like a B Lister grocery store, if you will. At the premium stores, you may run into only having premium cuts of meat to choose from, at premium prices.

Hope it helps =)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Obelisk said:
So just walk to meat depart and when they ask me if I need anything just ask if they have any marrow bones for my dog?..lol I just dont want to look stupid!!!

I have a ralphs close by too!
I just tell them that I'm looking for stuff for my dogs. They're usually very helpful and sometimes they'll even give you a discount on some stuff!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
if you can find yourself an actual slaughterhouse you can probly get the bones for free, i do. pay about a buck a pound for beef (lean) 39 cents for chicken backs (40 lb box) from a chicken wholesaler. the only thing i haven't found a good deal on is fish :? . i would suggest checkin the phone book for actual wholesale people, they are usually quite nice when you explain it is for your pooch and you will get better value for your dollar. you may have to invest in a freezer tho cuz they like bulk purchases

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Attitude, IGA just had a sale on they had whole atlantic salmon and pork for $ 1.00/lb. I bought 30 lbs of salmon. They usually have it on sale when they have their $1 days sales every few months. Keep an eye out.

Magnus Maximus, I pm'ed you earlier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to look around a little better.Thanks for the PM it was very helpful. I wnet out today and found chicken necks for a dollar a pound and some stew meat for 3.39 a pound and a butt roast for 2.19 a pound .

I would love to find some meat for a dollar a pound I'm sure its out there. The wild game I've seen so far is pretty expensive though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad a didnt buy a whole bunch of that stuff, just some samples cause I ended up finding that the local grocery stores has quite a few chicken and beef cuts for 1 dollar a pound.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
It is kind of gross but adding green tripe to you dogs raw diet can do wonders. It is like the tripe you see in the supermarket but it is not bleached or cleaned so it has nutritional value. It smells like rotten something but the dogs love it and its good for them.

Some info on it: http://www.greentripe.com/

This stuff is good and doesnt smell all that bad: http://www.tripett.com/

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Kind of gross kogeki, lol. :wink: It has to be the nastiest stuff around. But the best nutritionally. I like to get my tripe from sources I know. So I know they are grass fed, the farmers don't use any hormones, etc.... That site you posted kogeki says they are antibiotic and hormone free, that's good. It's a lot more expensive than what I pay though.

I get mine in 20 lt pails and it takes me about 20 mins to package it into meal size bags. My hubby hates it if I do it in the house, it smells that bad! Wait till winter comes, lol. Good thing I only have to do it once every couple months. :D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
We have tripe tuesdays at my house because that is trash day! After I put the tripe in the bowls, the bag and packaging goes straight to the curb for the trashman! I grew up with horses so I was prepared for a "barnyard smell" but it was much stronger than I could have ever dreamt of! The dogs seem to think it's crack or something. I practically have to fight them off when I pull the package out of the fridge! lol I get mine from greentripe.com too.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
TANKIE WANKIE said:
how do u feed the green tripe do u mix it with there dog food and if u do how much do u mix
I buy the stuff that is ground up allready. It can be fed as a meal in itself, as a side dish, or a treat, it's very flexible. Tripe is supposed to be a "wonder food" that is completely balanced. It isn't rich like organ meats so you don't have to worry about dire rear either. The first time I fed it, Chico sat next to the freezer and cried for about an hour. I'm telling ya, it only takes one time and they're hooked for life! It's doggy crack! :shock:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
That site you posted kogeki says they are antibiotic and hormone free, that's good. It's a lot more expensive than what I pay though.
It might be worth it if you dont want to deal with the smell :lol: That stuff pretty much smells like canned dog food. We got cans of the Solid Gold green tripe and it is just as nasty as the fresh whole stuff. I hadnt fed it to them in a while and when I cracked a can last week I actually gagged. It takes alot for me to gag, lol.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
kogeki said:
That site you posted kogeki says they are antibiotic and hormone free, that's good. It's a lot more expensive than what I pay though.
It might be worth it if you dont want to deal with the smell :lol: That stuff pretty much smells like canned dog food. We got cans of the Solid Gold green tripe and it is just as nasty as the fresh whole stuff. I hadnt fed it to them in a while and when I cracked a can last week I actually gagged. It takes alot for me to gag, lol.
I can't really understand how any tripe non processed in any way can not smell bad. Tripe is tripe (green tripe), they must do something to it to make it not smell that bad. I prefer to do it myself and buy it from a farmer I trust. I also live in Canada and shipping would be insane. Even though I hate doing it :sign11: , 20 mins won't kill me. I also think Jazmine loves it stinky! I really must love my dogs to do this for them.

I hate the smell of venison too and I cut it up and package it. It takes me much longer to do, but I only have to do it for the season and I'm done. My friend just got a big buck yesterday, so not only are we getting the stuff that's been in his freezers for a while (he's cleaning them out to make room for more), but we get the leftovers from the butcher! Venison is Jazmine's favorite, so she will be in heaven. It's too bad none of you live near me, I am going to be giving some away. I have this feeling I'll have more than I need by the end of the season.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts