Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moose has decided that he will not eat breakfast anymore. Dinner he will only eat 2 cups worth. This is not what he usually eats. His amount is 4 cups a day. So my question is , isn't it to little to only have him eat 1/2 the amount of food. I don't want him to get skinny. He is 14 months. He eats good food. I am a little worried. What do you all think?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If he's eating "good food", as you say, two cups is plenty to keep him healthy. Chopper only gets 2 1/2-3 cups a day, and he's 107 lbs. Moose has a slender build, so that should be fine. As long as nothing else is wrong, sounds like maybe he's hit a plateau and just doesn't need to eat as much to sustain.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slender is true. I want him to bulk out just alittle more but he is young and still growing. This is why I was worried. He is growing and i want him to get all the nutrients needed. Can't force him to eat, he has been a picky eater all his life. Thanks and boy Chopper is large.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Yeah, Chops can actually stand to loose a few pounds. :oops: Winter weight, ya know? My hubby has started biking with him, so he may actually be less now.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
debs said:
Thanks and boy Chopper is large.
I think its all in his head too lol

But I believe he has just hit a plateau like Karen mentioned. Do you take him for a walk before you feed him? Kate always gets her morning walk and afternoon walk before she is feed and she always has ate everything

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I walk him in the evening because it is way to hot. I do notice that he eats better after the walk and cool down. I guess it is a plateau. I feel better thanks.
debs

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
just a thought

i noticed with my 2 dogs that when summer hit full force, their eating slowed down.... could be the heat... :wink:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I thought that around a year they were supposed to get cut back?

·
Registered
410 Posts
my 2 have cut back on their eating as well I contributed it to the heat, they do alot more sleeping inside the house after they go out then they did before too...

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I agree about the heat. My dogs always eat less in the summer,
I think they are more comfortable with a tummy that is not so full.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Kate said:
debs said:
Thanks and boy Chopper is large.
I think its all in his head too lol

But I believe he has just hit a plateau like Karen mentioned. Do you take him for a walk before you feed him? Kate always gets her morning walk and afternoon walk before she is feed and she always has ate everything
LOL yeah, he weighs 106 lbs but 75 of it is his head! :laughing6:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw poor Chopper. He's not fat he is just large, more to love LOL Moose is only 80-85 pounds. Depends on if he eats good that week (Mr. Finicky).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts