Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from several people that female pits are spiteful and more aggresive than males, and I am looking into getting a female. I already have a male and he is wonderful with our daughter and our concerns were hightened when we heard about the females being aggresive. Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Female pits are no more aggressive than males, it really depends on the dog itself. If anything males are more aggessive then females, I am guessing that one of two things happened. Who ever told you that already had dogs and adding the female caused problems in the pack or they just got an aggressive dog.
Introduce your dog properly and it will increase your likelyhood of the dogs getting along. Pitbulls should not be people aggressive if for some reason she is that is a serious temperment fault and you need to take action immediatly! But you will probably be fine. Keep an eye on the two dogs when they are together and if they start fighting with one another crate and rotate them. Good luck-Angie

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I have also heard that females can be "bitchier" than males, but I've got 2 females, and in my experience, they have been way more passive than my male. When you pick out your pup, just look for one that seems to have a more passive, but confident temperament.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I agree with Lubabull.
I picked out the most passive one of the two pups when I got Orson.
The female played hard, was nibbling and biting during play and
was just really hyper. Then I picked up Orson, and he just threw his
paws around my neck and was happy just to be held.

And like Angie said, male/females are better than female/female who
would be b*tchy with each other.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i don't know about pits. but i talked to a WELL RESPECTED ab breeder and she said she does not and can not let 2 females out at the same time. but she can with males. take it for what it's worth. again those aren't pits tho.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mum has a female APBT and she never encountered aggression problems with her. She use to live with a male sheltie till he passed.

My female staffy is way more full on, I think what you've been told is when 2 bitches of any breed get together if both are very dominant dogs you'd be looking at a living nightmare. From what I've heard from breeders once a bitch has a fight she never forgets and will constantly try to get back at the other bitch.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I don't where you heard this, but it is certainly not true. It is fact that females mature faster than males. Of course, spaying will help with some aggression and is an immediate priority.

Research more. Ask different experience owners, trainers, etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Stormy said:
Mum has a female APBT and she never encountered aggression problems with her. She use to live with a male sheltie till he passed.

My female staffy is way more full on, I think what you've been told is when 2 bwitches of any breed get together if both are very dominant dogs you'd be looking at a living nightmare. From what I've heard from breeders once a b-witch has a fight she never forgets and will constantly try to get back at the other b-witch.
not rue with 2 females we have 3 1 male 2 females and never a problem eating toys u name it maybe were are just lucky

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe it's luck, I had a female terrier and female german shepard together without any problems. The terrier was the dominant one and the other dog accepted it.

Put together 2 dogs that have a higher risk of dog aggression and dominance and it's a different story. I'm just repeating what I've heard from breeders who been in the business for years. Once a female has a fight she doesn't forget. A male is more likely to let the incident go.

My staffy tried to get through a solid fence to attack mums APBT 2 days after she was desexed. Some dogs just have such a high animal aggression drive, they want to attack anything that moves and they enjoy it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
In my experience, females tend to be "on" much more than males...whether it's thier faster maturity rate, cycles, etc. I'm not sure. I just know that I have been more successful with males tolerating each other moreso than females. Regardless of sex, I never recommend same sex dogs be kept as pairs..you stand a much higher risk of dog aggression.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Stormy said:
From what I've heard from breeders once a b-witch has a fight she never forgets and will constantly try to get back at the other b-witch.
We had a little fight the first night Carla came home (extenuating circumstances: she had just gotten fixed the day before and was definatley not feeling well). With in a week Carla (APBT) started to warm up to Roo (lab mix) and now she LOVES Roo! She never shows any signs of aggression towards Roo. However, when certain neighborhood dogs walk, by Carla has to talk trash even though there has never been a fight. And it is only certain dogs too.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My late female pit was very protective and dominant towards strangers (pretty much did the stare down and snort at men who got too close to me on our walks). Took a very responsible person to safely own that girl. My pomeranian is also female, and I don't know if it is the typical pomeranian genes (smallest guard dog) or learning behaviors from my late girl because she is very dominant as well. Can't say that females are more dominant/protective but most people I know with females say they are, not dominant towards them but mostly to the outside world.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have 2 females and 1 male........one of my females is very bitchy and aggresive....the other female is not aggresive at all. It really depends on the dog, not the gender.

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Clara loves my other three dogs, but she is food and "her stuff" aggressive/protective.
I have learned to keep these things seperated to avoid problems. Of the four dogs, my
male is the most laid back but he is also the one that stands, sits and lays in between me
and anything else. He guards me night and day and has on occasion been ready to
attack on my account. The other three are females and are quicker to bark at something
they hear or see - two of which are more mouth than anything. Clara on the other hand
keeps her eye on Rusty, the male and takes her cue from him. As far as getting along -
they all get along as long as the food dishes kept seperated.
:wink: :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When talking about two neutered dogs, I would trust two males way before I would trust two females. Females are manipulative little monsters . . .

That being said, I have had 3 amazing female foster pit bulls, two were not DA at all, the third was fine with males but I wouldn't trust her to be out with females just because her drive was intense. Two were perfect little ladies who waited their turn, never pushed into other dogs, and were a sheer joy to have around. The third was a drivey thing that drove myself, and Wally, absolutely insane. I know it sounds weird to hear from someone who likes to work her dog, but I can't STAND a drivey dog. They make me nutty. So yeah, if you have your heart set on a female that doesn't mean she's going to be an uber bitch, there's just a greater possibility ;)

I was actually discussing male vs. female this past weekend because I am a firm believer in only having male dogs. The person I was talking to prefers females because they are more intelligent than males are, the males are too dopey. I guess I've just been lucky and have gotten two intelligent alpha males (oh yes, my house is always a good time :roll: ) and skipped out on the dopey dogs . . . but I guess I'll either have to get a female or deal with the dopey since my next dog will be a bully of some sort. Oh well :lol:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I'm sure it's just her individual personality, but my female is a total b*tch sometimes. She always has to get her way and gets annoyed if she doesn't. She just looks at us like "How could you do this to me??" if we put her in her crate or don't share our food with her. We have to revert to very strict NILIF with her all the time because she likes to try to manipulate us too much!

Now, our male dog is much more laid back and complacent. He's happy just to get a couple of meals and some affection every day!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts