Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you have owned females that have suffered at some point in their life from incontinence? If so, was your female spayed or intact? Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lady had a problem with incontinence for the last 3-4 months of her life(@ 12yrs) she was spayed at 7 months but also had a bladder surgery for stones a couple years ago and was on pretty high dose of prednisone. So all those things combined the vets thought it wasn't a big deal, meaning they didn't want to cut the prednisone down or put her on any other drugs. It was just a pain for us.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Both of my cocker spaniels had problems for about the last year of their lives. It was a real bummer. One was a male and one was a female. They were both speutered.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Unfortunatly my females when they got old - 10 years or older became incontinent. My rotti mix is 10 1/2 -11 years old and is starting. It stinks both in the carpet and for the poor animal. My vet said that is common in spayed animals. Why do you have one?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
debs said:
Unfortunatly my females when they got old - 10 years or older became incontinent. My rotti mix is 10 1/2 -11 years old and is starting. It stinks both in the carpet and for the poor animal. My vet said that is common in spayed animals. Why do you have one?
No I don't have an incontinent female but I have been told that spaying increases the occurence of incontinence and I am just trying to see what the experiences are of the people on this board.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My 10 yr old ridgeback female has spay incontinence, or what I like to call 'leaky bitch disease'. She is on DES and it seems to have done the trick. It's part of getting old I guess. In my mind is should be so lucky as to have my dogs long enough for them to get incontinent.

Paula

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I was also told that when you spay the chance of this happening is greater then having an unspayed dog more so when they get older 7-8.My brother in law has a dobbi who was spayed , she is 10 now and has had this problem since she was 6 and it is only getting worse with age.I have Molly spayed and she is 7 and I have not had this problem yet~ knocking on wood now ~ So you either go through the heat cycles or have a dog that pees all over which is what I said to my vet who told me this, I guess you cant win...........lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kelly said:
I was also told that when you spay the chance of this happening is greater then having an unspayed dog more so when they get older 7-8.My brother in law has a dobbi who was spayed , she is 10 now and has had this problem since she was 6 and it is only getting worse with age.I have Molly spayed and she is 7 and I have not had this problem yet~ knocking on wood now ~ So you either go through the heat cycles or have a dog that pees all over which is what I said to my vet who told me this, I guess you cant win...........lol
Well she's not going to die from incontinence but she could die from pyometra right? Besides you get great results with PPA or DES hormone therapy when it comes to incontinence.

Paula

·
Registered
704 Posts
Any females I had with incontinance were older dogs. I can say though, that my heeler's who were not fixed, did not have any problems until they were 12+ years old, while my Rottie and Shepard were fixed and developed problems at 8 and 9 years old. Whether it was from the spay or just the fact that large breeds tend to age faster than smaller breeds, I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Tinker was incontinent - but then again she had spina bifida (sp). I've heard that spay incontinence DOES happen, but there are meds that help control it and some dogs eventually don't needs the meds anymore.

I agree that the benefits of spaying, even with the low risk of incontinence, far out weigh the risks of not spaying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts