Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what I'm talking about? A trainer I know said when dogs are seperated by a fence, they will often act more aggressive than if they were 'face to face'. Last weekend, Jason and I were walking Rocket...we went to the park in our neighborhood and he got plenty of pets from all the kids there (it has several baseball feilds, so there's always a lot of people...great opportunity for socialization). On the way back, we passed by a house (fenced in yard) and two goldens (owned by a BYB :evil: ) charged the fence and started acting crazy, Rocket tensed up and did a low growl...we walked on and then one of the dogs started trying to jump the fence :shock: Rocket charged the fence and BROKE HIS CHOKE CHAIN!!! I know, I know...choke chains aren't good...it's just what we have his leash hooked to...never really had to 'use it' as a training tool, just haven't gotten around to getting a different kind of collar (he has a regular collar with his tags on it). And by broke, I mean the thing split in two! He charged the fence, stood there barking...I got him by the collar, that got his attention and put him in a sit-stay. Once he seemed calm (the goldens had run for cover by this point) we walked home.

My trainer friend said the aggression by all three dogs was probably exacerbated by the fence between them...any thoughts on that? Needless to say we'll be avoiding that area, but I was just curious if anyone else had experince with this. Rocket is 10.5 months old and has never shown aggresison towards other dogs (although i know it will probably happen) and we don't really try to socialize him with other dogs. We have a pit/boxer mix female puppy that he gets along with VERY well, but other than that, his exposure to other dogs has been non-existent. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Chopper was involved in a fence fight once also. He broke a blood vessel in his eye and scraped up his muzzel before Scott could pull him away. :roll: I agree that the dogs act more violently with the fence between them. The dogs on the other side of the fence are protecting their turf from this strange dog who, in their opinion, is too close! The dog on the other side of the fence reacts to them and BAM it's on! What we do is just stay very alert while on walks. We use a prong collar and keep him in close check. I wouldn't neccesarily worry about it, but I wouldn't avoid that area either. Avoiding the problem won't help fix it. Get a good collar, whatever type you decide to use. Do what you did the first time, put him in a sit stay, practice your "Look at me" or whatever command you use to get his attention on you. Maybe start by walking on the other side of the street. That's what we've done with Chopper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Problem

Yeah, we have that problem too... a golden retreiver and black lab... it kind of reminds me of "The Sandlot", because they get all worked up and the fence starts shaking, but you can't really see who's over there. The lab, when alone, is fine... just sits there, but when the golden's out there, it's ON! If their owners are in the yard they are under control, but I think they leave them out during the day, because there's nobody around, and they just go NUTS! Vito, of course, eggs them on... I make him sit, and chill out, then we start going and he goes nuts again, so we now just cross the street, otherwise that fence may come down and some ugliness will occur. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Fence fighting :roll: A daily happening at my house!

Actually, Dixie has stopped, dont know why. She was vicious too. She'd scratch her nose all up to the point it would bleed. The other dog behind us would bark, just to get her going, then sit back and watch her! She'd raise all kind of hell!
It was scarey, because I was afraid she'd get his nose or knock the fence down.

But it has stopped. HOWEVER< Daizy does it now. And the boys know better, they have just GOT to run out there though and get a jab in, just once, and then they come back. Daizy doesnt quit though.

I had a trainer tell me too that it is because the fence is there, they act all big and tough. However, I dont think so. I mean, I am sure that that CAN be an excuse for many, however not mine. At the vet the other day, and remember, we socialize our dogs (pups) to death, I had Cato and someone brought in a shihtzu (sp?) Cato was just fine, sat and looked at him, till the shithzu barked. All hell broke loose. It took all we had to hold him back, I was just praying his collar wouldnt give!

Wasnt any fence there!

I think if another dog, just barks, I mean, we dont understand dog language........who knows what that bark means....it is on!!You know what I am saying?Because at the pet store and parks my dogs are fine, but man, dont bark at them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We actually just moved into a new house and there's a 4 foot chainlink fence between our house and the neighbor's. They've got two dogs, one that can jump it so he's tied in front, and another that just barks and barks at reddy. They don't really fight, but just run back and forth barking. Not sure how long this will last.

My plan is to put up a real 6 foot picket fence they can't see through in the spring. Think it will help?

The first day we were there moving in, that akita hopped the fense and chased Red down until I grabbed his scruff and pulled him away. They were fine, but Red was a little scared. I don't see him being quite so scared come next year, so I'll be putting a stop to that as soon as possible. :(

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yes, I was told by many that a privacy fence will almost stop this. It is the seeing part that they react to the most I think. Because we have several neighborhood dogs that bark in the evenings and mornings, however my pups dont bat an eye or pay any attention, but as soon as old Bob comes out the back door, they are on!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
wow, do i see some major problems about to happen with these posts. teaching your dog to be a good neibour is extremely important folks. if you have dogs living next to you teaching boundries is a must, even if you only teach your own dog to respect those boundries and the neibours be damned. if a neibours dog EVER ended up in my yard it would be on it's way to the pound. paying a few fines would teach them to keep their dog IN THEIR yard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah... We had words... I didn't want to be too too harsh though, as I'd just moved into the house a few hours prior and the first time I spoke to her I had a deathgrip on her dog's neck. He looked very apologetic and so did she.

I'm learning their dogs are not very well trained at all, (I watched their other fence-running dog snap at her son!) and I'd rather this doesn't effect my pup. She's kept him tied on a lead ever since though, so there hasn't been another incident.

Good fences make good neighbors ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fence fighting can cause more problems by building up unresolved aggression. Dogs should not be put in this situation. I'd definitely build the privacy fence, or place something in the chain link to discontinue the behavior immediately. It's not good for your dog, and should not be allowed! I've read about a similar situation where the fence fighting caused aggression between two dogs that were in the same yard. They couldn't get to the other dog, so the aggression was placed on each other. I'd be more apt to bet they WILL fight/would fight had they gotten out of that fence, and completely disagree with that trainer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
414 Posts
QUESTION:

The way the houses are set up in my neighborhood, when me and holly walk down the driveway we pass the neighbors fence. The golden will charge out and bare his teeth and snarl. Holly used to go nutz but now she completely ignores him (he is 6 yr she is 8 mnths). The problem is that even though she completely ignores him and just sniffs around, he goes crazy everytime we walk aboutside. She is also always on a leash. the yards are the nice square backs yards , its oddly shaped so fencing wont work. Is there really anything that we can do about it?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
slid3r said:
QUESTION:

The way the houses are set up in my neighborhood, when me and holly walk down the driveway we pass the neighbors fence. The golden will charge out and bare his teeth and snarl. Holly used to go nutz but now she completely ignores him (he is 6 yr she is 8 mnths). The problem is that even though she completely ignores him and just sniffs around, he goes crazy everytime we walk aboutside. She is also always on a leash. the yards are the nice square backs yards , its oddly shaped so fencing wont work. Is there really anything that we can do about it?
i take it you mean to say the yards aren't nice and square? so far it sounds like your pup is being a well mannered neibour, good work. perhaps lose a sliver of backyard here and there and fence it in so holly can have the run of the yard off leash. my yard is, or was, not really a square either i chose to loose a bit here and there to have a nice solid fence so my dogs can have a yard. or at least fence a portion of it , you don't even have to fence the whole yard.
as for the neibours dog, try and keep holly focused on you and ignoring the other dog :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some dogs are also more aggressive when they are on leash, and I think that a fence is kind of the same principle....I don't really think it's that they think they can act big and tough....I think it's more the feeling of being restrained which leads to the aggression for some, or a territorial thing for some (both dogs think the side of the fence they are on is their territory), and also a game for others/just a bad habbit. From the sounds of it those dogs were "protecting" their yard, and your dog saw it as a threat to you and was trying to protect you. So next time just keep his focus on you, so that he can see your reaction (so he will know that you don't feel threatened).

I used to take my old dog to a baseball diamond, and he would go NUTS at the fence.....snarling, barking, snapping. But if the dog were to come inside the baseball diamond with him he would be completely fine! He actually knew where the gate was and would follow the dog along the fence up to the gate, and then submissively lay down while the other owner opened the gate, and then they would sniff, and run and play. There was a group of about 5 of us who went their often, and none of us ever had any problems once they were both on the same side of the fence. At home their was another dog who lived beside us, and the dogs used to bark at eachother through the fence, but then one day made friends outside of the yards while they were both on leash (my dog was the ONLY dog that this dog has ever "liked").....next thing I know my dog is pushing trying to push all his toys through the fence, and squeezing little crab apples through the fence to her everytime he was outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts