Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally switched to DVP duck/pot, from some nasty cheap stuff we have been feeding (I know I know..). WOW! No more gas! But sheeeesh, the cheapest I found DVP was for $50 bucks for a 30LB bag.. this is guna put a hole in my pocket! But im sure its going to be worth it :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
If you live near a PetCo, theirs is usually about $40 a bag and you can sign up for the P.A.L.S. card, which entitles you to a free bag after you buy 10.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
My guys LOVED the duck and potato. Be careful, though - keep an eye on him. Buster, Dino, and Misha all chunked up on this food, and I haven't been able to get it back off of chunky-butt Buster (Misha and Dino had no problem, but then again, they don't sleep for a good 22 hours of each day- LOL). You will have to feed less of the DVP that you did of the other.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
My guys LOVED the duck and potato. Be careful, though - keep an eye on him. Buster, Dino, and Misha all chunked up on this food, and I haven't been able to get it back off of chunky-butt Buster (Misha and Dino had no problem, but then again, they don't sleep for a good 22 hours of each day- LOL). You will have to feed less of the DVP that you did of the other
Yeah, Orson chunked up too cause i was feeding him 4 cups of DVP a day!
:shock: Now, he gets 2 cups a day and lost all his mushiness.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Interesting observations! Thanks for posting those "watch outs". We switched Chopper over to DVP Duck/Pot & he has chunked up also. Went from 72 to 93 lbs. Chopper gets about 3 1/2 cups a day. We cut out all the table scraps completely & thought he would lose a few! Who are we kidding! Not Chops. His # 1 thing in life is FOOD!!! We've tried cutting down the amount of DVP D/P he was getting fed, but he was walking around in the evenings as though he hadn't been fed in 2 weeks. So we keep it about 3 1/2. That seems to satisfy him along w/veggie, fruit & cheese (for meds & training) treats.

Maria

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mine only get the two cups as well, but they are still fat anyway. I know it will benefit them if I broke it up into smaller meals, but I don't. :oops: Anyway, is there any specific reason your feeding the duck and potatoe? The Ultra Premium is cheaper, than the Duck, as well as the venison. Does your dog have an allergy, or did you just get that one first?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No specific reason, I've just noticed how popular that type of DVP is. Also, the pet store near my house only carried that type - Checking out the Ultra now also. Is it bad to be switching their brand of food this many times?

6 months old - started with crap puppy chow, then a little less-crappy puppy chow, then regular crap-dog food, now DVP. Now thinking about switching again, to a different type of DVP :-k

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Mason seems to have gotten WORSE gas on DVP...I think my bully just is a natural GAS MACHINE!! Im gonna be making a switch again to see how he does..if no better DVP has been the best food to date he has been on

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's great news! It might seem like you are spending more. But for most premium natural foods you feed much less so you don't need to buy it as often. So really it is not as expensive as it seems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had my pup on Nutro's Large Puppy Breed, when she finished the bag I went out and bought Royal Canin Adult and she had the worst runs ever! I mean horrible, with a capital NASTY! I figured the DVP would be too rich for her also, so I switched back to Nutro, but the Active Adult version and her nastiness stopped almost immediately. Now she's back to her happy, energetic self.

I asked my cousin, who happens to have a few pits about the food and he said that he tried the DVP and another food, but it was too rich for his dogs and they had the same problem. Maybe it's a mixture of the weather, the water and the environment down here, but thankfully Nutro is stocked here locally and it's only $22 for a 35lb bag! (i believe the rating was 90something too) BTW, Petsmart/Petco's advertisements for free shipping doesn't include bags of food. Those bastards! :p

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
KyleB said:
Finally switched to DVP duck/pot, from some nasty cheap stuff we have been feeding (I know I know..). WOW! No more gas! But sheeeesh, the cheapest I found DVP was for $50 bucks for a 30LB bag.. this is guna put a hole in my pocket! But im sure its going to be worth it :D
Great food - good choice.

The thing you have to keep in mind when switching from a crap food to a premium quality is that it is usually far more nutrient dense, which means that you should be feeding significantly less of it than you have been accustomed to. Consequently, while it may cost more per bag, it usually works out about even on the cost over time.

As others have mentioned, because it is a better food that what you are used to, you should be feeding a lot less of it than you were of the food you were feeding before. It is much more nutrient and calorie dense, and it is therefore very easy to turn your dog into a big fat chunk by not adjusting the amounts accordingly ;).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Obelisk said:
Mason seems to have gotten WORSE gas on DVP...I think my bully just is a natural GAS MACHINE!! Im gonna be making a switch again to see how he does..if no better DVP has been the best food to date he has been on
For the gas, you might consider heading to your local hippy health food store and picking up a probiotic supplement, as DVP doesn't include probiotics in its formulas.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome, thanks a lot for all of the suggestions. we have cut down their food intake, so we shall see how it works out! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you buy a 30lb bag of DVP from Petco this month you get 2 free cans of http://www.naturalbalance.net/eatables/home.html and OMG I wish I could afford this buy the case... Ive NEVER seen canned food that I would like to eat.. I got Jerry the Hobo Chili and its like home made looking.. awsome stuff

If you guys/gals see this pick up a can and try it.. your dogs will do back flips for it. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts