Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I live on 10 acres in Washington state. We are looking to purchase our first bull dog for the purposes of breeding. We have noticed they range from price just under $1,000 to sometimes $2,500. Obviously we want to have the correct paperwork and registrations.

We are hoping those experienced here can guide us on our first purchase. The puppy will be inside our home with a child. In a kennel in the house at night - and the rare times it must be left on it's own - a chained fence run outside in the day.

We also were wondering if it would be appropriate to get a mail or just use a stud service? We know a couple other local families who have done this and understand all that is involved - but just need some help getting started.

Thank you

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sorry, but you should not be buying a bulldog with the purpose of breeding. You say it will be your first bulldog? What type of bulldog? If you have never owned one before how will you even know what to look for when looking for a puppy or even after once your pup matures? My suggestion is to do more research....then once you have a better understanding of what to look for and what breeders are producing nice bulldogs, then obtain one. If its an AB you have to understand that it is a working breed first and formost and it takes alot of time and dedication to understand what traits to look for in an AB. Then after you have the dog spend time with it, train it, work it,health test, see what it is made of. Why are you in such a rush to breed? What do you feel you will be able to contribute to the breed you want to reproduce?? Dogs of any breed that possess all the traits that would make it a breed worthy animal are few and far between and if you think otherwise you have not done your homework. If you obtain a puppy with the purpose of breeding and do all the right things to determine if the dog should be bred or not you more than likely will be disappointed. Your goal in obtaining a puppy should not be to breed but rather a learning experience first and formost. Most dogs are not worthy of being bred plain and simple. I don't care if it is "registered" and cost you $1000 that means nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone has to start somewhere. I was certain I will get some types of discouraging emails from the more experienced and professionals out there. Not to say that was your intent - but it did have some awkwardness to it albeit very honest.

We have done much research as far as internet can provide and spoken with 2 other families who have chosen this path also.

We are looking for more guidance from the experts who appear to be on this board. This puppy will become a "part" of our family and will be treated extremely well. The breeding part I am just being honest in and we hope we can rely on folks here to treat our new family member as well as possible.

I forgot to mention I guess in my first post - but we were looking at the British Bulldog breed.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You are right, everyone does have to start somewhere, but it doesn't have to be by breeding the first dog(s) that come onto their yards. Try hitting some conformation shows, agility trials, obedience competitions. Talk to people who are out there competing with their bullies and doing well. Talk to reputable breeders about what health testing should be done prior. Find out what the ideal temperament of the EB should be. Learn about genetics and the different methods of breeding..linebreeding, inbreeding, outcrossing. Understand COI. If you are confused by those terms you are clearly not ready to breed. Maybe by getting out and mingling with established, well respected breeders you will see that only a small majoirty of dogs really do have what it takes to be a breed worthy animal. Those are the people you should be looking to mentor you, not people on a forum where 99% of them just own their dogs as companions and don't compete with them. I wouldn't say there are too many experts on this forum..lol. Experts on pet owning maybe, but not experts on breeding. Anyone can take 2 dogs and put them together to produce puppies, its the ones who have spent countless hours and countless amounts of $$$ learning about their breed of choice and competing with them, washing out dogs that don't cut it, and having them judged by a second party that makes them reputable breeders. Remember, just because you plan on treating your new addition well by giving it a good home doesn't necesarily mean you should breed it. Can you imagine if everyone in the world had that attitude? The shelters are full enough already. You didn't answer the question as to why you want to reproduce a breed of dog you have no experience with? My guess is its the $$ or why else would anyone be in such a rush?

BTW if you plan to ignore the advice and guidance you asked for, and rush into breeding anyways, be prepared to fork out $$$ for artifical insemination and c sections..not to mention, be prepared to have people come back at you if the puppies you produce turn out dysplastic , full of allergies, etc.

It's your choice, you can do it right by first finding a mentor so you can better understand what makes a good EB or you can take the other route and just follow the lead of all the other backyard breeders. Personally, no amount of $$$, could ever convince me to breed dogs that had not been proven to be good examples of their breed. I have morals and don't feel the need to use my dogs to pad my pockets. There are enough mediocre, pet quality animals out there already.

Educate yourself, find a good dog, compete with it in every avenue possible, then maybe, if you are extrmemely lucky, you may have one that is good enough to breed, but don't count on it, those dogs are gems.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Don't have any advice for you, but wanted to say "Welcome to the forum." Best of luck to you. I hope you find all the info you need to get yourself off to a great start. :D

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
first off. you do not buy puppies for breeding purposes, you buy adult proven animals. if you have done your homework then you must already know that "healthy" breed worth british bulldogs go for somewhere around $2500+, and there is a reason for that. british bulldog do not breed naturally, they do not birth naturally they are known to be poor mothers and do not have a good record of looking after the pups. have you ever bred a dog before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have had litters from smaller breeds and are aware of the complexity of this one as far as information gathered from others and the internet.

I must say this board is pretty hard towards sharing information. Seems like most are slamming us and resistant towards us having this wonderful addition to our family and/or the thought of having a litter.

I really appreciate all those who have emailed me directly and have offered some practical guidance. We are hours away from picking up our first pup and are really excited about it.

It appears that asking for help here won't get us too far so we will have to rely on other sources. This is too bad as we really thought this was the intent of this board.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Some people have different outlooks on breeding. Many people, including myself, don't see breeding as a way of making money. I see breeding as something you do for the love of the breed. You dont just go out and buy a dog to breed it. Especially when you have never owned one of that breed. I just dont get it. You are getting flack from people because they really care about bulldogs. Go to a backyard breeder forum. You'll get a warmer reception there. I dont care what anyone thinks. This kind of crap really pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Heh. You know what they say...fastest way to ruin a good breed is for it to become popular. Do the rest of us a favor and leave breeding to professional breeders - ESPECIALLY with an English Bulldog. I don't think you have the first clue what you're getting into with breeding an EB.

If you thought the "intent of this board" was to encourage and give information to every jackass back yard breeder that comes along, you pretty much could not have been more wrong.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
Heh. You know what they say...fastest way to ruin a good breed is for it to become popular. Do the rest of us a favor and leave breeding to professional breeders.

If you thought the "intent of this board" was to encourage and give information to every jackass back yard breeder that comes along, you pretty much could not have been more wrong.
=D>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Real professional group I see here. I'll remove myself from this group as it is very apparent I don't want to be associated with you bunch. The name calling is pretty darn low and disrespecful.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
hortoristic said:
Real professional group I see here. I'll remove myself from this group as it is very apparent I don't want to be associated with you bunch. The name calling is pretty darn low and disrespecful.
What a loss. Maybe one day you will understand why people get upset when people start talking about buying a dog they never even owned before and use it to breed and make money off of. But I doubt it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, some people are pretty negative around here as far as new breeders. My wife and I plan on breeding our ABs in 1.5 years. My wife is working on getting her vet tech degree and is going take some classes on breeding dogs specifically. Flame me if you will. I have had Dobies, AmStaff, and hounds. I have helped my relatives at their hound and terrier kennels when I was growing up. I will be learning as much as humanly possible in the next year and if I believe that I can't handle it I won't breed my dogs. I want to breed them because they are the most impressive breed I have seen. I want to produce the most beautiful dogs possible with good temperament, bone structure, athleticism, and drive. When we used to tree ***** with our hounds you would quickly realize if your breeding attempts were productive and what type of dog you had. You needed different types of hounds to fit the hunting bill. I learned that some dogs have a specific working purpose. Also, I have a great friend that currently breeds ABs whom I am getting my pups from that will gladly help me when I ask. If new breeders didn't appear to replace breeders who retire and decide to leave the profession the breed could expire. That almost happened to ABs before in their history. Thanks to a few people that did not happen. There are a number of extinct dogs out there by the way.

·
Registered
722 Posts
hortoristic said:
People were trying to help you and tell you that you shouldn't go out and buy a breed you know nothing about in hopes to breed it to make money (cuz obviously that's what you are wanting to do). I think that is much more professional than what you are planning on doing. [-X And I feel bad for your dog. :(

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Led said:
Well, some people are pretty negative around here as far as new breeders. My wife and I plan on breeding our ABs in 1.5 years. My wife is working on getting her vet tech degree and is going take some classes on breeding dogs specifically. Flame me if you will. I have had Dobies, AmStaff, and hounds. I have helped my relatives at their hound and terrier kennels when I was growing up. I will be learning as much as humanly possible in the next year and if I believe that I can't handle it I won't breed my dogs. I want to breed them because they are the most impressive breed I have seen. I want to produce the most beautiful dogs possible with good temperament, bone structure, athleticism, and drive. When we used to tree ***** with our hounds you would quickly realize if your breeding attempts were productive and what type of dog you had. You needed different types of hounds to fit the hunting bill. I learned that some dogs have a specific working purpose. Also, I have a great friend that currently breeds ABs whom I am getting my pups from that will gladly help me when I ask. If new breeders didn't appear to replace breeders who retire and decide to leave the profession the breed could expire. That almost happened to ABs before in their history. Thanks to a few people that did not happen. There are a number of extinct dogs out there by the way.
Well there are reasons people on this board are negative about new breeders. Maybe because everyone who gets a dog seems to want to breed it, like its the latest fad!! Maybe people get upset because they have seen many wonderful working breeds be ruined by pet owners who think that breeding their dogs is a good idea but in reality they haven't got a clue as to what to look for when judging proper working temperament. Dogs beocming extinct?? I don't think you need to worry about that happening. Have you been to any shelters lately? You refer to breeding as a profession, anyone who breeds dogs as a source of income is not a reputable breeder! Reputable breeders have real jobs and don't need to rely on their dogs to pay the bills!

Led, Since you put yourself out there, please allow me to ask you a few questions.

Isn't your one AB only 4 months and the other only like 8 weeks and not even in your possession? How can you possibly know at this point that those 2 puppies are going to mature into breed worthy animals? How can you have already made the decision you are going to breed these 2 animals? If you breed them in 1.5 years that would make both dogs under 2 yrs old when you breed them. Isn't that kind of young?? It's not even old enough for a hip certification!!!!

Do you know what NCL is and how to go about testing for it? Are you going to test your dogs for this prior to breeding?

You say you want to produce dogs with good "altheticism, good structure, good temperament, and drive." How will you test for these abilities and traits? Please be specific. Will you have your dogs judged by a second party?

How will you test for good nerve and courage since these are traits the AB should possess? Again, please be specific.

Where does a person go to take a class on dog breeding?

You say your friend breeds AB's. What does he do to test his animals? Working ability? Temperament? Conformation? Health? Or is he just another backyard breeder with a fancy website?

I have read many of your previous posts on this forum and most of them include comments about how "sweet" and how "big" or how "muscular" various dogs are and how you wished you would have gotten a puppy out of this one dog you thought was so "sweet". I have not read one post from you that mentioned anything about nerve, drive, or courage and you want to breed? You obviously will have no idea what you are looking at judging from your previous posts. Shouldn't there be other reasons you would interested in a pup out of a certain dog, after all we are talking about a working breed here and not something bred specifically as a companion animal.

Some comments made by LED:

I definitely wouldn't have minded a pup out of Belle. She is the sweetest dog I have ever been around
I looked at Dogos too before along with a few other dogs. They look great, but I ended up leaning towards the ABs. I thought the ABs look a little more muscualar. And, you have a variety of color available.
Our pup Iceman is the odd eyed pup playing with the tennis ball in the pics. Hope you like the little studmuffin.
I really love Belle, she is so beautiful and so laid back. She is incredible.
Do these sound like the comments that should be made by a breeder of working dogs?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Well said Lisa. I dont see how "a dog can go extinct" being a reason for breeding. First off, if you go to petfinder.com, you will see a ton of ABs in shelters. Its not limited to pits. And breeding should be left to professionals. I hear the argument that breeders have to start somewhere. Yes, of course this is true. But a good breeder will own and work their dogs for a long time before even contemplating breeding. And they will know everything about the breed. Breeding never even crossed my mind even before I knew about the breed. People ask if I am going to breed her and I just laugh. She has been spayed anyway. This is my first AB, how could I possibly get into breeding?

NCL is something you dont want to run into. I have never seen it personally but it sounds evil. The average life of a dog with NCL is 3 - 5 years.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Now Lisa.......you forgot something........ #-o What about the hugs and kisses??/

Lol just kidding!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts