Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,186 Posts
first off. you do not buy puppies for breeding purposes, you buy adult proven animals. if you have done your homework then you must already know that "healthy" breed worth british bulldogs go for somewhere around $2500+, and there is a reason for that. british bulldog do not breed naturally, they do not birth naturally they are known to be poor mothers and do not have a good record of looking after the pups. have you ever bred a dog before?

· Registered
4,186 Posts
wow, this is quite the thread! first off.. lisas dogs are some of the best tempered ab i know (other than mine, lol) properly socialized , sound, solid dogs. which is nice to see in this day and age of tail tucking fear biting ab's. and she does not breed
it is great to have a wonderful pet but when you decide to take on the responsibility of breeding it requires much more than just having a wonderful pet. there are four parts, in MY opinion, to breeding responsibly.
first.. health, we all know what specific health issues ab's have and if you don't know.. you shouldn't be breeding.
second ...temperament. testing the temperament of the parents to help ensure you are not going to produse a litter of skittish, scare, overly dominent, aggressive or fear biting puppies , well again, if you need to be told why this is so VERY important you should not be breeding.
third.. working ability. we are talking ab's here. they ARE a working breed. if you are going to breed a working breed then the parents NEED to be proven.
fourth... conformation. if you have the other three and your dog has the pedigree to back it up, then this one has a little play to it. myself i want the whole package.

the reason you breed a dog is to better the breed. you breed the best to the best to , hopefully, create a dog better than what you started with. not to make money, not to create pets, there are lots of pets needing homes at the pound. "do no harm" if you honestly don't believe that you are going to create the most awesome representative of the breed, then just don't bother. those of us that do rescue know, there are far to many sad, sick little examples of these breed out there already.

· Registered
4,186 Posts
" But if I am understanding correctly I don't see alot of you using your AB's as working dogs either."
the word "work" has alot of different meanings. it encompasses sport work( schutzhund, fr. ring , knvp ect) hog catching, weightpulling,obedience depending on the breed agility, herding, sledding,cart work ect. in the bulldog world pp/sport work hog catching and weightpulling are considered the way you "prove" your dog.to prove your dog can still do the things it was oringinally developed to do.
i do work my dogs and hold titles in pp, iron dog,ob, sch,weightpull and bst and i know lisa also works her dogs. working and training with your dog is an awesome way to bond. it also keeps your dog in great shape, altho lookin at me it doesn't seem to be workin so good on me (???). learning is good for a dog, it keeps em out of trouble. btw, your dogs are adorable :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.