Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Everyone on here is so worried about dogs being bread for wrong reasons. You are also worried about breeds being bread and having issues such as: hip displacia, bad temperments, not being good for working, and such. Well, I don't think there should be a topic on breeding if people can't come here and get their questioned answered. Plus, if you are so worried about a dog being bread that might have problems then answer the questions that people are asking and maybe you can help prevent that problem. And you say that a major breeder wouldn't even respond, well I think they would be more willing to help. I feel that everyone here doesn't know the answers themselves that is why they have to be rude. Basically you guys are saying that since I want to be an Accountant then I better go to talk to a CPA, because I might not be cut out for it, but with dog breeding. Well, that is what school is for and asking questions. I don't think I should have to go as far as going to school for breeding, but appropriate responses to questions would be fine. If you don't know the answer or have nothing nice to say then just don't respond. Because as far as I am concerned I am noticing this forum is full of stuck up a*****es and I won't be a part of rude people. And when you go to bed tonight just think I will be breeding my dogs and I won't know nothing about it and all the pups might have problems, because no one is willing to answer questioned appropriately. And just remember when those pups have problems you will have a small part to do with that.

No cursing on the forum

Edited by Kogeki - Moderator

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Rachel Casey said:
Everyone on here is so worried about dogs being bread for wrong reasons. You are also worried about breeds being bread and having issues such as: hip displacia, bad temperments, not being good for working, and such. Well, I don't think there should be a topic on breeding if people can't come here and get their questioned answered. Plus, if you are so worried about a dog being bread that might have problems then answer the questions that people are asking and maybe you can help prevent that problem. And you say that a major breeder wouldn't even respond, well I think they would be more willing to help. I feel that everyone here doesn't know the answers themselves that is why they have to be rude. Basically you guys are saying that since I want to be an Accountant then I better go to talk to a CPA, because I might not be cut out for it, but with dog breeding. Well, that is what school is for and asking questions. I don't think I should have to go as far as going to school for breeding, but appropriate responses to questions would be fine. If you don't know the answer or have nothing nice to say then just don't respond. Because as far as I am concerned I am noticing this forum is full of stuck up a*****es and I won't be a part of rude people. And when you go to bed tonight just think I will be breeding my dogs and I won't know nothing about it and all the pups might have problems, because no one is willing to answer questioned appropriately. And just remember when those pups have problems you will have a small part to do with that.
We are stuck up a$$holes because we care about our breeds?

"And when you go to bed tonight just think I will be breeding my dogs and I won't know nothing about it and all the pups might have problems, because no one is willing to answer questioned appropriately. And just remember when those pups have problems you will have a small part to do with that."

I cant believe you just said that. How ignorant can you possibly be? You are admitting that you know absolutely nothing about breeding yet you are going to do it anyway? What the hell is wrong with you? Bella is right, you are the type of person that is ruining our breeds. All breeding questions are answered here. But if you come on here saying that you are going breed your pet because you like the dog and you have never bred before you are going to get ADVICE. See we love our dogs here. There are plenty of forums out there where people dont give a crap about the breed. Go there. They will welcome you with open arms. I tried being nice to you and you turn around and call us a$$holes.

· Registered
329 Posts
Rachel Casey said:
Everyone on here is so worried about dogs being bread for wrong reasons. You are also worried about breeds being bread and having issues such as: hip displacia, bad temperments, not being good for working, and such. Well, I don't think there should be a topic on breeding if people can't come here and get their questioned answered. Plus, if you are so worried about a dog being bread that might have problems then answer the questions that people are asking and maybe you can help prevent that problem. And you say that a major breeder wouldn't even respond, well I think they would be more willing to help. I feel that everyone here doesn't know the answers themselves that is why they have to be rude. Basically you guys are saying that since I want to be an Accountant then I better go to talk to a CPA, because I might not be cut out for it, but with dog breeding. Well, that is what school is for and asking questions. I don't think I should have to go as far as going to school for breeding, but appropriate responses to questions would be fine. If you don't know the answer or have nothing nice to say then just don't respond. Because as far as I am concerned I am noticing this forum is full of stuck up ** and I won't be a part of rude people. And when you go to bed tonight just think I will be breeding my dogs and I won't know nothing about it and all the pups might have problems, because no one is willing to answer questioned appropriately. And just remember when those pups have problems you will have a small part to do with that.
If you don't understand the gravity of this subject then you clearly should not be breeding. I don't think you realize the difference between an AB and a labrador. Bully breeds are NOT suitable for every family. It's people like you who jump in without knowing anything that dishonor the breed. IF YOU WERE A RESPONSIBLE PERSON THAT WAS NOT FINDING THE NECESSARY BREEDING INFO ON THIS FORUM, YOU WOULD GO ELSEWHERE BEFORE BREEDING YOUR DOG.

· Registered
32 Posts
That is exactly what I was saying. I am sorry I called everyong asshole's but everybody was cutting on a guy for asking a question that you should respond to nicely. He wanted everyones advice. That was all I was saying. And I do know alot about my breed. I wouldn't have purchased AB's if I didn't know. And no I am not just going to go out and breed my dogs, that is exactly why I signed on to this forum, so I could learn more about the process. But when I saw everyone cutting that guy down, it made me think that you guys are not nice and I wouldn't find the answers I was looking for. So I am willing to start over and I understand that a lot of people have strong feelings about not breeding there dogs, but I really feel I have a great opportunity to try it. I would like to become a nationally known breeder but that would take a long time. And that is what I was saying about I won't know until I try it and yes I am looking to find out more about it before I do it. Sorry!!!!

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Rachel Casey said:
That is exactly what I was saying. I am sorry I called everyong asshole's but everybody was cutting on a guy for asking a question that you should respond to nicely. He wanted everyones advice. That was all I was saying. And I do know alot about my breed. I wouldn't have purchased AB's if I didn't know. And no I am not just going to go out and breed my dogs, that is exactly why I signed on to this forum, so I could learn more about the process. But when I saw everyone cutting that guy down, it made me think that you guys are not nice and I wouldn't find the answers I was looking for. So I am willing to start over and I understand that a lot of people have strong feelings about not breeding there dogs, but I really feel I have a great opportunity to try it. I would like to become a nationally known breeder but that would take a long time. And that is what I was saying about I won't know until I try it and yes I am looking to find out more about it before I do it. Sorry!!!!
Rachel, if you think we were "cutting him down" for asking a question than you didnt read the whole thread. HE started with the negativity. HE didnt like the advice that was given so HE was nasty to Lisa. Actually, I think Lisa was very civil in talking to him after he was a jerk. I wouldnt be,

· Registered
32 Posts
I did read the whole thing. I thought Lisa's Netiquette was rude. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't have said we are buying a dog to breed, but I understood what he meant. He wasn't just saying they were buying it to breed they were saying that they are buying it for the family and then going to breed it, but wanted more advice. And I thought Lisa's first response was rude. And then it seemed like everone else went off of that. You may no Lisa so she might have seemed fine to you, but for people who don't know her, it was very strong and rude.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
Rachel Casey said:
I would suggest that you find a mentor, someone who will allow you to watch a bitch's pregnancy and whelping firsthand, someone who will break down all the costs and risks for you. If you don't know much about breeding now, I'd say that you won't be ready to breed your dogs for several more years. It will take you at least that long to develop a keen understanding for the entire process.

· Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Bella_Blue. That is the kind of advice I was looking for. I don't plan on breeding for a while yet. My AB's are still young. Plus, I want to get all the proper health procedures done before doing so. But I just wanted to start learning more about it now.

· Registered
32 Posts
I also have given alot of thought to getting in contact with the breeder that I got my male dog from. My female dog was bred by the type of guy everyone is talking about. So, I know first hand about the crap that breeders do, that is why I want to learn more first.

· Registered
1,522 Posts
bella_blue said:
I would suggest that you find a mentor, someone who will allow you to watch a bitch's pregnancy and whelping firsthand, someone who will break down all the costs and risks for you. If you don't know much about breeding now, I'd say that you won't be ready to breed your dogs for several more years. It will take you at least that long to develop a keen understanding for the entire process.
Good advice Bella.

· Registered
583 Posts
I don't have a problem with breeding dogs...I am a breeder myself, but I do have a problem with irresponsible breeding. In my last post I mentioned a mentor. A mentor can really make all the difference in the world if they are reputable, experienced and willing to help and share thier knowledge. I enjoy being a mentor and am always willing to share advice, knowledge, experiences, etc as my mentor did with me. I have no problems answering people's questions, etc. as long as they are willing to learn and have thier heart in the right place. I feel that if a person has done proper research, there are certain things and questions that have no place being asked on a message board. (many breeding posts on forums are scary... my male is 6 months old and so sweet..does anyone want to breed thier female to him?.. my dog has no papers but is just so sweet tempered...I want to breed him once for a puppy to keep..how do I go about that?, etc......) That is why so many of us become upset with posts. If people are asking honest, legitimate breeding questions, they are not "jumped" on or shown any attitude. Most of us here only have "attitude" if it is given to us first.

American Bulldogs are not a breed for the average family.. they are a very dominant breed, have dog and animal aggression tendencies, are very active, strong physically and mentally, etc.... I am VERY careful who I place my dogs with..definitely no first time dog owners, and no first time large breed dog owners... this breed does not make a good "starter" breed. In this day and age of BSL and all the "pitbull" hype, we need to be very careful what we breed, who they are sold to, etc. This breed is a WORKING breed... breeding them solely for a pet market is what is causing the problems.... breeding for a sound mind, structure, temperament and working ability should come first. Pet pups will be born in every litter, so breeding pets to create pets should not be anyone's goal.

As far as no AB's in your area.... I would be willing to bet there are alot more than you are aware of. Maybe there were no "big" breeders in your area, but I'm sure there are plenty of BYB's. Look at petfinder, abrescue, online classifieds, puppyfind, etc..there are thousands of AB's these days. Prices are going to vary, but $1000.00 is the average price for an AB. Reputable breeders though, will have varying prices depending on what type of home the pup is going to... I will use myself as an example... I ask $1000.00 for show/working prospect pups...these pups have a two year genetic health guarantee and full registration and rights. I ask $600.00 for pet quality pups on a spay/neuter contract with limited registration. I also have placed many pups for free to working/show homes on a co-ownership type basis.... I know many other breeders with similar prices and terms. $1000.00 may seem like alot to you, but if you truly want to get a quality AB, you may want to save up.... Granted, big money does not always equal quality, but if you do your research and find a truly reputable breeder, it is a wise investment as the reputable breeders will stand behind thier dogs and take care of you as well.... a cheap BYB dog is generally not the better deal as many require lots of $$$$ for medical and temperamental issues.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your AB's from? What bloodlines are they from? How old are they currently? Are they registered, and with whom? I am not trying to be rude or anything, just curious about your AB's and might be able to offer some insight if I knew a bit more about them......

· Registered
95 Posts
I hate to jump into threads like this and cause any more bickering. But for the reason so many people here don't encourage breeding unless you are experienced is because, I got my dog from a couple with good intentions and had good tempered dogs. They bought two good quality dogs, but did they care to do any background checks to see what temperaments laid in the background? No, not really.. In result, I ended up having a puppy who was very skittish and fearful. Can I take him in public? Surely not. Not now that he's almost 80lbs (at 8 months) and because his temperament is so unstable. It's just my experience and why you need to have a mentor to follow before you just buy two dogs and think they will make good puppies just because they have good temperaments. This shows that its not the case.

I completely agree with Lisa in the debate and you should want to learn something from her. Take her for her word. It could be worth gold to you some day.

· Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the information. But what I still don't understand is why everyone thinks that AB's are not good family pets, because from my two I believe they are great family pets. And There temperments are not too strong for a family. I personally would feel more secure with my AB's to be around when I have children then a Labrador. I also see that everyone is all about this working dog stuff. Well, I personally find that cruel. I am an animal lover and my dream job is to work in a vet office or even better yet a humane society. My husband has wanted to use our male for show, but I was the one to back off on that, because I just feel it is wrong. I think it is great for those who can do it, but I just don't like that. But I am willing to learn more and listen to everyones opinions as long as know one cuts another person down. I don't know if everyone was being rude or just saying, but the way it came out to me was rude. Like I said in an earlier post I am willing to forget about it and move on.
But to answer your questions I have two AB's 1 male and 1 female. My male is a Johnson type and I got him from a breeder here in the area. My female is........ I thought Bully, but everyone corrected me and there is no bully type. I wish I could remember the website I went on to that told me three different types of AB's. Well, she is bigger chested than my male and her legs are more Bulldog looking. She is a little shorter but stockier. Yes, both of my dogs are registered. Bandit(male) is registered with Dog Registry of America, Inc. And Sable(female) is registered with NKC. I did get pedigrees with both my dogs. Bandits doesn't seem to be very long, but that might be because I didn't order the whole thing. Sable's is very long, but as I said before I probably won't breed her, because we got her from one of those Jacka-- breeders that everyone is talking about. My husband didn't want to take her, and he wanted to go through a big breeder, but I couldn't help myself when I saw her. And I am so glad I did, because I am sure all the other puppies didn't live very long. She had every possible health issue you can imagine. So, I am so happy that if anything good came out of her, it was that I saved her life. Was there anymore questions that I did not answer for you?

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.