Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first time, i'm Hils, i need some advice please. Heidi is 7mths old my first staffie, what an excellent breed i'm over the moon with her. Two days ago I took on a friends 9 week old male staffie (Diezel) story is to long to explain, as recomended i bought him his own bed and toys, Heidi takes all his and her toys, he's a feisty little man and tugs them back. what concerns me is the growling, mainly from him, and the nipping from both. Heidi is obviously jelouse and i wonder if i should eliminate the toys? also should i let them continue to growl and nip or stop it, i'm worried that they might become aggresive towards each other to the point of doing an injury. Strangely, Heidi is quite happy for Diezel to sleep in her cage, whilst she lays down anywhere she pleases. I would be grateful for some sound advice as to what i should be doing in the best interest of the dogs.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Eliminate, don't think dogs know how to share. I gradually took all the toys away, now they fight over twigs. My two are very vocal, but there is no signs of agression. I have to break them up when they get too loud, never let the play fighting get too far, step in when it gets to much so they no you are the boss.

Here's my two, mouthing and very vocal/whiney with it :lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm a newbie myself. I have read other posts about this same problem and the suggestions pretty much have all been a thing called "crate and rotate". This is where you put one dog up while you play with the other one for a couple of hours adn then rotate them. It's not fun having the dogs fighting and it does seem that your first dog is very jealous. I hope this helps.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
gatorgrldej8 said:
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm a newbie myself. I have read other posts about this same problem and the suggestions pretty much have all been a thing called "crate and rotate". This is where you put one dog up while you play with the other one for a couple of hours adn then rotate them. It's not fun having the dogs fighting and it does seem that your first dog is very jealous. I hope this helps.
I dont think crate and rotate is quite needed here. If the owner can control their play fight. Crating them while you are out is a must, they could fight over anything and it will lead to trouble. But they sound like my two. Two young dog establishing their order.

I do give my dogs seperate training and the occasional walk with just one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roxy/gatorgrldej8

Thanks for the advice from both of you i don't feel so alone now. One other thing should i let the get on with growling and nipping or should i part them?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Re: Roxy/gatorgrldej8

Hills999 said:
Thanks for the advice from both of you i don't feel so alone now. One other thing should i let the get on with growling and nipping or should i part them?
I part my two, only cos Roxy as the elder should step in, but she's very hyper and enjoys a good play. But just watch them, don't let it get two far. I step in and shout 'leave' let them know they can only play when you say.

Also get a empty little water bottle put some stones in it and if they don't listen, then shake the bottle near their face then say 'leave' this should help distract them for you to get your command in.

My trainer told me by the age of 6 mths the pup should have grown out of this play fight. With us stepping in.

Hope that makes sense tis late here in the Uk ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roxy

Soon as i can get some photos on the site i will, you will be amazed how much my two look like yours, cheers hilary

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Re: Roxy

Hills999 said:
Soon as i can get some photos on the site i will, you will be amazed how much my two look like yours, cheers hilary
Be cool to see them. Stick with us, my two are always throwing problems at me, I feel I learned something new everyday with my two :love5:

yeovil red said:
You need to remember that Staffie play is generally noisey and fairly rough. My two make a proper racket.
The noise is what makes you step in to shut them up, my two whine or growl and bark very hi pitch :shock:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Reading back over this post, your girl is 7 mths and pup 8 weeks, I bet it is mayhem in your house! Be sure to post some pics soon :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
With Maia and her sister, who lives next door, I generally tend to let them get on with play-fighting, or minor squabbling, until someone yelps- then it's time to step in and tell them both off, because someone has bitten too hard, and trouble is just around the corner! I would take the toys away, though- too much potential for conflict.
I have to admit, it's amazing the amount of noise two young staffies can make- never heard dogs make noises like that before!
Welcome and good luck to you (two staff pups at the same time is a lot to take on) - may your furniture remain reasonable intact (as well as your sanity!) :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 x Staffies

Thanks for the advice the bottle worked a treat i've only had to use it a couple of times. Both Heidi and Dezil seemed to have settled down nicely, and are getting on great. I'll post a pic as soon as i can, they might be a hand full but i wouldn't change a thing. :D

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Re: 2 x Staffies

Hills999 said:
Thanks for the advice the bottle worked a treat i've only had to use it a couple of times. Both Heidi and Dezil seemed to have settled down nicely, and are getting on great. I'll post a pic as soon as i can, they might be a hand full but i wouldn't change a thing. :D
Glad to hear all is working out :D cant wait too see the photos!

·
Banned
908 Posts
Re: 2 x Staffies

Roxy said:
Hills999 said:
Glad to hear all is working out :D cant wait too see the photos!
me to and wecome to the forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts