Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched over about two months ago.

I have to tell you that I have always had problems with my male, Chucky. He gets pink stains (markings) around his paws and tear stains. This used to be heavy.

I was feeding EVO, which was FANTASTIC for my female, but not so good for my boy.

The stuff is make in Canada.

Good results so far.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I fed the First Mate Performance blend for a while. Seems like a good company. I was looking at the Fish and Potato ingredients and specs on the website, seems the fat levels are quite low on it, only 10%. Have you read any articles on the importance of fat in a working dogs diet? I found it pretty interesting. Only problem is my dogs (especially Rosco) have trouble digesting high fat foods. Gives him the runs. If you are interested, I can see if I can dig up those articles about fat and the working dog.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is why my adult dogs get puppy fish and potato

Their shits are great! Only thing is that it has beet pulp and this makes them defacate more, I think.
With EVO, they hardly went at all!

However, I think fiber must be good for them. If it is good for us, why not the dog?

Anyways, the fat is all fish fat and it has a whopping 3900kcal/cup. So, I feed a lot less than before.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
PeterC said:
Yes, that is why my adult dogs get puppy fish and potato

Their shits are great! Only thing is that it has beet pulp and this makes them defacate more, I think.
With EVO, they hardly went at all!

However, I think fiber must be good for them. If it is good for us, why not the dog?

Anyways, the fat is all fish fat and it has a whopping 3900kcal/cup. So, I feed a lot less than before.
You are a smart man, Peter!! Puppy formula 18% fat!! Good thinking!!

As far as fibre I don't really think dogs need it. I think in small amounts it won't harm or hinder a dog but at the same time I don't think their bodies actually require it in order to thrive. I believe pet food companies use grains because it is cheap. Our systems vary greatly from our canine companions. I do feed kibble containing grains but its not because I think they need it. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
luna had the same thing with her paws - super infected, almost raw because of a food allergy (i think it took a few vets in the vancouver area to diagnose that one...) but she does quite well on first mate and wellness both - the fish and potato formula.

glad you found it - you always feel so bad when they look like they're hurting!

is your boy "allergic" in general? i find luna is really really sensitive (just had a mystery break-out of hives this weekend - she looked like shrek!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts