Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new vet I'm taking Bella and Remy to doesn't advocate flea prevention for every dog. He said it's better to check your dog for fleas every week - or as often as you'd like - and treat them only if you see "flea dirt" (flea poop...dried blood basically) because if you're just noticing the flea dirt, treatment is really simple. He doesn't like exposing dogs to insecticides unless necessary. He only really recommends regular doses of flea prevention for dogs that spend a lot of time outside, have frequent interaction with strange dogs (boarding facilities, dog parks, doggy day care, etc.), live in neighborhoods with cats that roam, etc. What does everyone think about this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
I understand where he's coming from, but Haus is allergic to flea bites. He and Justice are both on flea prevention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
I feel the same way. I don't use flea prevention. My dogs don't have fleas, actually they've never had them. If I saw signs that they had them, then I'd use something to get rid of them. The way I see it, is I pump them full of so much stuff to begin with (Vaccines, heartworm preventive, etc...) Why add anything else that may be unneccessary?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regarding Tahsa's comments:

Yeah, that was one of the conditions he mentioned. I described our neighborhood and the amount of interaction with other dogs that Bella and Remy get, and he said it's entirely up to us whether we want to do flea prevention or not. I think we're just going to start checking them weekly or bi-weekly for fleas rather than putting any topical insecticides on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kasco said:
I feel the same way. I don't use flea prevention. My dogs don't have fleas, actually they've never had them. If I saw signs that they had them, then I'd use something to get rid of them. The way I see it, is I pump them full of so much stuff to begin with (Vaccines, heartworm preventive, etc...) Why add anything else that may be unneccessary?
Exactly. And that is exactly my vet's concern as well. He is definitely not in favor of unnecessarily pumping dogs full of chemicals (and even antibiotics, which I love about him!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
I know where he is soming from. When I lived at my old house I never used flea treatment...they never had fleas! Now that I have moved to a new neighborhood...they have gotten fleas. I do have them on treatment now but it is not always necisary ( i know thats way off but hey...you get the point) The neighborhood I live in has a huge stray cat problem...I wonder if that may be why???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Well I live in rural PA in the woods. Our region on the east coast is the Lyme Belt so I'm thinking better living through chemistry so they're on monthly Advantix for ticks (and fleas). In addition our winters are not cold enough to kill mosquitoes, so they're on monthly heartworm prevantative too.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,911 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Regarding Tahsa's comments:

Yeah, that was one of the conditions he mentioned. I described our neighborhood and the amount of interaction with other dogs that Bella and Remy get, and he said it's entirely up to us whether we want to do flea prevention or not. I think we're just going to start checking them weekly or bi-weekly for fleas rather than putting any topical insecticides on them.
Any word on him accepting new patients? H and J need to go to the vet for rabies shots and checkups. It's going to cost $40 a dog to bring them in plus all the vaccines and stuff :( I'm guessing around $220 for the checkup on both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HausMommy said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Regarding Tahsa's comments:

Yeah, that was one of the conditions he mentioned. I described our neighborhood and the amount of interaction with other dogs that Bella and Remy get, and he said it's entirely up to us whether we want to do flea prevention or not. I think we're just going to start checking them weekly or bi-weekly for fleas rather than putting any topical insecticides on them.
Any word on him accepting new patients? H and J need to go to the vet for rabies shots and checkups. It's going to cost $40 a dog to bring them in plus all the vaccines and stuff :( I'm guessing around $220 for the checkup on both.
I haven't gotten word. He sends out monthly (or maybe quarterly) newsletters to all his patients, and new patient info will be in there. I will let you know as soon as I hear, though! I just took Bella for her rabies shots and yearly check up. It was only $143 for a 3-year rabies vaccine, distemper booster, fecal test, heartworm test, and 12 months of heartworm prevention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Our vet encouraged me not to use flea treatment either. I tried it for a while, but then ended up using Frontline because we take our dogs to a really wooded area at family's once a month and I didn't want to risk it.

If you are in a low risk area, it is probably best not to subject the dogs to the chemicals. Although, I am a firm believer in it being the TOTAL amount of toxins you subject a dog (or person to) that matters most, not just the single item.

Some good alternatives are giving the dogs brewer's yeast. Some people think garlic works, but I have read some studies that say the amount neccessary to be effective is pretty high. Either way, both products are to boost the immune system since fleas are drawn to "weak blood." Dogs with a robust immune system are less of a target.

Other steps would be to use FleabustersRX on your carpets and to put nematodes in your yard. If I could only recommend one thing, it would be the nematodes. Very simple, very cheap, very effective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
Flea prevention for me is a must. I live in a very wooded area, and I have tons of wild animals at all hours of the day.. Not to mention the strays. :roll: Both Ben and Maddie do great on Frontline, and I've hardly ever seen a flea. Recently I did see one on Ben's belly while we were laying around. *Groan*... Flea prevention is a must in some areas, rather you treat your yard and everything else... What is a nemotode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Nematodes (tiny worms) are spread in areas of the yard which are warm and moist and which pets and fleas frequent. The nematodes feed on the flea larvae. They also eat other bad critters. You can get them at any local garden center or order them online if you will. They cost about $20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
It depends on your area, if you live in a city with very little grassy areas then there's no need.
If you live in the country, then it's a must. If you live in between (like me LOL), it's up to you.
I always check my dogs to make sure, but my late pit wasn't on anything because she was old.
My pom right now is on Advantix, only because I take her to the park.
My vet recommends for me to only have it on her for 2-3 months per year (summer).

Some places are infested to the point that they need it on all year, that stinks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top