Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
I use K9 Advantix. I had previously used Frontline, but it only seemed to last for about 2 weeks (instead of 1 month). I also like K9 Advantix because it repels mosquitos (and in the hot, humid South...we have a lot!). On my previous AB, we had better success with Frontline...you'll have to find what works best for you. Both of those meds can be bought without a precription...I know PetCo and PetSmart/Banfield sell them. My vet reccomends K9 Advantix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mom to many said:
I use K9 Advantix. I had previously used Frontline, but it only seemed to last for about 2 weeks (instead of 1 month). I also like K9 Advantix because it repels mosquitos (and in the hot, humid South...we have a lot!). On my previous AB, we had better success with Frontline...you'll have to find what works best for you. Both of those meds can be bought without a precription...I know PetCo and PetSmart/Banfield sell them. My vet reccomends K9 Advantix.
i just love that commercial with the little doggies at camp :lol: i forgot about that until now....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
snarky said:
mom to many said:
I use K9 Advantix. I had previously used Frontline, but it only seemed to last for about 2 weeks (instead of 1 month). I also like K9 Advantix because it repels mosquitos (and in the hot, humid South...we have a lot!). On my previous AB, we had better success with Frontline...you'll have to find what works best for you. Both of those meds can be bought without a precription...I know PetCo and PetSmart/Banfield sell them. My vet reccomends K9 Advantix.
i just love that commercial with the little doggies at camp :lol: i forgot about that until now....
As long as you don't have a cat in the house - Advantix is really good stuff.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
I have a cat...my vet (and the directions) said that as long as ROcket is kept outside until the Advantix is dry, then it'll be fine. We've been using it for about 3 months with no problems!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
mom to many said:
I use K9 Advantix. I had previously used Frontline, but it only seemed to last for about 2 weeks (instead of 1 month). I also like K9 Advantix because it repels mosquitos (and in the hot, humid South...we have a lot!). On my previous AB, we had better success with Frontline...you'll have to find what works best for you. Both of those meds can be bought without a precription...I know PetCo and PetSmart/Banfield sell them. My vet reccomends K9 Advantix.
Ditto I had the same problem with Frontline now I rotate Frontline and Advantix...and no problems..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
mom to many said:
I have a cat...my vet (and the directions) said that as long as ROcket is kept outside until the Advantix is dry, then it'll be fine. We've been using it for about 3 months with no problems!
Really? Cool! I was always told (not by the vet - never used Advantix although now I will) that you could not have a cat in the house at all, with a dog who had the Advanitx on.

Thanks for the info! My future dogs thank you :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
mom to many said:
I have a cat...my vet (and the directions) said that as long as ROcket is kept outside until the Advantix is dry, then it'll be fine. We've been using it for about 3 months with no problems!
Really? Cool! I was always told (not by the vet - never used Advantix although now I will) that you could not have a cat in the house at all, with a dog who had the Advanitx on.

Thanks for the info! My future dogs thank you :lol:
yep...we just make sure ROcket is completely dry (where we put the Advantix) before he comes in, so he won't rub it on the furniture, rugs, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tinkerbell said:
mom to many said:
I have a cat...my vet (and the directions) said that as long as ROcket is kept outside until the Advantix is dry, then it'll be fine. We've been using it for about 3 months with no problems!
Really? Cool! I was always told (not by the vet - never used Advantix although now I will) that you could not have a cat in the house at all, with a dog who had the Advanitx on.

Thanks for the info! My future dogs thank you :lol:
hmmmmmmm,,,,, what happens to the cat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
I use revolution...it prevents fleas, ticks, ear mites, mosquitos, and hartworm!

I use this cause its the same price for heartworm and flea in one...as it would be for just one medicatication.

Its about 40 for revolution...or you could pay 40 for heart worm and then 40 for flea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
snarky said:
hmmmmmmm,,,,, what happens to the cat?
The way I hear it, the Advantix is extreamly toxic to cats -

From the k9 Advantix website (http://www.k9advantix.com/) :
"For use on dogs only"

Due to their unique physiology and inability to metabolize certain compounds, this product must not be used on cats. If applied to a cat, or ingested by a cat, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Lots of info about the product on the website. Although I was not able to find (at a glance) info about using it on a dog who lives with a cat - just that it is NOT to be used on cats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
I use Advantix on my pom, I liked it because:

Repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitos
Kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitos (so I don't have to use heartguard which I DO NOT trust)
Smaller weight ranges, so you get the most accurate doses.

For example frontline's smallest dose is "Up to 22 pounds".
How can that be good for a 6 pound dog?

So now I use Advantix 1-10 pounds on her and it's been great.

It also works on any ants that crawl on her, I find them dead on her (which is great for any red ants).

My vet recommends Advantix for dogs and I believe Advantage for cats.

The thing about Advantix with cats is that they are afraid the cat will lick your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
We use Frontline too. However, there are some other viable solutions. Nematodes in the yard are a great solution and prevent much more than just fleas. Too cheap not to do it. Also, for the house, we sprinkle FleabusterRX into the carpets of all the rooms (and auto) for added protection. It lasts about a year. Finally, Brewer's Yeast is a good supplement to give the dog that helps prevent fleas. It happens to be in the supplements we use, so added bonus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I wanted to try Revolution , but the Vet didn't like it for some reason . My wife took the pup in for his shots , but I will go to the next appt and ask specifically why . I have been thinking that was a all in one product that would be cheaper in the long run .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
snarky said:
HAHAHAHA!!

my cat lick my dog..... now i know i'm living in the Twilight Zone!!! :wink:

thanks everyone!
Some cats like dogs.. most dogs like cats

On Toast

:p
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top