Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-flirt pole "tiring out."

Then, I put two of them inside and do the pole one at a time, so they get their one-on-one. Mosley,
first, of course:

Then Montana Jo:

Messiah would let go of the toy every time I'd put the camera up to take a shot. So, I just got
some of him after we were done. He got pretty tired. He jumps up and down the terraces the whole
time chasing the toy:

I usually bring them all three out at the end and let them all go after it. After they're tired, it's a lot easier
for me to keep it away from all three of them at once. If I do it before, it's virtually impossible to keep one or
more of them from catching it. And, when they all get it, it's hard to get all three to drop it at the same time.

Enjoy,

~S

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ambulldogpup said:
Nice pics. Whats a flirt pole though?
There is currently another thread on them. But, mine is a 8-10' piece of pvc (plastic) pipe with a hole drilled near one end and a toy attached to a rope, to the end of the pole. I throw it around, fly it through the air, drag/bounce it on the ground and the dogs love it. It's for play and gives them LOTS of exercise. I couldn't take pictures while moving the pole around, so I braced one end of the pole behind a post in the ground and held the other end with one hand, playing tug-of-war while I took pictures w/ the other hand.

~S

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Amo, your dogs are indeed stunning looking. You can really see the boxer in them, especially Mosley.

To answer the questions about the flirt pole. They were basically developed by pp/sport trainers. They are used to bring out the prey drive in young puppies and to teach them that they must hold on when they latch onto the rag. If they loosen their grip, an experinced trainer will try and get the rag from them and thus teach them they must hold on if they want to keep their prize. If they don't, they lose it. It basically teaches the pup the importance of a good grip which in sport work is very important. Good foundation starts early!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lisa said:
Amo, your dogs are indeed stunning looking. You can really see the boxer in them, especially Mosley.

To answer the questions about the flirt pole. They were basically developed by pp/sport trainers. They are used to bring out the prey drive in young puppies and to teach them that they must hold on when they latch onto the rag. If they loosen their grip, an experinced trainer will try and get the rag from them and thus teach them they must hold on if they want to keep their prize. If they don't, they lose it. It basically teaches the pup the importance of a good grip which in sport work is very important. Good foundation starts early!
Thank you! Yep, Mosley has the highest % Boxer in him. 50% AB (dam), 50% Boxer (sire).

Thanks for the explanation too. It's a great working/training/exercise tool. I have all the equipment to construct an actual spring pole. I just need an extension ladder or to be able to climb about 20 ft. up a big ole tree with no branches to use...just the trunk...

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I couldn't get Messiah to hold on to the rope/toy while I was trying to shoot a picture. So, I got Erica to play with him using an indoor toy/rope to get a couple "action" shots. Enjoy.

~Shawn

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Amocat00 said:
ambulldogpup said:
Nice pics. Whats a flirt pole though?
There is currently another thread on them. But, mine is a 8-10' piece of pvc (plastic) pipe with a hole drilled near one end and a toy attached to a rope, to the end of the pole. I throw it around, fly it through the air, drag/bounce it on the ground and the dogs love it. It's for play and gives them LOTS of exercise. I couldn't take pictures while moving the pole around, so I braced one end of the pole behind a post in the ground and held the other end with one hand, playing tug-of-war while I took pictures w/ the other hand.

~S
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I should make one, Abby would love it. It sounds similiar to lunging a horse on a line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.