Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

I'm new to this group, as well as a new bullie owner. I adopted India not too long ago, and she has one very strange habit that I just don't understand. When I take her out on a walk, she'll be truckin' along and then BAM she flops down on the grass and refuses to get up! I've had to physically pick her up off the ground and stand her on her feet...which is not an easy task. At first I thought that maybe she was just tired and wanted a break, but when I get her in the house she is full of energy. Has anyone encounter this problem, if so how did you deal with it?

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Well the first thing I would do, just for piece of mind, is to take her to the vet just to make sure she does not have any joint/leg/hip/foot problems that is keeping her from walking. After that I would start watching her on the walk for clues. If she is a very young pup, they do not usually like more than a 10 or 15 minute walk before they get tired and if she is an older one (4 months or more) check the sidewalk for heat and her collar or harness for being too tight. Also if it is hot where you are at, they DO NOT like the heat. It wears them out quickly. Just some thoughts, hope they help. :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Doe she do this when another dog is approaching?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the advice. i contacted the vet and she said to keep and eye on it, and also to bring along water. india doesn't seem to be in pain when she flops...it does mostly seem like stuborness! hopefully it's nothing but a funny little querk. :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
When it is really hot out and we take Kate for a long walk.... she will try lying down in every shaded spot after about 20 min of the walk. I attribute it to the heat. So I usually let her sit for a min and then say alright let's go. and usually she comes right away.

Good chance it is a heat thing since this summer has been very hot all over the country. Bring water and try shorter more frequent walks. And try early in the morning and after dusk walks

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My Magnum does the EXACT same thing and has done it ever since i got her almost 3 years ago. I would say she plops herself down maybe 10 times every walk!! Its annoying and makes our walks VERY LONG!! LOL - but there is nothing wrong with her. She does do it more when its hot - make sure you have water - but i think she just loves to rub herself on the grass and bask in the sun!! :D

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Abby did that when she was a puppy. It bugged me so much! She outgrew it after a little while though. I think the heat and all the excitement, they just need a minute to take it all in.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Zoe does that too. She would sit and try to wiggle out of her collar. Now she just lays down where ever she is and refuses to move. It happens in all weather, so for her it is not the heat. Basically, I think she is just being stubborn. She does the same thing at agility classes. She does not like to jump thru the tire, so she just lays down and refuses to move.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a female AmStaff that seems to HATE walks. If it's for anything other than going to the truck - she wants nothing to do with it. She is in good shape - runs around the yard like a mad dog - but put the leash on and go for a walk and to look at us you'd think she was being beaten. She tucks her tail. She walks behind like she's sulking (not to anthropomorphise her behavior) and eventually she simply stops walking, lays down and refuses to go another step - -unless we turn around to go home. I got her as an adult and can only think something happend in her earlier life to make her HATE walks. It really boggles my mind. A dog that doesn't like to go for walks?

·
Registered
886 Posts
absent said:
and eventually she simply stops walking, lays down and refuses to go another step - -unless we turn around to go home.
Zoe does the same thing!! She will lay down and stay there unless you turn around and head home. We have had her since she was 9 weeks, so I am pretty sure nothing bad happened to her while she was on a walk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts