Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6mo. old male pitbull, Tugg, who is becoming very aggressive towards our 8wk old female mutt and our cat when it comes to food and bones. If either of them get within 3 ft of him, he lunges towards them and has actually gotten a hold of the puppy once. So far, no damage done, but I'm wondering how we can go about keeping this to a minimum. They are never left together unsupervised, and food and bones are never left lying out. I realized animal aggression is to be expected with this breed, but he doesn't even growl a warning first to let the other animals get out of the way! He's so young, I'm hoping there's some way we can prevent this from getting any worse and maybe even a little better! The cat and younger puppy stand no chance if he gets a good hold on them.

Thank you all in advance for your help! :)

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson does the same thing with our cats and he did it with our sheepdog.
If i feed him and the cats get too close to his bowl, he lunges at them growling...he has never gotten
them though. He did it with chew bones with our sheepie, she couldn't even smell them without him
going after her (never bit her either).

whenever he does that i just take that item away from him and he
loses his privlege with that item (food or toy). That way they start to understand that is not theirs to guard but yours.
Unfortunatly, orson hasn't learned this yet. It's not a problem, my sheepie passed away and i just make sure the cats
are a good distance away when he eats. He is not aggressive with humans with food or toys, so i'm not worried.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I dont think its anything to do with his breed, loads of dogs are possesive of bones and treats.Best thing to do would be just make sure they are seperated if they have them .Its not a problem then,personally i cant see the point in tempting fate.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I agree, it would be best to feed them seperatly. The puppy will probably develop some temperment problems too I would imagine if this isn't taken care of. She will probably get defensive and really stressed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree to feed them seperate for now at least. I have read that it is inevitable that at some point 2 or more dogs living together will find a need to establish a pack order....but hopefully they can go about it in a peaceful way. Once they establish a pack order this probablly won't be a problem, just make sure YOU are alpha!! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
heartrn said:
I have a 6mo. old male pitbull, Tugg, who is becoming very aggressive towards our 8wk old female mutt and our cat when it comes to food and bones. If either of them get within 3 ft of him, he lunges towards them and has actually gotten a hold of the puppy once. So far, no damage done, but I'm wondering how we can go about keeping this to a minimum. They are never left together unsupervised, and food and bones are never left lying out. I realized animal aggression is to be expected with this breed, but he doesn't even growl a warning first to let the other animals get out of the way! He's so young, I'm hoping there's some way we can prevent this from getting any worse and maybe even a little better! The cat and younger puppy stand no chance if he gets a good hold on them.

Thank you all in advance for your help! :)
What do you do when the dog lunges/bites the other pets?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for your replies! As far as discipline goes, we've been giving a very stern "NO!" to him and taking the bone away. It's just hard right now to not have chewys around because we have two teething puppies in the household. I understand that the dogs needs to learn not to take each other's bones, etc, but I just wish there was some way we could teach Tugg to growl a warning before resorting to the "lunge and devour".

·
Registered
136 Posts
When we got Storm not knowing her background I chained both dogs sperately and fed them in pack order. Our golden retriever always gets fed first he sits, gets his bowl then I move to Storm she sits and she gets her bowl.

Now, we don't need to chain them we just place their bowls 2 metres away from each other and follow pack rules still though. They can even go to each others bowls when they finish and lick them clean (not that there's ever anything left to lick :p ).
Giving the dogs a time limit helps, they need to learn here's your food no playing about eat it straight up or the bowl will be removed.

Treats I stick to small things that can be eaten/ chewed within a couple of miutes. Once they each had a large bone chew that ended up in a bit of a scrap so now I just cut one of those in half and know that there won't be leftovers for the dogs to carry on about. I also make my dogs work for a treat NILF (nothing in life is free). My goldy has a whole trick routine he automatically does for a treat so I just change the request and have started new stuff. Even Storm is learning to do circles.

Can you lock your pitty up in a seperate room when handing out bones? Like yeovil red said any breed can be possesive of treats.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Had a strange experience with Orson tonite. Put his full food bowl down and he wasnt interested at first...
till he saw the kitten in his bowl eating. So he ran to his bowl, thought he was gonna bite her, but instead just ran over
to his bowl to start eating. The kitten stayed there with her front paws on his bowl and her face right
next to Orson's. He just kept on eating, didn't growl or anything at kitten.
I guess there is a first for everything. Now we'll see if that happens again or not!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know some people might think this is mean but we use a squirt bottle and when one of our dogs growls at our kitty they get a squirt in the face and a "no growls!" command.
It took a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time but Sasha finally has mostly :roll: learned to leave the kitty alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts