Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new puppy inhales his food. I saw these bowls at the pet store that have extrusions in the middle so the dog has to eat around it. Do they work well? I added a large candle in a glass jar in his bowl. It does slow him down a bit, but after awhile it begins to move to one side of his bowl. Is there any prevention methods I could try? I think he does this because he does not realize food is readily available at my house yet. He may still have his fighting for food instinct intact from the litter, and the people I rescued him from did not feed him properly. When I got him he had bad tape worms and exposed hip bones. I have had him since Friday. What do you guys / gals think?

· Legend
5,257 Posts
The bowls will work. So does a decent size rock in his bowl. If not, then spend the time hand feeding. There are many advantages to doing so. You will need to ensure you have the worm problem taken care of.

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bowls will work. So does a decent size rock in his bowl. If not, then spend the time hand feeding. There are many advantages to doing so. You will need to ensure you have the worm problem taken care of.
I have taken him to the vet and closely monitoring him the hard way lol. His stool looks 100% better. The candle is working ok.. Ill try to find a rock and see as well. Thanks!

· Registered
1,073 Posts
They work. What also works is spreading the food out on a cookie sheet. Hand feeding (like Drako said) works wonders on MANY levels.

My dog inhales his food too. He was never starved or anything, and 2 years later..he should know that food is available. He just eats that way. I don't mind it and there haven't been any adverse effects.

· Registered
1,608 Posts
These guys got it all covered. Bowser has always inhaled his food. He slowed down a bit as he aged. We added water to the food. It made him have to chew in order not to drown or choke on soggy food. The slow down is quite substantial: Without water = 2 cups of food gone in under a minute. With water = 2 cups took over 2 minutes to eat.

The rock and cookie sheet work well too :)

· Registered
243 Posts
Buttercup gobbles her food up pretty fast too but she's nothing compared to our old rott/shepherd mix, Reese. That dog was crazy about her food. One day I put a new 30lb bag of food on the kitchen table because I was in a hurry and didn't think I had time to open it and dump it into the bin. When I came home from work Reese was so fat that she could hardly walk. I remember just staring at her for a second thinking "what the hell", then I saw the bag of dog food ripped open on the floor. She had eaten a little over half of it. It's kind of funny now but at the time it was very scary. The poor dog couldn't even sit down. Then she started throwing up and pooping everywhere but I was too scared to let her outside. We were lucky that it turned out ok.

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Leah00;893979She had eaten a little over half of it. It's kind of funny now but at the time it was very scary. The poor dog couldn't even sit down. Then she started throwing up and pooping everywhere but I was too scared to let her outside. We were lucky that it turned out ok.[/QUOTE said:
Holy crap! Yeah that's scary but I'll be damned if I'm not laughing.

· Registered
14 Posts
A tennis ball also works, unless they are obsessed with them as toys. I used a tennis ball in Cody's bowl for awhile and then realized he just ate fast and there was nothing I could do. Sometimes I honestly thought he would choke, he'd have to sit down and stretch his neck out to get the food down then he'd gulp down more!

· Registered
266 Posts
There are some really good ideas on here. I had great success with the rock and completely separating my chocolate lab from the other dogs. I also put the food up off of the floor, pretty much level with her body just to ensure that the food didn't get stopped up. She used to choke and gag until I did all of the above.

· Legend
5,257 Posts
I recommend scattering the food in the yard, or around the garage or utility room. This will slow the dog down, and stimulate him as well. Dogs like to work for their food.

David Winners
That's certainly a fresh take on an old thread David. I don't think I've heard of that before. Interesting, practical and easy. Best of all, it's not a gimmick. Thanks!

· Registered
31 Posts
We take Patch to Junior training at RSPCA and the trainer advise to hand-feed the puppies from day 1 of training to encourage them. Her theory is that they have to work for their food and really works! Patch used to inhale his food as well... now he is much calmer, his digestion is better and has learnt to sit, drop, shake a paw and roll over :) It may be time consuming but I absolutely recommend hand-feeding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.