Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admin,

I see that there is an option in phpBB to limit the dimensions of an avatar. Do you think we can limit the dimensions to maybe 150 x 150 px? Some peoples avatars are HUGE and makes reading threads difficult at times.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
:?: When I was trying to load my avatar, it kept telling me that the limit was 150x150. Took me forever to get it that small (especially since I don't have any real photo editing software!).

Hmmm......

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
augrad said:
:?: When I was trying to load my avatar, it kept telling me that the limit was 150x150. Took me forever to get it that small (especially since I don't have any real photo editing software!).

Hmmm......
Thats odd because people have avatars larger than that. And my avatar was actually larger than 150 x 150 at first and it let me use it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Is there a way to limit banner size as well? Some people are uploading full size photos for their banners, and it makes it hard to read the posts.

·
Registered
928 Posts
kogeki said:
Admin,

I see that there is an option in phpBB to limit the dimensions of an avatar. Do you think we can limit the dimensions to maybe 150 x 150 px? Some peoples avatars are HUGE and makes reading threads difficult at times.

Thanks

The avatar size is already set to a 150x150 maximum. Does someone have an avatar that is larger than this? If so, they are linking to an externally posted image, in which it's harder to police this. I might be able to change the PhpBB source code so that scrollbars will appear if images are larger than 150x150, but that's the best we can do.

Similar situation with signature banners...What I'd like to do is modify the PhpBB source code to allow users to specify whether or not they want to see images in the signature area. That way, you can choose turn off the signature banners if you are a dialup user, or if you just don't like the banners cluttering the reading space. That would be the ideal -- I don't know if/when I can get around to doing that since it would take some time. I'm adding it to my "forum to-do list" right now...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
root said:
kogeki said:
Admin,

Thanks

The avatar size is already set to a 150x150 maximum. Does someone have an avatar that is larger than this? If so, they are linking to an externally posted image, in which it's harder to police this. I might be able to change the PhpBB source code so that scrollbars will appear if images are larger than 150x150, but that's the best we can do.

Similar situation with signature banners...What I'd like to do is modify the PhpBB source code to allow users to specify whether or not they want to see images in the signature area. That way, you can choose turn off the signature banners if you are a dialup user, or if you just don't like the banners cluttering the reading space. That would be the ideal -- I don't know if/when I can get around to doing that since it would take some time. I'm adding it to my "forum to-do list" right now...
There were a few avatars that are pretty large but I forget who they are. One took up almost my whole screen and I'm at a high res. I guess that explains why i could use an avatar larger than 150 x 150. (external link) Duh.

I think we can live with the signitures :D They arent a big deal. Its just really the avatars that can be a pain and I think if someone has a large avatar, theyll change them if we ask. I didnt realize you already set the limit.

Thanks admin!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I was able to fix it so that avatars exceeding 150x150 will be displayed inside of a scroll box that is 150x150, so the layout of the posts should not be messed up. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Kogeki!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
root said:
I was able to fix it so that avatars exceeding 150x150 will be displayed inside of a scroll box that is 150x150, so the layout of the posts should not be messed up. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Kogeki!
You rock! Thanks. On a geek note, what languages do you code in? My girlfriend and I are microsoft dorks. .NET.

·
Registered
928 Posts
kogeki said:
You rock! Thanks. On a geek note, what languages do you code in? My girlfriend and I are microsoft dorks. .NET.
Alright! Another coder! I haven't messed with any .NET stuff yet. You know how it is -- there's an infinite amount to learn so you just bite off what you can chew. I work primarily on the opposite end of the spectrum -- primarily open source stuff. Anything that runs on Linux. Java pays the bills right now, but I'm transitioning a lot of my work to Ruby. I don't know if you've heard of Rails (Ruby on Rails), but it truly is as good as the hype for developing web applications. And I also dabble with PHP and Perl.

That's great that you AND your girlfriend program. What sort of stuff do you work on? Enterprise projects? Smaller stuff?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
root said:
kogeki said:
Alright! Another coder! I haven't messed with any .NET stuff yet. You know how it is -- there's an infinite amount to learn so you just bite off what you can chew. I work primarily on the opposite end of the spectrum -- primarily open source stuff. Anything that runs on Linux. Java pays the bills right now, but I'm transitioning a lot of my work to Ruby. I don't know if you've heard of Rails (Ruby on Rails), but it truly is as good as the hype for developing web applications. And I also dabble with PHP and Perl.

That's great that you AND your girlfriend program. What sort of stuff do you work on? Enterprise projects? Smaller stuff?
I knew you were an open source guy. PHP and all :wink: Java is an awesome language. I know nothing about java but my girlfriend is learning it now. I have actualy heard of Ruby but I had no idea what it is. Its a web app language so I would like it.

We both do smaller stuff. Like websites, internal web apps for our employers, intranets etc. How about you? .NET does make things alot easier but the bonus is you can spend your time focusing on more complex things since the minuscule things are taken care of for you. Like you dont have to write code to connect to the database. (usually anyway) Small things like that. You would like C#. Its very close to C++ and Java. My girlfriend and I actually met in a programming class. :lol:

·
Registered
928 Posts
kogeki said:
I knew you were an open source guy. PHP and all :wink: Java is an awesome language. I know nothing about java but my girlfriend is learning it now. I have actualy heard of Ruby but I had no idea what it is. Its a web app language so I would like it.

We both do smaller stuff. Like websites, internal web apps for our employers, intranets etc. How about you? .NET does make things alot easier but the bonus is you can spend your time focusing on more complex things since the minuscule things are taken care of for you. Like you dont have to write code to connect to the database. (usually anyway) Small things like that. You would like C#. Its very close to C++ and Java. My girlfriend and I actually met in a programming class. :lol:
I've worked on anywhere from small to large. Right now, mostly small to mid-sized webapps...You really should check out Ruby. If you are not used to scripting languages, then it may seem a little weird at first, but it's nice to not have to re-compile all of the time...I did tinker with C# for a very short while, but I abandoned it when I heard about Rails. It seems pretty nice -- almost a clone of Java.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
i dispise java [-(

well maybe not THAT much.... but still

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
root said:
LuvaBULL said:
Some avatars are still huge, and it misaligns the entire thread, making it very difficult to read. Is there any way to edit that? I hate scrolling across to read.
Can you send me the link to a page that does this? Thanks
When peoples avatars are huge I just get a scroll bar around the image. It doesnt mess up the page,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.