Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm curious as to some input on this food as well. If it's a really good food I'm willing to travel the 55 miles to go and get it. I live in the middle of nowhere and we have bareley anything where I live. Right now I am feeding Diamond Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice, but I'd like to switch her to adult food once she is a year old and thats in about a month.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AkainePSP said:
I'm curious as to some input on this food as well. If it's a really good food I'm willing to travel the 55 miles to go and get it. I live in the middle of nowhere and we have bareley anything where I live. Right now I am feeding Diamond Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice, but I'd like to switch her to adult food once she is a year old and thats in about a month.
By the way your pup Harley looks cool! He looks like he is smiling all the time. As for the food I am not sure what the grade is yet? as far as dogs liking it, Titan can't stop eating it and he is the pickiest eater ever! I tried 4 or 5 different dog foods before I stumbled upon Canidae and he liked that pretty good. I also found a web site that sells it for areasonable price along with delivery so you don't have to travel 55 miles. The web site's name is www.sitstay.com and they have it for $38.00 for the 25 lbs bag. The pet shop by my house has it for $40.00.....with gas prices I'm pretty sure it will be cheeper to deliver.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
IMO, all Natures Variety foods are excellent foods. I'd say definately feed any of the NVP foods, they are meant to be interchanged. You don't have to, but they're designed so your pet can have variety.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
jet said:
I started feeding Titan Nature's Variety Raw Instinct Grain Free! Everyone told me that it is a very good brand, but Iwas just wondering the grade of the food. I switch from Canidae because they quit selling it at the pet shop by my house.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/conte...n=naturesvariety:CF77E9B80791e337DFXwjt258152

Thank you!
Hmm...

I'll grade this out. Maddi has been on the Innova Evo and doing very well for about 8 months. This is obviously meant to be a competitor to that food (which scores a 112) and, although the guaranteed analysis is the same, it looks like they've taken a slightly different apoproach (in a good way).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Care said:
IMO, all Natures Variety foods are excellent foods. I'd say definately feed any of the NVP foods, they are meant to be interchanged. You don't have to, but they're designed so your pet can have variety.
So I can give him Raw Instinct today and New Zealand Venison today? If so that would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The grading system we use here doesn't account for a few of the ingredients that are included in this kibble, and doesn't address the production process specifically in regards to baking vs. extruding (for which I gave it the full 5 points because their process very different, but better imho) that this company uses.

I also added 4 points for the 4(!!) different types of eggs that are included (chicken, duck, pheasant & quail), including them in the "different animal protein" category. I don't know if others do it that way.

The website also does not specifically say whether the meat ingredients are organic or hormone/antibiotic free, so I emailed them and I'll revise this score based on their answer. If they are organic or hormone/antibiotic free, the score will be higher, obviously.

So with that in mind, the food rated a 122, which ties for the highest (I believe) with DVP Natural Balance. I like this food MUCH better, however, as I believe in the high protein/fat low carbohydrate (filler) concept, mimicing a raw diet (and I just don't have the time or the inclination to feed raw).

Maddi is currently on Innova Evo and Chance is on DVP Natural Balance. Personally, I'll be switching both of my dogs to this food ASAP - as in, I'll be buying a bag tomorrow. My local supplier carries it (Lee's Feed in Shingle Springs is hands down the BEST feed store I've ever seen).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrisnjen said:
The grading system we use here doesn't account for a few of the ingredients that are included in this kibble, and doesn't address the production process specifically in regards to baking vs. extruding (for which I gave it the full 5 points because their process very different, but better imho) that this company uses.

I also added 4 points for the 4(!!) different types of eggs that are included (chicken, duck, pheasant & quail), including them in the "different animal protein" category. I don't know if others do it that way.

The website also does not specifically say whether the meat ingredients are organic or hormone free, so I emailed them and I'll revise this score based on their answer. If they are organic or hormone free, the score will be higher, obviously.

So with that in mind, the food rated a 122, which ties for the highest (I believe) with DVP Natural Balance. I like this food MUCH better, however, as I believe in the high protein/fat concept, mimicing a raw diet (and I just don't have the time or the inclination to feed raw).

Maddi is currently on Innova Evo and Chance is on DVP Natural Balance. Personally, I'll be switching both of my dogs to this food ASAP - as in, I'll be buying a bag tomorrow. My local supplier carries it (Lee's Feed in Shingle Springs is hands down the BEST feed store I've ever seen).
That's is very good news, thank you very much for grading the food for me! you are like the professor of grading! I would of jacked that up more ways than one! My score would've been like 1#@*?.....Good luck I hope you have the same luck as I have with it and keep me posted on how your dogs like it and how they are doing with this food.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That's is very good news, thank you very much for grading the food for me! you are like the professor of grading! I would of jacked that up more ways than one! My score would've been like 1#@*?.....Good luck I hope you have the same luck as I have with it and keep me posted on how your dogs like it and how they are doing with this food.
Oh you're very welcome! Thanks for asking the question...I didn't even know this food existed. Quite frankly it's one of the best kibbles I've ever seen, based solely on the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
jet said:
Care said:
So I can give him Raw Instinct today and New Zealand Venison today? If so that would be awesome.
Yes, that is exactly how they are meant to be fed. You do not have to, but that is how it should be done. There are a lot of companies doing this now. Of course if your dog has allergies you would be limited.

I personally don't use the food grading system. It's ok, for a quick look to see how good/bad a food is. But there are so many other things I'd either add points for or take away points for. I just don't bother to figure it out. I can tell by looking at the information if it's a good food and how good it is. It is a good way for people who don't know anything about dog food to understand a bit more about what's in it.

I'm not sure but I don't think their meats are "Organic", but they are probably free range. There are a lot of people who have great free range animals, and they produce awesome natural meat! But the thing is it costs big $$$ to get 'CERTIFIED ORGANIC', so companies don't always use 'certified organic' meat protein or grains.because then they have to pass the $$ on to their customers.

Chrisnjen, it nice to see somebody who knows about what's in dog food!

:D

P.S. for anybody interested their raw diets are awesome!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Care said:
I personally don't use the food grading system. It's ok, for a quick look to see how good/bad a food is. But there are so many other things I'd either add points for or take away points for. I just don't bother to figure it out. I can tell by looking at the information if it's a good food and how good it is. It is a good way for people who don't know anything about dog food to understand a bit more about what's in it.
Yeah there are a few things in this kibble that I think should have added point values in and of themselves (inulin, kelp, montmorillonite clay, salmon oil, ground chicken bone, blueberries and cider vinegar namely). Not sure there's anything I don't like except the added salt - but at least it's sea salt, which is what I eat :p.

The grading system on there is a great place to start though. It's lead me to do waaaayyy more research on canine nutrition than I ever would have otherwise.

Chrisnjen, it nice to see somebody who knows about what's in dog food!

:D
Thanks! If I worried half as much about what went into my body as I do about what goes into my dogs I'd be about 30 pounds lighter and I'd live longer :p.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
If I worried half as much about what went into my body as I do about what goes into my dogs I'd be about 30 pounds lighter and I'd live longer :p.
LMAO!!!!!! I completely here you there!!! It's all about the dogs, lol. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.