Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you own or have you had a chance to try this slingshot thing for tennis balls...it is made by Hyper products

http://www.hyper-products.com/albums/album_image/1928734/548267.htm

I have an old arm injury so I can't throw balls for that long...plus tennis balls are hard to throw very far! So I was considering this thing...it claims to throw them for up to 200 feet. Or should I just get a Chuck-It (like a stick with a cup on the end, you swing it to throw tennis balls).

This is not some attempt to advertise for these people by the way...I've just spent way too much money in the year I've had Chewy on junk (didn't know it was junk till I bought it)...one of the worst was this soccer ball tug thing they have at Petsmart...it is a cheap soccer ball wrapped in kind of a net, with these tug rope bits glued to the side. This thing lasted about 10 minutes...I never got a chance to play tug with it since he ripped the rope parts off immediately, then he tore into the net, finally he punctured the ball and ripped it to pieces...eh, I should have taken it back but it was so completely destroyed :(

Anyways, I told myself any new-fangled products I come across, I'm going to need some personal recommendations before I buy...thanks for your replies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
I heard about it, supposedly it works great but you need to use it in a huge field (as they fly long).
My dogs never return the ball. LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's nice to have a dog that's a good retriever, mine's got to be as good as any lab. Seems like he learned within a couple of days, basically I'd trade him a treat for the ball to get him to give it back. It's a good way to give them a workout, although my backyard's really not big enough so I have to take him places...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
OMG that is freakin cool!! Jaz is an awesome retriever. She never stops. Even in the house she's constantly dropping her ball in your lap so you can roll it (we don't throw in the house, usually), and she will keep doing it till you want to shoot her.

The thing is we have enough room for her to play, but I can't throw the ball very far. That would be perfect. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Tora won't get $hit, she will look it and look at you like,"Well go get it Dork"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Thats pretty funn how some bulldogs love to retrieve and others wont. I never had to teach my dog, he just liked it the first time i did it with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
rob&chewy said:
Yeah, it's nice to have a dog that's a good retriever, mine's got to be as good as any lab. Seems like he learned within a couple of days, basically I'd trade him a treat for the ball to get him to give it back. It's a good way to give them a workout, although my backyard's really not big enough so I have to take him places...
Sugar won't stop till she litterally falls over exhausted and even then she still wants to play! I have to keep a close eye on her when we play because it is so flippin hot here in Texas and she gets hot really fast! Dirk my GSD will gladly chase after the ball then his ADD kicks in and he quickly forgets what he is doing running around in the field!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
I use a Chuck it with my golden retriever mix and its great.
I can throw it far and my arm never hurts like it usually does when just throwing by hand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Care said:
She never stops. Even in the house she's constantly dropping her ball in your lap so you can roll it (we don't throw in the house, usually), and she will keep doing it till you want to shoot her.
We can't keep balls laying around the house. They all have to be picked up. If I won't play with Legend he pushes the ball around with his nose and once it gets going he goes crazy running around with it. And has even run into the wall, knocked over things, broke a couple of things.

angie7349 said:
Tora won't get $hit, she will look it and look at you like,"Well go get it Dork"
My other dog is like that. Lol. Gives you a look as almost to say "I know damn well you don't expect me to get that?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Have any of you worked on training a bully type to retrieve, or do you usually only do it with a dog that naturally likes to do so? I figure it'd be a good way for him to get some extra excercise without dying, myself ;)

We've been working with Reddy on it, trading his toy for treats, but there are still times where he'll drop it half way, or just refuse to go. Not exactly sure how to get it through to him that he's giving me the toy for the treat ;) He certainly knows 'give' really well though now! hehe

I think I'm starting to learn that Red has a very strong 'sleep-in-your-lap' drive. Maybe i just wear him out too much. Not that I mind, I also have a very strong 'lounge-with-dog' drive, so it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
lurene said:
Have any of you worked on training a bully type to retrieve, or do you usually only do it with a dog that naturally likes to do so? I figure it'd be a good way for him to get some extra excercise without dying, myself ;)

We've been working with Reddy on it, trading his toy for treats, but there are still times where he'll drop it half way, or just refuse to go. Not exactly sure how to get it through to him that he's giving me the toy for the treat ;) He certainly knows 'give' really well though now! hehe

I think I'm starting to learn that Red has a very strong 'sleep-in-your-lap' drive. Maybe i just wear him out too much. Not that I mind, I also have a very strong 'lounge-with-dog' drive, so it works.
:lol: That is funny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
As a bit of an update, we got some clickers, and started using them constantly. In about 2 minutes, Red was a fetching machine :)

Such a smart boy! It's amazing how much more quickly he learns than my lab/shep ever did!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
A trick that works with Sheila to get her excited to retrieve is a mild game of tug before tossing the frisbee. She is getting quite good at chasing it down. Her speed is up i think thanks to her work outs on the spring pole and the other day actually caught two in the air which made me a very proud poppa!! But it just seems like mentioned before, if she is not in the mood she will look at me like " why did you throw my toy so far???"
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top