Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fostering an American Staffordshire Terrier named Daisy Mae who is about 2 years old. I have 4 dogs of my own, a 14 yr old female Corgi, a 12 year old female Corgi, a 10 year old male American Staffordshire Terrier (mix?) named Henry and a 6 year old Border Collie/ Jack Russell mix named Tizzy.

I am used to having some initial problems when introducing a new dog to the pack until the new dog establishes its rank in the pack. My problem is that Daisy doesn't seem to understand what she is supposed to do! Henry is the top ranking dog and will snarl and snap at Daisy to put her back in her place, instead of submitting, Daisy wags her tail and licks Henry in the face! For the most part, Henry has given up on Daisy and seems to have excepted her as is, but Tizzy has issues!

Before Daisy came along Tizzy was ranked #2, but after some rough housing, Tizzy submitted to Daisy. Daisy didn't seem to understand what happened! Tizzy tries to dominate Daisy, but Daisy thinks Tiz is just playing. Tizzy is frustrated and pretty much hates Daisy. Daisy is very pushy and insists on playing with all of the dogs. She gets along OK with Henry, but when she plays with Tizzy I see that Tiz is half playing, half serious fighting. I'm concerned that this could esculate into something serious.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible to teach an adult dog doggy social rules? I really need Daisy to understand that she has to establish her rank so that the pack can be at peace again!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I am not the dog whisper but I am sure the foster understands a pack order, she just seems to be trying to dominate.....I have read that when a dog licks another dog that means it is under them but it seems Daisy wants to be number one,LOL, after all she is a Staffy....It sounds like she is trying compete with Henry for #1 she tries to tug for #1 then backs down.....Daisy does not seem to be bothered by Tizzy's attempts to be alpha b-witch....Just my opinion their are people that have far more experience then I do and I am sure that they will reply

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
There shouldn't be any aggression problems or snarling in your pack. YOU should be there pack leader, if somethings out of order, you have to handle it. Go over to the dog push her to the side with your finger tips and say SHHHH! It is definetly possible to teach an adult dog since dogs live in the now.

Also, whichever dog is not being submissive to the other pack member, put him or her on a leash and have her sit, back facing the pack so they can smell. After that, have her walk through the pack with the leash on. Also remember, your dogs may be active-dominant dogs. Take them for a long run or hike! Let all that energy out, some dogs submit better when there "walking" with the pack or running with the pack. A tired dog is a good dog, and same with a tired pack. Tired pack equals calm submissive animals.

Best of luck to you and if you have any further question just let us know.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
There shouldn't be any aggression problems or snarling in your pack. YOU should be there pack leader, if somethings out of order, you have to handle it. Go over to the dog push her to the side with your finger tips and say SHHHH! It is definetly possible to teach an adult dog since dogs live in the now.

Also, whichever dog is not being submissive to the other pack member, put him or her on a leash and have her sit, back facing the pack so they can smell. After that, have her walk through the pack with the leash on. Also remember, your dogs may be active-dominant dogs. Take them for a long run or hike! Let all that energy out, some dogs submit better when there "walking" with the pack or running with the pack. A tired dog is a good dog, and same with a tired pack. Tired pack equals calm submissive animals.

Best of luck to you and if you have any further question just let us know.
great advice kim! lol but I must laugh because if I had read this without seeing who wrote it... I would have thought the dog whisperer wrote it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! I've been watching the Dog Whisperer on TV and have read Cesar's book and noticed that a lot of your recommedations are similar. I have tried several of Cesar's techniques with success.

I have never had to introduce an adult into my pack before, and the pups always start at the bottom of the totem pole and work their way up gradually as they mature. This has been a new experience for me! Henry no longer snarls and has retained the #1(dog) position in the pack, the Corgis are at the bottom. Right now the only issue is between Daisy & Tizzy. Daisy is very confident and outgoing, but Tizzy is a pretty pushy dog. When Daisy & Tiz play, Daisy is having a good time, but the hair is standing up on Tizzy's back and her snarls look more serious than playful. Daisy is always so happy go lucky, seems totally oblivious to Tizzy's displeasure with her.

Diasy also has a very annoying habit of "mouthing" everyone people and dogs alike. I was able to break Henry of this as a pup, but its been more of a challenge with an adult Staffie. I have been using some of Cesar's techniques such as the Sshh! and using cupped fingers to give Daisy a corrective "bite", and also calmly standing up and pushing her away from whom ever she is mouthing at the time. She has improved quite a bit, but still has a ways to go. I read an earlier post about spraying bitter apple into the dog's mouth, but its really not realistic for everyone in our household to carry a bottle of bitter apple around non-stop all day, and my current methods seem to be working, but I can resort to the bitter apple if it is necessary.

I have found that Daisy is much easier to work with after a long walk, but hadn't considered walking multiple dogs at the same time. I have tendonitis in my shoulder and am having a difficult time getting Daisy to walk on a loose lead, she still needs numerous reminders that she is to walk beside or slightly behind me instead of in front of me. Of course this becomes easier as she becomes tired. Maybe I can get my husband to accompany me with Henry & Tiz.

I am the pack leader in our household, just having a difficult time figuring out how to be an effective leader to Daisy. Daisy actually has an excellant temperment and has never snarled at anyone and is extremely friendly, but I do need to teach her some manners before she finds an adoptive home. Thanks for your advice and keep it coming!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.