Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Logan managed to get a foxtail in his nose this week. After a $400 vet visit, he is much better.

Now I am freaked out about him or one of the other dogs getting them in their nose. The rains in March and April turned my back yard into a wasteland, and even mowed, the damn foxtails are all over the ground. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Any lawn treatments, etc?

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Yeah, don't kill Foxes and leave their tails in the yard! Just joking, but for those of us not in your region, what the hell is a foxtail?

~S

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's a big problem out here in Cali, they are everywhere.

Our house is a previous rental that we bought a couple years ago, and the yards are a mess. We are done with the inside, so now I guess it's time to totally gut the yard and try to start over.

More info for those that don't have them:

http://www.baltercatalogue.com/articles/57-foxtail-grass-and-dogs.htm

http://www.aztecanimalclinic.com/foxtails.htm

Logan was sneezing blood, and hitting his nose on the ground each time he would sneeze. His poor snout got all beat up, and they had to put him under to pull it out of his nose.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Definitely a big problem in California, especially right now when everything is drying up. I pull them out of Odie's coat all the time. Tala even had one in her eye a few days ago. They are nasty. I had to have them removed from my golden retrievers ears a couple of times, too.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
That is aweful!!!!!!! Poor babies

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
We have something similar to that here on the Outer Banks. But, they're small, round and covered in razor-sharp thorns. We call them sand spurs. If you don't have good grass/no weeds in your yard, your dogs will get them in their feet and they hurt like h3ll!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts