Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I enjoy an active lifestyle. We live in CT and are very close to the beach. Every day at least one of us runs 2-4 miles on the beach with our brittany, Pana. Pana also goes on mountain bike rides with me. These rides are 7+ miles at about 10 mph. Pana has no trouble keeping up, usally running ahead and hunting. My wife and I are considering a french mastiff for our next dog. I know as puppies you can not run the french mastiff too much, but I am wondering if the french mastiff could keep up with us for the running. I would not expect the dogue to keep up on a mountain bike ride. I know the french mastiff is not listed on this site for one of the dogs, but I am hoping someone can offer some helpful insight.
Luke

·
Registered
42 Posts
WELL THE FRENCH MASTIFF IS A GREAT DOG. THERES NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I WOULD SAY NO THEY CANT KEEP UP WITH THAT. MY GOOD FRIEND HAS ONE AND WE TAKE HIS BORDUEAX AND MY AB AND LAB OUT FOR WALK IN THE WOOD OFF LEASH SO THEY CAN RUN TOGETHER. HIS DOG AS WONDERFUL AS SHE IS, IS ONLY GOOD FOR ABOUT A MILE TO 1 1/2. SHES 116 LBS AND WILL NOT QUIT. THE BREED WOULD DO ANYTHING TO PLEASE YOU. EVEN RUN ITS SELF INTO THE GROUND JUST TO BE WITH YOU. MAYBE YOU COULD FIND ONE THAT COULD, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. BUT ID HAVE TO SAY THE AVERAGE WILL NOT. NOT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYONE. JUST MY 2 CENTS. HOPE THIS WILL HELP.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You want a dog that will hang with ya get yourself a staffordshire bullterrier! If you play fetch with them your arm will fall off before one of those dogs will quit!

PS: (Not a bullterrier) Get a staffordshire bullterrier, big difference when it comes to endurance! They are excellent dogs, my friend has two of them and they are real fun to play with and smart!

Here is a link with more info...dont let their small size fool you these are strong little athletes!

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/staffordshirebullterrier.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts