Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the Jersey, NYC, or Toronto area..

are there any in these areas that also train abs? just curious.
This may not be the best forum to post this on but I am posting all over to find out if there are any current or forming clubs in these areas.

thnx for any help!

- Evan

·
Registered
790 Posts
Redbull, there are no Canadian Ring Association clubs in Toronto.

However, Paul Cipparone does ring training, if you want to pursue it.

There is no NARA clubs in New Jersey. I think the closest one is Mass or New York.

To do ring, you need a VERY VERY prey driven dog. Not many ABs are suitable. Almost insane. LOL.

good luck.

Here is Paul's website.
http://www.wellingtonk9.com/

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx, yeah I saw there was a club in new york but it was a bit far from jersey city/manhatten/nyc. Was hoping that there may possibly be trainers near the city, or a reasonable drive. Thought I might bring my guy in for a few sessions with a trainer to see how well he does on some basic excercises and just get a better look at what it would take to get a brevet. I'm pretty sure he has enough nerve and drive, but I don't want to rush anything, he's still young. I knew there weren't many (or any?) abs with ring titles so I thought I'd look into it more and maybe train towards a brevet to see if ring training would even be plausible with my boy.

That link you sent was good, he's experienced in both sch+ring.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spoke to someone (Jerry Cudahy) who has the only AB in Canada with a ring 3 title and got some good info.

Looks like I am a little late to start training my boy for ring :(

I didn't realize that by his age (9 months old - almost 10) he should be able to bite and out with great ease and should be close to getting his Brevet, I didn't think pups did work with decoys at such a young age. Supposedly you have to get them used to the 'stick' when they are around 10 weeks of age as well, I am WAY behind :( although he is still willing to help me out.

I'm not losing hope though, going to start him asap with sch work, ob + retrieves + agility until I move back south and then find a steady trainer + club. I'm a little worried about starting him at his age now though, but I do have access to my families land up here to build some equipment for him now such as a wall, hurdle and a-frame.

Like Lisa was saying to me, I'm likely going to have to start from scratch with my boy now but hopefully I won't have to undo too much with him.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ring three AB????

Jerry C has a ring three AB??? What is its name? I was not aware of this. The only ring III AB that I was ever aware of in the history of AB was Koura's Oden, trained by Neil.

Can you find out for me? I would be VERY interested.

Also, in my experience, an AB is much more slower to mature than a malinois. yes a mal can bravet at 9- 12 months. It would be a feat for an AB. I actually do not know of ANY AB that has done this. Under one and got a ring bravet? Redbull, I think you misunderstood. Maybe Jerry was talking about imprinting.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes..I think you are right

"Hi Evan. I can help you. Perhaps more than most. I have experience with ABD. Own a unique bitch myself. She is the hardest biting dog I own and I own a few real good dogs. (mals, gsd, dutchie and abd).....

Evan, here in Canada. I own every major Ringsport Record there is to be had. If I cannot help you. No one can."

I know he has a ring3 title, but I likely misunderstood it to be his ABD. Was likely another dog of his. I'll find out.

"Your going to blow it if you don't start him very soon. Perhaps too late now to start him. At nine months a ring dog must already have a very clean out. Have you got a clean out during stress work training?

If the dog has not been conditioned to being struck with the baton. Back at 7 weeks of age. You might be out of luck. Most who have not been imprinted run from the stick or attack the stick. Both very incorrect responses from the dog.

Has your dog been under gun fire before and during bite training?"

Yeah, he was mainly talking of imprinting, but also stress work (not sure if this is with a decoy?). Is it normal to start work with a decoy at such a young age?
edit: I had originally thought I should stay away from agility course and decoys while he is under 12mnths since ABs are still growing and are more succeptible to injury, which means you should limit their jumping ,etc until they are a bit older.

He mentioned Oden as well:

"You mention New Jersey. Neil Albert from Jersey had the very best ABD in Ringsport at one time (1995 era). The dogs name was Oden and I watched Oden trial a couple of times. Perhaps in the top three biters ever in North America. The only time I have ever seen a trial decoy from France. Change his trial pants during a trial to heavy training pants. In order to fight Oden. Oden did not just bite to hold a suit. He punctured them ever single time he laced into one."

·
Registered
790 Posts
I thought so.

Jerry C is a very well known ring guy. I don't think any of his ABs have titled in anything, but it is certain that he would not keep a shi#ter. I think he fell out with the Canadian Ring Association. I don't know and I do not care to know. It is a shame, since he has done much for ring in Canada.

If you can train with Jerry C, that would be great. Good luck. You will learn much, I think.

LOL!!!!!! Working a good AB on a competition suit would be very painful, as the french decoy found out with Oden. :lol:

There is three suits. Competition, semi-comp, and Training.

I recall one incident with a fairly new decoy. I told him that you cannot work this bulldog with a competition can am suit. He said he could deal with it. Well, he is not decoying anymore, I think. Bad bite.

Hey, the scars on my arms and legs are not there because our dogs bite soft. LOL. Hell, I even wear under gauntlets for added protection. Your legs NEVER really heal. :lol: But working a HARD ass monster is very rewarding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts