Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Lincoln has started to misbehave more then ever! I think he needs more exercise and thats why he snaps, so I try and give him more exercise. He wont go for walks anymore, and when I play with him outside, throwing a ball etc, he finds it much more fun to run at me and try and bite. I've tried everything to try and get him to listen and he just wont. He actually hurts when he bites, and I'm pretty sure some people are scared of him. He's 7 1/2 months, but his behaviour is SO unexceptable. He only acts good when he's really tired, which is about 10% of the time or if we're in the car. HELP I'm starting to dread my time with him :(

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
He is a pup still just a little bigger..in my opinion I would try and find a place near you that has obedience classes and get him enrolled in as many as you can now :wink: It sounds as though he is lacking some obedience and he is not taking you serious. A bully out of control can reek havoc all over...

Just my opinon..

Good Luck..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erica said:
It sounds as though he is lacking some obedience and he is not taking you serious. A bully out of control can reek havoc all over...
Yes, thats the way I feel. He spends the whole day with my bf, so he listens much better to him. I just felt as though he was slowing down, then he was back to crazy all of a sudden. *sigh* I don't want to end up scared of my own dog.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
How to go about trying to take him out on a walk. He Dog Whisperer did an episode with a pit bull who wouldnt walk. If you could maybe try to find that episode and follow how he did it...?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I agree with Erica, get him to some BO classes
You have to start being FIRM with him,if not
things are going to spiral out of control.You need to
show him who is boss and it isn't him :wink:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I think basic obedience classes would do him wonders. You will probably be happily surprised. Bear and Molly are going to class now. In just 2 weeks they do a well mannered walk, sit, sit/stay (up to a minute so far), leave it and look. It takes alot a patience and consistency but you feel so good when they accomplish these things. The classes don't cost that much and give you so much in a better behaved dog.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What age do you recommend classes?

We were doing really well with walks for him every day, but after his eye surgery and neutering we were told to cool it down for a week or two and its hard getting him back into it.

This morning he was driving me nuts becuase I was trying to play with him and he just won't play nice, so I got so frustrated I started to cry and he put his paw on my shoulder and licked my ear. So I need deep down hes a good boy, he just has to learn that playing isn't biting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And what do ppl find most useful. When he tries to bite at my legs I tried "NO!" "Ouch" being calm about it, holding him down until he calms.. and nothing had much results. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Max was being the same way for a while there.....and wouldn't go for walks either (he was driving me bonkers!!!). What works REALLY well with him is actually getting in the car, and going for a walk somewhere totally different. For some odd reason he just doesn't like walking away from the house!!! He will walk forever if we are anywhere away from our neighbourhood though!!!

That and obedience classes help a LOT!!! Also if you ALWAYS have treats on you, it's amazing how much better they start acting and listening, LOL.....just make a big baggy full of low cal treats, and make sure he is always aware that you have them.

The puppy phase is always a pain in the butt (even though they are VERY cute), and I know it seems like they will be little buggers forever, but I just keep reminding myself that he WILL eventually grow out of this!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh and Max is doing obedience and he's only 3.5 months old right now....so it's never too early, and actually the earlier the better!!!!! Our trainer said if they are biting at your leg to stop moving, and ignore......so you can see if that works, BUT I know Max is way more stubborn than that, so I find always having treats keeps him on his best behaviour!!!

And another thing is that Max wasn't really into his toys for a while there.....and we figured with him we had to REEEEEALLY work at getting him interested in them. We have to go ape nuts over his toy, and keep him really into it for him to actually like it......but he's finally starting to like to play with his toys more now!!

Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Vertes! Sounds like your little man is a lot like mine. And the walk thing is a great idea. The worst thing is if I can even convince him to leave the house for a walk, we have friends down the street, so we get that far and he will just sit there and not move because he wants to go visit!! So then we end up going home.

Not moving when he goes to bite doesnt help us out much. Less work for him I think. I was contemplating getting that bitter apple stuff at the pet store to put on whatever he's biting on us. I think I'm just more frustrated this week because my bf is gone away, and being a single bulldog puppy mom is hard!!! lol

We actually had some fun playing last night in the yard and when he went to bite me I sprayed him with the hose.... he ran away instead of me this time...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CC, I have been doing that over and over and over. So maybe someday the light will go off in his wrinkly head. I always have a toy with me to be safe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

I have been bringing Lincoln to this walking park (paths in the woods) by our house and he has been doing fantastic with his walks and I've been even tiring him out.
Thats for the great suggestion!! :) Because of this, my weekend alone with Linc was actually enjoyable!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts