Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old Pit Bull Bishop is a good dog. My mom doesn't like him though. Why? Bishop has a gas problem. So far, we've had him on two foods:

Iams Large Breed Puppy and Purina Large Breed Puppy Chow. The latter was definitely definitely worse. It gave him gas that would fill a room or two and left him with the trots. Iams, though not as bad as Purina, still leaves him with a bit of gas that's still pretty stinky (but luckily with less regularity), but otherwise his poops are relatively normal (seems to fit along the spectrum of what I'd consider normal dog scats, though I'm by no means an expert).

Other than the vile-smelling side-effects, his food seems to be working well... he's gained some weight, his muscles look good, his goat is healthy, and good lord does he have energy.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Both are very low quality foods!!! PLEASE do some research on good dog nutrition. Foods like that are likely to cause gas, soft stools, shedding, dull coat and SO many other things!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've never had problems with IAMS before, I just don't want to break my bank account, and was just wonderring if there was anything especially good for growing puppies with sensitive stomachs.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
you can also give your dog about a table spoon or two of Plain yogert with his food
its susposed to help with gas so ive read
just make sure it has active cultures in it

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogey can clear a room in two seconds flat. He eats a very high quality food (Solid Gold Wolfking). I think the problem with him though is that he eats too fast. I mean he gobbles his food like he's starving or something. Does your dog tend to eat fast too?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bogart said:
Bogey can clear a room in two seconds flat. He eats a very high quality food (Solid Gold Wolfking). I think the problem with him though is that he eats too fast. I mean he gobbles his food like he's starving or something. Does your dog tend to eat fast too?
stick a big rock, or a can of tuna in his dish. He'll have to move it around to eat and will slow down.
i would be worried about bloat.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Chopper was on Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Stomachs, DVP Duck & Potato & his gas was soooooo bad you'd have to run out of the room. I looked up gassenous (sp). and found information at this website,

http://www.filadog.com/candida_albicans.htm

It gives an excellent explanation of dog & human gassiness. I've switched Chopper to Breeder's Choice Pinancle - Duck & Potato. In about 3 days the gas was virtually gone. Every once in a while you'll smell something, but it's so faint you have to do another smell to really be sure.

I'm gonna email this website to my daughter. She's always complaining that her boyfriend has the same problem. If he makes her mad, who knows what she'll feed him!

Good luck.

Maria

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This food worked

CC's mom told me about this food : Royal canin bulldog formulaBuster had the worst gas problem and could clear a house with his butt
butt since I switched over he hasn't a problem and his coat is nice and soft and shinny
GREAT GREAT GREAT food.I cant Say enough about it and it it wasn't for CC's mom telling me about this
My paint would of peeled off my walls by now :roll:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
FunnyGuy said:
We've never had problems with IAMS before, I just don't want to break my bank account, and was just wonderring if there was anything especially good for growing puppies with sensitive stomachs.
With higher quality foods you don't have to feed as much becuase they are getting more nutrients from the food.

So in turn you may be spending more $$$ at the time, but the food lasts longer so you don't have to buy it as often

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
After switching from the prescription kangaroo and oat to the DVP duck and potato, Atticus' butt has become 2390oi7234% more noxious.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maxi and Molly went from Iams to Royal Canin Adult Maxi and the gas has stopped. Their coats are alot better too

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
do the dew said:
Allergies suck, don't they

Totally. I thought I had it rough having my own allergies, I can't imagine being a poochie and not being able to tell someone what I think it is that's bothering me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts