Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month our American Bulldog has disgusting gas. Not to get into to much detail but it is loud enough to pass as a human passing gas and it is literally enough to make you gag and walk out of the room, he passes gas about once every 10 minutes or so. When he bleches (and it is lounder than a humans belch) it smells like nasty sulfer.

The only thing we did recently is switched his dog food from Natures Choice to Blue Buffalo, and switched his treats to milk bones as. We have taken him off the milk bones and they should be out of his system by now. We feel Blue Buffalo is a good dog food and are not sure if that is the issue because he has been on the food for 3-4 months now and this gas issue just came up about 1.5 months ago.

We are open to suggestions to another dog food that is good. We were told this is the best dog food out there currently.

We have a appt with the Vet this coming tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them, or has any ideas on what we should try?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My AB passes gas too. Not as much as yours but enough to notice. I feed her Science Diet which is great for her system and she loves her milkbones. She doesn't have loud or disgusting farts but it confuses her everytime she hears herself, its kinda cute. My vet said its normal, I cut back on the rawhides though, that tends to do it. When she gets an upset stomach though especially with the runs I give her immodium AD as my vet said, of course only in the correct dosage. Sorry there's not more I can tell you but your not alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kahlua said:
My AB passes gas too. Not as much as yours but enough to notice. I feed her Science Diet which is great for her system and she loves her milkbones. She doesn't have loud or disgusting farts but it confuses her everytime she hears herself, its kinda cute. My vet said its normal, I cut back on the rawhides though, that tends to do it. When she gets an upset stomach though especially with the runs I give her immodium AD as my vet said, of course only in the correct dosage. Sorry there's not more I can tell you but your not alone.
Thank you for the info. We do not feed him any raw hides or anything, only dry dog food and Alpo treats.

Yes, Diesel gets confused of where the noise came from, he jumps up and runs ut of the room leaving us with the smell too.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
wow, well when I first read the topic... first thing I thought of was food. But that is a very good food. But even though it is a good food, does not mean it is good for your dog. All dogs are different and sometimes you have to play around with their food to see what works for them.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Just went through this

I just went through this with Buster.His farts could knock down the walls in the house and clear the house out in seconds.
I switched foods to Royal canin bulldog formula.It has a picture of an English bull dog on the bag but it is made for bull dogs digestive track as they are gassy.Well he hasnt had ANY gas since and he loves the food.It rates I think an A+ on the food chart and you can get it at petco or petsmart.

Edited to add: The food also helps keep there coat nice,less shedding :wink:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Both of my dogs were gassy on Iams. Iswitched to Nutro Ultra, and it seemed to subside a bit, but It doesn't appear that the dogs like the Nutro. After this bag, I'm going for Royal Canine. I've heard good things about that brand

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson ate eukanuba as puppy (i know, i didnt know better) and was
sooo gassy. Then switched him to Blue buffalo too...he was STILL
gassy, if not gassier eating that. I think it was too rich for him.
Switched him finally to DVP duck/potato and hallejulah....
NO MORE GAS!
So, it is just trial and error till you find a food that works.
If the Blue Buffalo isnt working, try something else.
But give it 2-3 weeks of trying the food before giving up!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
16 Posts
:lol:

I'm sorry, I do hate to laugh about the gas! My Petey has a gas problem too and I'm thinking of changing his food over to the brand mentioned here in this thread. Thanks for that suggestion!

I can totally relate to the "knocking down walls and clearing out a room" though!! He does that to me at the very least 3 times a night. Not to be gross here, but my boy gives a whole new meaning to the acronymn "SBD" LMAO

·
Registered
243 Posts
Kahlua said:
If you truly love your dog, you'll stop feeding her Science Diet and switch to a high-quality kibble. I got the same advice from my first vet "feed him Science Diet. It's great for the system. I'll even take of $5" I suggest you check out the food rating post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts