Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know there have been posts about the Gentle Leader head halti, but I haven't seen anything on the halter. Has anyone used it before? If so, is it effective? I'd like to switch Boss from a head halti to a harness, he's been pulling to get at squirrels and birds *a lot* more lately, and I'm a little concerned about what some people have said about it causing spinal injuries. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
They're very effective, but it usually takes a bit of work to get your dog used to them. I haven't tried one on Tala, but I've tried with Odie. He would do the bucking broncho thing, and pull backwards, and eventually slip his snout out of it. I'm thinking of going back to it and working with him some more.

I haven't heard anything about spinal injuries, but I could see that happening over a period of time if the dog continually lunges. The head collar simply turns the dogs head when they pull, which is akward for the dog and so they are supposed to self correct. So if they lunge hard enough, I could see how an injury could occur.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beetle said:
They're very effective, but it usually takes a bit of work to get your dog used to them. I haven't tried one on Tala, but I've tried with Odie. He would do the bucking broncho thing, and pull backwards, and eventually slip his snout out of it. I'm thinking of going back to it and working with him some more.

I haven't heard anything about spinal injuries, but I could see that happening over a period of time if the dog continually lunges. The head collar simply turns the dogs head when they pull, which is akward for the dog and so they are supposed to self correct. So if they lunge hard enough, I could see how an injury could occur.
Yeah I use the head collar now, and for the most part it's very effective, but he does still pull a lot when he sees squirrels and birds. Have you heard of or used the halter??

·
Registered
65 Posts
sensation harness

i just got luna the sensation harness (i think that's what it's called, the one that straps around her chest) since we'll be returning to the city with her - might be easier at first, while she's adjusting. who am i kidding...easier on us too!

just took it for a test-run - complete with her trainer, other dog run-in, sniff extravaganza, etc...- and she did well. she took to it better than the halti. fyi...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you asking about the chest harness (aka Sensation Harness)? There's a strap that goes over their shoulders/under their belly, and another that goes across their chest - this one has the ring to hook the leash to?

If so, I use them for Chyna and Ozy and have been very pleased. We used the GL for Chyna for a while, and it worked okay, but there are times when she sees a squirrel or cat and just bolts - I didn't like the thought of stopping her by her nose (neck trauma potential!!). With the chest harness, the pivot point is much better. She can't pull me over, and there's much less risk of injury. Also, the adjustment time was virtually nothing (especially compared with the GL - she REALLY resented it).

I do attach the leash to both her harness and her collar - my trainer advised that for added security.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chynasmom said:
Are you asking about the chest harness (aka Sensation Harness)? There's a strap that goes over their shoulders/under their belly, and another that goes across their chest - this one has the ring to hook the leash to?

If so, I use them for Chyna and Ozy and have been very pleased. We used the GL for Chyna for a while, and it worked okay, but there are times when she sees a squirrel or cat and just bolts - I didn't like the thought of stopping her by her nose (neck trauma potential!!). With the chest harness, the pivot point is much better. She can't pull me over, and there's much less risk of injury. Also, the adjustment time was virtually nothing (especially compared with the GL - she REALLY resented it).

I do attach the leash to both her harness and her collar - my trainer advised that for added security.
It's not called the sensation harness lol. It's actually made by the people who make the Gentle Leader. It's called a Gentle Leader and it's a chest harness. I just wanted to know, do your dogs pull on it? Because 90% of the time, Boss does not pull at all and walks right beside me with the Gentle Leader head collar. So I don't want to switch to the chest harness and have him be able to pull all over the place, you know?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Chynasmom said:

It's not called the sensation harness lol. It's actually made by the people who make the Gentle Leader. It's called a Gentle Leader and it's a chest harness. I just wanted to know, do your dogs pull on it? Because 90% of the time, Boss does not pull at all and walks right beside me with the Gentle Leader head collar. So I don't want to switch to the chest harness and have him be able to pull all over the place, you know?
There are at least 2 out there on the market. Premier/Gentle Leader makes the "Easy Walk" harness, and another company makes the "Sense-ation" harness (I don't know specifics of the others on the market, so I'll just address those two). They are structured nearly identically - strap across the withers/under the belly, strap across the chest with a ring for attaching the leash. My dogs both have the GL "Easy Walk" variety. Yes, they CAN lean against it, but they really can't get the leverage to PULL with any strength.

I prefer the chest harnesses to the GL head halters because if we come up on a rabbit or squirrel or cat suddenly, Chyna WILL bolt at them, and I didn't like the risk of her wrenching her neck if she was wearing the head halter.

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chynasmom said:
Tara<3Boss said:
Chynasmom said:

There are at least 2 out there on the market. Premier/Gentle Leader makes the "Easy Walk" harness, and another company makes the "Sense-ation" harness (I don't know specifics of the others on the market, so I'll just address those two). They are structured nearly identically - strap across the withers/under the belly, strap across the chest with a ring for attaching the leash. My dogs both have the GL "Easy Walk" variety. Yes, they CAN lean against it, but they really can't get the leverage to PULL with any strength.

I prefer the chest harnesses to the GL head halters because if we come up on a rabbit or squirrel or cat suddenly, Chyna WILL bolt at them, and I didn't like the risk of her wrenching her neck if she was wearing the head halter.

I hope that answers your question.
Oh ok, so, if you are walking them, and have the lead wrapped around your hand to make it short so that they are walking beside you, do you find that they are pulling? Because when Boss is just wearing a flat collar, he'll pull the whole walk. That's what I want to avoid. I can't have him pulling me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts