Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after Deuce's seizure we were advised to get something that didn't put pressure on his throat. We got a gentle leader before training class last night. We put it on and he walked so good. It was so cute. He looked like he was prancing like a horse b/c every step he would try to paw at his face to get it off. He pouted the whole night. He was not very happy with me. He pretty much just layed there and ignored me the whole time. He is never that calm. I can't wait to work with him on it. I think it will be a great training tool.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Is your trainer working on this with you? I never could get those things to work by myself. :roll: :D

Make sure you still have something hooked onto his collar just in case he does manage to get the gentle leader off.

But YAY Deucey boy! :D

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, she adjusted it to fit and put it on him for the first time. She walked him around the store for a bit before class. She has been instructing me on the proper way to use it. I still have some work to do though. I have a little trouble keeping the leash on the correct side. It gets twisted b/c it attaches at the bottom, under his jaw, not like a collar that can turn around his neck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use the Gentle Leader on Lilly and Lila - it works great- even my kids can walk them both together. Did you get a DVD with the collar - I found it to be very helpful. I hope it works as well for you as it has for us. Make sure it is tigh enough on the back of the head so that it doesn't slide, that can cause irritation. The DVD demo says "one finger should fit under the clip"

Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
awesome!

i need to try one of these out on my dogs. i have heard of them, but i havent seen too many people using them. do you need special training to use one?

i worry about my oldest dog, sometimes he pulls. and when he does i worry he will hurt himself. he's big and quite strong. he's a 75 lb rhodesian ridgeback mix.

how much control do you have with the gentle leader and does it come off easily? how is it when lets say you're walking your dog and another dog is across the street and your dog is pulling hard to try and get over to the other dog?

·
Registered
52 Posts
you don't need special training - you just need to follow the instructions to the letter so that you don't cause the dog any discomfort. I would recommend picking one up that has the training DVD with it (the DVD is free). Lilly doesn't mind hers at all but Lila will rub her head on my legs trying to get it off. But when they see me take them out they know they're getting to go and they let me slide them right on. The idea is that it tightens around the muzzle when they pull as if the Alpha was squeezing their muzzle with their mouth.

If you fit it correctly, it doesn't come off easily when they rub. As for the pulling when they see another dog, most of that is in training them to ignore other animals. This won't make them ignore but it does give you more control. We've had great success with them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes, thats the main thing i need is more control that will help in teaching them not to pull. i dont expect it to train them to ignore other dogs. but i want to make sure it wont slip off if they pull.

·
Registered
886 Posts
the gentle lead is impossible to come of if you put it on right, and it is a great tool to use to teach your dog to pay attention to you, not anything else, and it cures pulling almost instantly, when the dog is on the gentle lead at least.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I liked the Gentle Leader, too. Boss was very good with it on. However, I stopped using it recently and got the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness, because I was concerned about Boss injuring his spine or something when he'd try to bolt if he saw a squirrel or bird before I did. As long as I saw it before him and made him sit-stay, he'd be fine, otherwise he'd pull really hard. The harness doesn't work as well as the head collar, but I'm much happier with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.