Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-

My name is Joe and I will be receiving my 9 wk old AB on Friday. This will be my first dog that I have bought with my own money and trained by myself. I am getting nervous as to me training the dog the right way and having him housebroken to go outside.

I have talked to the breeder and they say that he is paper trained to go onto them potty pads in the house. This is not the way that I am wanting him to be trained!!! YIKES.
~~~~~~
As I plan to spend Fri, Sat, Sun with him I am also goin to be taking Mon, Tues and maybe Wed off from work as well. So this will be a good 4 possible 5 solid days with him, training him to go "outside". Plan on using a crate as well to help in this. The question is when I go back to work...

--I have to leave the house by 6:00am to get to work by 7:00am (wife works the same place as I)
--We get home 4:30pm
--1 hr drive btw home and work. A home lunch break is out of the question...

I realize that pups 9 wks of age can only hold their business for around 3-4 hrs. This would mean he needs to go outside around 10am and 2pm.

I have a neighberhood friend that is goin to let him out at least once and if he can 2 times during the day when I go back to work. But, as he called me yesterday saying that I had got him into the dog mood, he is getting a Boxer next week, Friday i think. dog aggression worries me here....

I feel confused as to what I should do. Try and get him off the paper or trian him togo outside with all them factors I stated above ? I am sorry if this post seems like I'm rambling but my head feels like it is also [email protected][email protected]!

Thanks for you time,
Joe

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If he is getting a young puppy boxer, dog aggression will not be issue at all while they are this young. It acutally will be helpful as both of them will get to know another dog at an age when they are carefree.

I would go with this guy and have him take your dog out and bring his dog over so they can play for a bit and go potty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kate-

Thanks for the peace of mind. I think I am stressig myself out BEFORE the pup even gets here!!!

Question - Is it possible for my pup to get confussed as to who is his owner when I have my neighbor take him out. Or will the 4:30 to 10:00pm activities enforce who is ?

I am also thinkin the plane ride over might discourage him from liking his crate... thoughts?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you pay enough attention to your pup in the time you are home and right from the beginning enforce the alpha status, your pup will remember you and have no problems trying to figure out who she should obey.

With the plane ride and the crate. I don't think this should be a problem for her at all. There are many people on this board who have gotten their pups that way and have had no problems. Just make her crate extra cozy for her when you get her home. But don't make it too cozy for her while she is sleeping in it becuase that leaves space for her to mess in her crate and push it off to the side and not have to sleep in it

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
And also remember that your puppy will probably whine in the crate at first. The worst thing you can do is to comfort him when he does this. You must ignore him. It will pay off because crate training will go much more smoothly.

I wouldn't worry about your dog confusing you and your neighbor. He will know which one of you two is his owner. I had a petsitter for Bogart when he was younger. She came for 45 minutes, and there was never a problem with the bonding between me and Bogart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have bought my family some ear plugs already...

Ok, onemore question...

I consider myself to be a outside person. I am outside alot more then inside most of the time.

Do I need to stay inside with him during the first days of arrival ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
until he has had all his shots, i would keep him inside and away from other dogs and with minimul new people interaction

1 - 10 of 10 Posts