Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has been a crazy few months for luna with a big move and all. just about when i was saying she was doing great, adjusting quite well to her new city life...we had a "teenage years relapse" if you will.

so, it made me think - it's always mentioned on the forum about returning back to the basics of OB, just as a good foundation for having a bearable pet.
but what are those OB basics? i was thinking about a checklist of sorts that i can have in my head whenever we're walking, feeding, or playing with luna. things to consistently reinforce to affirm the pack order, etc.

i know we focus on luna's food/feeding time as a source for obedience lessons - just cause she's such a food hound. but we do tend to get lazy with things like going through doorways first and all that.

just wanted to get an idea of what everyone's individual "basics" check list is...

·
Registered
790 Posts
basics........great POST!

For me, it is focus. Everything comes from that. If the dog wants something, it has to look into my eyes.

I think that is the most baic of all! Focus. Now, getting that from an din# of a dog, is hard, and requires consistency.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For me,when on a leash your dog should sit anytime you stop walking. That and "leave it" are the top two. Leave it might be the most important of all. It has saved the lives of a few squirrels, ankle biter dogs and even a deer (okay, he probably couldn't have caught up to it). Thats important from a liability perspective.

·
Super Moderator
15,960 Posts
For me, it is focus. Everything comes from that.
I do agree with this statement. Teaching your dog to pay attention
to you at all times, is first and everything else is second as it comes up in a
day to day routine. To me the best way to teach focus is to constantly change
your direction when working with him so that he knows if he is not paying attention
to you, he has missed something. Dogs do not want to miss anything.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm lucky, my dog is pretty laid back & easy going. She doesn't require a lot of corrections. One thing I do to reinforce my position is the long down. Usually I do it when I'm on the ocmputer, or fixing dinner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts