Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baylee is set for Friday to get spayed. the vet checked her out and said she is a good healthy pup and should do just fine.

i drop her off and pick her up the same day. crazy

anyway, what should i expect and what do i need to prepare for?

any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yay for spaying!! :)

Expect her to be groggy when you pick her up, but if she's like most dogs, you can expect her to be wanting to run around and play the next day. :) You may have to use an Elizabethan collar if she is licking her stiches constantly, but Bella didn't mess with hers at all, and she messes with everything! You may have to crate her if she thinks she can run and jump all over the place. Bella was on sedatives for 5 days because she was so off-the-wall hyper after she got spayed.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see, that's what i'm afraid of.... running around crazy, if she does that, i have no problem in crating her, but could i take her for walks? or is that too much too soon?

it's hard since we have the other dog. when Baylee broke her toe and had the cast on, omgosh, what a nut! she would run through the house, clunk clunk clunk!!!

but when i gave her a pain pill, she'd get all spacey!!! that was funny.

did Bella act weird on her sedatives?

oh yeah, how long to recover?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it all depends on the dog, and the vet procedure as to what you can expect. I've had two recent experiences. (well, within the past year) I've read of vets that only do them on overnight staying basis, stitches, no stitches, some don't offer pain shots and pills, some do.. Some require a week checkup, some you don't hear from again unless your needing them for reassurance. For the most part, I think they handle the spay/neuters much better than we do. lol Most are uneventful and have no issues at all. While some have the ocassional problems, and some are even lost during the surgery.
Maddie was glued no stitches at all. When I went to pick her up she was howling the instant she heard my voice and was more than ready to get the hell out of dodge, lol. The assistant told me she recovered from the anasthesia wonderfully, and was ready to immediately walk around and go pee. When they brought her out she was ready to go home, and super excited to see me. I was told to allow her to do as she pleased for the most part. That she wouldn't do anything she was uncapable of or that caused her pain or discomfort. I opened the door to my truck to pick her up, and put her in. Before I could even get to her, she had already plopped her butt in the front seat all on her own, and was sitting there ready to go. She slept a lot that evening once she was comfortable at home. I kept her seperated from Ben, and she was unable to have a bath or get wet for I believe 10 days. She didn't care to eat, but was quite thirsty when we made it home. I believe she chowed down the next morning. Otherwise she plopped herself on the couch and slept for most of the evening. I watched the scar for redness, swelling or bleeding but otherwise it was life as normal for the most part. She wasn't given any pain pills, sedatives, or anything else other than one shot for pain from that vet just for that evening.

Few weeks ago, I had my cat spayed (I know not a dog) ;)
She was basically the same, no stitches as well. When we first arrived at home though she was very wobbly bless her heart. She kept swaying when she walked, and would fall over when she stood still.. Guess she was more susceptable to the wooz of the pain shot than Maddie was. She didn't do anything but lay around, and hiss at me for days. lol Though the morning after she did jump onto her tree and stayed there for the most part. She wouldn't eat as well, though she would nibble here and there a morself or two. She finally ate and seemed completely back to normal within about 2 days. Though her flying leaps and bounds all over the house weren't exhibited for about a week. She eventually even forgave me too. ;)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny how cats hold grudges!!

i don't understand the glue instead of stitches, i think that would rip open more easily. the last time i spayed a dog was 8 years ago and she stayed at the vet for 3 days. so this in-&-out thing is way new to me, and now the glue :shock: amazing!

how old was you dog when you had it done?

and how old was Bella? (if you are reading this)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I forgot that they do glue now! Bella had stitches (obviously) for 10 days, and after that 10 days, we let her run around like normal. She was 18 weeks old when she was spayed. And the sedatives didn't really make her act goofy, just lethargic. Sometimes they didn't do anything to her! She was (still is!) a nutty little puppy.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, funny now that we survived, lol. I thought they'd switched cats on me for a while there. :shock:

Maddie was about a 1 1/2 when I had her spayed.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
My old roommate's lab/bassett mix got spayed and they used the glue. Didn't rip open, and she didn't have to go back to just have stitches taken out. The vet called and did a check up, but the dog didn't have to be seen. And the scar healed nicely.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bella_blue said:
And the sedatives didn't really make her act goofy, just lethargic. Sometimes they didn't do anything to her! She was (still is!) a nutty little puppy.
about 20 minutes after Baylee would take her pill, she'd look around like she'd never been there before. she once went up to a candle and stared into the flame and slowly move her head when it flickered.

she would also growl at her back leg (not the one that was broken), lmao it was freaking cute.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone for all the information!

i'm a little less stressed now, but still nervous. i hate to put her under :(

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Some vets use the glue, some stitches. Some still use staples! (Poor Dino! :cry: ) It just depends on the vet. I've had the glue fail on me one time - just popped right open. I put a butterfly closure on it and took her to another vet next morning. They said they couldn't even tell it had been open, it healed so fast. :D Don't worry about that, though - that's a really rare thing to have happen, and it was no big deal. I've had better than 50 dogs spayed or neutered in the last couple of years, and that's the only complication I've ever had. Don't worry - Miss Baylee will be just fine. :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, Maddie as well. You can barely even see the tiny little white dash that remains from her spay. I had no idea about the glue until I picked her up. As far as I recall both had absorbable sutures internally, and then the surgical glue on the outside. I believe it discourages scratching/pulling and etc. from the normal sutures? (don't quote me on that, bad memory sometimes :oops: lol.. But I believe that's a benefit as was explained to me)

Edit ~ was referring to Hausmommy post about being fine (not the popping open part) :eek:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If she is like CC, who came home the same day she might throw up some and get the shivers the first night.you shouldn't take her for walks, and try(ya thats goinna help :lol: ) to keep her calm. it took CC about 2 days till she wanted to jump and all the stuff they tell not to let her do. CC got stiches.they always give stitches to bully breeds , at least where she got fixed. Good luck. I think it's harder on you then it will be for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bella was spayed (without incident) a month ago. When she came home she was drunk as all hell from the anesthesitic, which was hilarious and totally strange. Wagging her tail would almost knock her over, her balance and sense of direction was way off.
She slept this off overnight, well over about 12hours, and was up and ready for a short walk in the morning. She had a few sessions of circuit around the lounge at speed, which I couldn't prevent starting, and then couldn't stop without injuring both of us, which made her stitches bleed. As the mummy dog, I was very upset at the blood, however the bleeding dog licked her wounds and carried on as usual. We did get her a cone head, to stop the licking whilst in bed, which to (everyone's surprise) Bella thought was fantastic. Honestly she had no shame and stayed still whilst the cone collar went on every time. I think she thought it was dress up time.
Bella always gets sooooo excited about a trip to the vet, that i have to pscych myself into taking her, she will literally drag me up the street to the clinic door. Many people had said that this would probably change after the operation. When we went back to have her stitches removed I learned that Bella doesn't hold a grudge. She was happy as a clam to be back at the vet and took herself to the weigh station without guidence.

I was scared and sad and uncomfortable about the whole ordeal. Bella showed me that I needed to lighten up and all was fine.
Baylee will be fine and she probably won't notice a thing

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you all for sharing your stories, they make me feel lighter about tomorrow.

i have 2nd and 3rd thoughts about having it done. i've seen animal cops way too many times and i get sad when i picture her there knocked out with her tongue all wacky and stuff.....

like you said, it's harder on us....

thanks again everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts