Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not really - I'm just really frustrated. So here's the 411 so far on this poor guy - HE CAN'T stand still!!! He can't lay down - it's like he's Keanu Reeves in Speed - if he stops he seems to think he'll die! :lol: I knew they were high energy dogs I suppose I just wasn't as prepared as I thought I'd be for it's manifestations.. *SIGH* we'll figure it out and work through it... Just wanted to beotch for awhile... 8)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Wait.. how many dogs do you have? I thought you just had Sam.
:?

·
Registered
979 Posts
newpitowner said:
Ok not really - I'm just really frustrated. So here's the 411 so far on this poor guy - HE CAN'T stand still!!! He can't lay down - it's like he's Keanu Reeves in Speed - if he stops he seems to think he'll die! :lol: I knew they were high energy dogs I suppose I just wasn't as prepared as I thought I'd be for it's manifestations.. *SIGH* we'll figure it out and work through it... Just wanted to beotch for awhile... 8)

I told you that breed is high energy. Did you think I was kidding?

Having said that. Very few battle plans survive the first engagement. So the question now is how do we learn to deal with this dog. I don't think by any stretch that two walks a day is going to do it for this dog. Period.

1. He can't help it. It's like you have a hyper, braniac KID and you want him to sit on his chair and stay there. AIN'T gonna happen.

2. How old is this dog. If he's old enough you need to exercise the living poop out of this dog. That might require a long damned walk first thing in the morning. Obedience classes and agility and tricks and fly ball or duck hunting. You have a seriously WORKING breed in this dog. He is hardwired for a J.O.B. so you have to give it to him. Teach him tricks or something.

3. There's a reason his first humans gave him up, and there's a reason that (from memory) 60% of puppies don't end up where they start out. But this is not impossible. You might find you pick up some new hobbies in the interim (like duck hunting). Seriously look for a sporting club - they might be able to hook you up with some field lessons and at least the poor dog can go kill some decoys or something :D

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LMBO no I believed you. He's approx 9-11 mos old. I am planning on working him - just gotta figure out how to go about that. How does one go about finding a sporting club (being one who is unfamiliar w/ such things)? I am currently sifting through trainers to see if I can find one suitable to his needs and apparently mine. :lol: I know the walks alone aren't going to get it but they are better than nothing right this second. I have been working w/ him throughout the day and he IS 'getting' a few things. He's quiet in the morning now when Mike gets up - waits till I'm up to start his ruckous making. It just takes time..... I know this... thanks for being a place for me to vent... and of course for any thoughts/ideas you might have. :sunny:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Weight pulling can really wear a dog out. All you need is a harness, some weight, and a place to pull. Your dog is a bit young but you can get him used to wearing a harness and dragging something light around.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Have you given any thought to taking him for run/bike ride? I can't walk fast enough for a slow walk with Chopper. His walking gait is almost a trot for me! When hubby & me take Chopper out, I'm the one who's walking behind the 2 of them. My legs aren't as long as theirs! But, Chopper loves to go for a 3+mile run/bike ride with my hubby. Seems to do the trick with him.

Good Luck.

Maria

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ask around at the local sporting goods stores (at the gun counters). You shouldn't have any trouble finding a duck club if there is one in your area.

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
Some good suggestions here. He does need to be worn out and running is one way.
I have a deck in our fenced in back yard that is open underneath and sits on the side
of an above ground pool. Clara uses this as her exercise deck. She jumps up 4 ft
on it and then off it, runs a circle around the pool then goes under the deck and runs
another circle around the pool and then back up on the deck. She will repeat this
pattern several times until she has worn the energy out of her. Your dog needs some
source to work out his energy. Look at your back yard and study it to see what you
may be able to build as an exercise area for him. Some people put a harness on their
dog and hook up a red wagon and they have the dog pull things in the wagon. Some
people hook up a rope and tire off of a tree for the dog to jump up and play with.
Some people set up a little back yard agility course and teaching your dog to fetch is good.
Frisbie is a great game for dogs and works off energy. We cannot walk as fast as these
dogs need to go, so some other activity has to be given to them to work it off.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Maria W said:
Have you given any thought to taking him for run/bike ride? I can't walk fast enough for a slow walk with Chopper. His walking gait is almost a trot for me! When hubby & me take Chopper out, I'm the one who's walking behind the 2 of them. My legs aren't as long as theirs! But, Chopper loves to go for a 3+mile run/bike ride with my hubby. Seems to do the trick with him.

Good Luck.

Maria
I do this too, with Harley. She has an extremely high energy level. I'm always afraid of going overboard & I'll stop to give her a break. She's never interested in break-time, she just wants to run, run, run.
Another bonus is that you can wear them out much quicker that way. And, you can't bring the kids...ah, heaven :wink:

·
Registered
979 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
Wait.. how many dogs do you have? I thought you just had Sam.
:?
In the photo section she explained that she got this GSP on its way to the pound.

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kogeki said:
Weight pulling can really wear a dog out. All you need is a harness, some weight, and a place to pull. Your dog is a bit young but you can get him used to wearing a harness and dragging something light around.
I'm intrigued by this idea - since he's a GSP does this exclude him? You since he's more of the hunting type vs the strong bully type. I would love to be able to hook him up to the kids wagon - would make my life easier and his more productive. See I have 2 3 yo's who can't walk that fast and so it keeps me from being able to walk him during the day (have to squeeze them in during DH's stop overs :roll: ) but if I could have him pull the wagon he would get a TON more exercise. Where does one obtain a harness? Looking forward to your responses....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
newpitowner said:
kogeki said:
I'm intrigued by this idea - since he's a GSP does this exclude him? You since he's more of the hunting type vs the strong bully type. I would love to be able to hook him up to the kids wagon - would make my life easier and his more productive. See I have 2 3 yo's who can't walk that fast and so it keeps me from being able to walk him during the day (have to squeeze them in during DH's stop overs :roll: ) but if I could have him pull the wagon he would get a TON more exercise. Where does one obtain a harness? Looking forward to your responses....
That's such a good idea....I love it. Maybe you should start a new thread in the working dog section asking about this. You'll probably get better advice & more responses there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you - I will. Good thinkin' - it's why I have to go outside the box (IE my own brain power) cause my box is rather empty. :help:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
newpitowner said:
Thank you - I will. Good thinkin' - it's why I have to go outside the box (IE my own brain power) cause my box is rather empty. :help:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Sounds like Bella, especially when we have guests at our house! They never, ever see her calm side. :lol:
LOL...Same here! I always tell my family & friends "Trust me, they're extremely well behaved dogs...when no one is here!" :lol:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy wrote:
Sounds like Bella, especially when we have guests at our house! They never, ever see her calm side.

LOL...Same here! I always tell my family & friends "Trust me, they're extremely well behaved dogs...when no one is here!"
SAME!!! My dogs are NUTS when theres people over...but they are nuts anyways so!! lol

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Sounds like Bella, especially when we have guests at our house! They never, ever see her calm side. :lol:
LOL...Same here! I always tell my family & friends "Trust me, they're extremely well behaved dogs...when no one is here!" :lol:
Haha! That's the motto in our house!! "They're really good when it's just us, I swear!!"

·
Registered
786 Posts
I swear I have wanted to give rex away plenty of times and Im sure I will feel that way again lol. I will never do it though i love the pup but I do get overwhelmed with his engery though, He gets so man walks a day I cant even count how many lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
Find out whether you can work him hard at his tender age. Larger dogs tend to mature slower and hard running and working is contraindicated until about 18months or so.

You probably need not find an additonal dog board - for GSPs.

Paula

1 - 20 of 28 Posts