Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here give their pets their own shots? Just curious because my boss's wife used to be a vet tech so she could actually give Mason all his shots EXCEPT for the rabies shot... It would save me 75% of the cost but im more worried about the health issues and reliability doing this..

Any frowns upon this?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I've heard several different point of views about giving your own shots. The most important was if you purchase the shots from a place like TSC, they usually aren't stored properly, and it in the end causes the shot not to work. The so called "professional" breeder I bought Koda from, they did their own shots, and he ended up with parvo b/c the shots weren't any good. It's really up to you. :?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I give DA2PPv myself. It's very important, though, that they be shipped and stored correctly (i.e.cold) or they lose their effectiveness. If you would like, I can ask where the group buys ours.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Id appreciate that!!

Which shot is that.. according to the guideline given on here this is what he'll need:

9-11 Weeks
Wellness Exam
Distemper / Hepatitus / Parainfluenza
Parvo Virus II / Corona Virus Booster
Fecal (worm check)
Second Deworm

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
DA2PPv is Distemper, Ardenovirus type 2 (probably not spelled right), Parainfluenza, Parvovirus. There are several different combinations. I think the one you're looking for is DHLPPC - distemper, hepatitis, leptosporosis, parvo, parainfluenza, corona virus. We used to use that one, so I will send out an email tomorrow (Thursday) to find out who our supplier is.

Do you know what kind of dewormer was used the first time? We have used Strongid for years, but I'm about to give up on that one because it doesn't kill tapes, whips, or hooks. I like the prescription wormers better - drontal plus and panacur are best, but available only with a prescription. You can get a generic drontal plus from australia, and supposedly SafeGuard is the same drug as in panacur, but I don't know for sure.

I'll get some info for you. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do not vaccinate for Leptospira yet it can be fatal if given before 12 weeks. There is some dispute over Leptospira, to give or not, but it can be given at 12 weeks. Puppies need DA2PPv or some form of that. I run a foster program for a no kill rescue and vac all dogs myself I did 10 today. I order mine online from jeffers, you just don't want to buy them from your local feed and seed because of as said earler the way they are stored. When ordering I have mine shipped overnight, I order 25 at a time I'm not sure you will save money once you pay the shipping charge.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for working on gettin me some info!! I really appreciate it

·
Registered
594 Posts
k19smith said:
Do not vaccinate for Leptospira yet it can be fatal if given before 12 weeks. There is some dispute over Leptospira, to give or not, but it can be given at 12 weeks. Puppies need DA2PPv or some form of that. I run a foster program for a no kill rescue and vac all dogs myself I did 10 today. I order mine online from jeffers, you just don't want to buy them from your local feed and seed because of as said earler the way they are stored. When ordering I have mine shipped overnight, I order 25 at a time I'm not sure you will save money once you pay the shipping charge.
I was gonna say that!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts