Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about starting the dogs on glucosamine supplements. They get raw bones as treats once or twice a week, and I've read that these are an excellent source of naturally-occuring glucosamine. Do I even need to bother with glucosamine supplements, or is there not enough glucosamine in raw bones?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Im not sure of that one, but I do know my dogs are on Nutro Large Breed Puppy which contains glucosamine, and the vet recommended glucosamine supplements as well.

After what happened to my Sassy, I swear by glucosamine!

·
Registered
576 Posts
sajoseph, I don't have a firm opinion either way, but there is some controversy on large breed puppy foods. Some say that there may be too much protein for the bully breeds which can sometimes be bad for the hips while they're growing. check it out if you're interested.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Can they have raw bones?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
smoked bones are the way to go and yes you can still supplement :)
the bone marrow is more of a benefit for their coat than anything

also, dog food with glucosamine usually is of a level where supplementing can still be totally fine. If the levels of glucosamine are not listed on the bag, email or contact the company if concerned, but I wouldn't worry..it's usually a very small amount. I would not call the amount that's put in food to be a "clinical" dose, but more of an added bonus.

ps: I would not rely solely on glucosamine if your dog is arthritic. If your dog is not arthritic, ester C supplementation is a great way to help prevent arthritis, (as well as to treat it as it is a precursor to bone+tissue growth)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
angie7349 said:
Can they have raw bones?
Yes,I give Buster and Molly marrow bones once a week.They love it and it keeps them busy for an hour or so but I keep a close eye on them cause once they start to naw on the bone I take it from them.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm pretty new at this whole raw thing but it's to my understanding that most of the glucosamine is located in the bones that contain joints. Several people feed chicken feet , wings , legs etc. I give my dogs glucosamin/chondroiton/msm along with esther-c. It has really helped with Chico. I just get human grade vitamins at Trader Joe's. I think it's more affordable than the pet products.
I use the guidelines that Carrie posted on the old forum.
http://www.bulldogbreedsforum.com/forum/viewthread?thread=5261#46373
-Amber

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Okay I looked into it and I think I will stick with supplements :shock: http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html I let Tora have bones now but she can't crack them just yet when I see that she can there goes the bones,,,,,,,,,I am overly precautious sometimes but this one scares me.

RAW BONES OR COOKED BONES... ARE EITHER SAFE?
This page questions the SAFETY of feeding whole BONES to dogs.

Feeding raw foods such as meat, eggs, fish, fruit and vegetables can be tremendously beneficial to dogs and cats. Raw foods retain many health-enhancing benefits that cooked foods may lack. ThePetCenter encourages pet owners to look into the advantages and disadvantages of feeding raw foods. If you "do it yourself" by composing a homemade diet for your pets you must be very careful that the amounts and ratios of nutrients are correct. The eventual effects of deficiencies, imbalances and over-supplementing a diet may not show detrimental effects in an animal for months after an improper diet has been fed.

For a report on the Nutritional Value of Bones, read this.

There are people who will tell you that feeding bones is natural and healthy for dogs, and that feeding bones promotes clean teeth and aids the nutritional status of the animal. Well, mushrooms are natural, too, and certain kinds will kill a dog if eaten. Pine trees are alive with vital cellular nutrients of all kinds, but does that imply that we should grind up pine trees and feed them to our pets in order to provide their "vital nutrients" to our pets? I will share with you just a few examples of many where a dog has been very seriously harmed by ingesting bones...YES, EVEN RAW BONES!

It is my belief that feeding bones to dogs is not perfectly safe to do. Many experienced and knowledgeable veterinarians feel the same. Yes, there are some veterinarians who encourage the feeding of raw, whole bones. Pet owners must decide for themselves what really makes sense and what just seems like a good thing to do. Lets go right to the first x-rays, below left, and I will show you a case that was presented to Dr. Ray Goodroad in Rhinelander, Wisconsin in December, 1998. This hound of about 75 pounds was found by his owner feeding on a dead deer carcass. The dog became very lethargic, attempted unsuccessfully to vomit and pass stool, and was dehydrated. This dog was feeding NATURALLY on RAW BONES and you can see the results.

Click on the photo for an enlarged view. To return here, simply click your back button.

Now take a look at the two x-rays on the right. This dog was straining to pass stool, was weak and dehydrated when presented to the veterinarian, and had a history of raiding the neighbor's garbage cans. Both dogs required four days in the hospital, anesthesia and sedation, repeated enemas, i.v. fluid therapy, antibiotics, and additional x-rays. If this treatment approach wasn't successful, major surgery would have been necessary to save the dogs from an agonizing death.

Now, for those of you who state with confidence that "Wolves in the wild eat bones all the time; so it must be OK for dogs to do the same", I would ask you this... How many times have you even seen a healthy wolf? How can you state with authority that wolves are NOT occasionally harmed by a bone splinter? I can tell you this: If a wolf unluckily happens to become disabled by intestinal bone fragments such as the dogs in these examples were, the wolf's cousins would dispatch the sick wolf in moments "...and unto dust thou shalt return". Hardly anyone ever sees even a healthy wolf, how much more unlikely would it be to happen upon a sick wolf when being a "sick wolf" is equivalent to a swift death sentence! We don't get many opportunity to do autopsies on dead wolves. For a list of unedited, honest replies from wolf care managers regarding the question of whether or not consuming bones is safe for wolves, look at this page.

Hard "round" bones are no different. As well as creating the chance for major problems, such as death, gnawing on bones often results in the cracking of the tips of the 4th premolars. These cracked teeth can lead to root infections and SUBORBITAL ABSCESSES that require tooth reconstruction or extraction. I have seen these cases frequently in practice. Lets be practical... the nutritional benefits from feeding bones to your dog are derived from the soft tissues attached to the bone such as meat, cartilage, fat and connective tissue... not from the bones themselves. Bone is composed of minerals that are common in many ordinary foods. The scant protein matrix in bone is mainly collagen and dogs can't digest and assimilate collagen! So where's all that great nutritional benefit that is supposed to be coming from the actual "bone" really coming from? It comes from the meat, cartilage, fat and connective tissue that happens to be along for the ride. Read about the actual nutritional content of raw bone.

Just for fun, though, lets assume there are great benefits to be derived from feeding bones, but with that benefit comes the slight chance that drastic major surgery may be needed to save your dog's life as a result of feeding those bones...WHY DO IT??!! Very nutritious foods are available, some have ground bone as part of the recipe and the ground bone poses no threat.

The photos below (click on them to see the full view) show a common occurrence where a bone fragment has broken and lodged between the upper molars. These dogs are in acute stress and need attention immediately. Fortunately, these cases resolve easily simply by removing the bone manually.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I will check into it, thank you!(the large breed puppy food!)

I use the glucosamine due to the fact it also prevents injuries that will one day plague your dog with arthritus. Sassy played tug o war her whole life and her jaw locked up last year and had to have 2 surgeries. She can only open a tiny bit to this day, but if Ida used Glucosamine, the injury most likely would have been prevented!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts